doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gr8day Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 12:08 AM
I bought my first English gun recently and would like some suggestions on books to read. I've seen good reviews on Haddock and Boothroyd. Any others? If anyone has one to sell, let me know too.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 12:48 AM
The absolute best book on English guns is "A Hunter's Life in South Africa" by R. Gordon Cumming

"The British Shotgun" (three volumes) by I.M. Crudgington and D.J. Baker

Or any book written by either of those two authors.
Posted By: bonny Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 01:21 AM
"vintage guns for the modern shot" by Diggory Hadoke. Also check out hadokes website, vintageguns.co.uk.
Posted By: baldrick Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 01:26 AM
Lock, Stock, & Barrel by Cyril Adams & Robert Braden; Shotguns & Cartridges for game and clays by Gough Thomas; The Shotgun by T.D.S. Purdey & Capt. J.A. Purdey.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 01:32 AM
The British Boxlock, Gun and Rifle by Diggory Hadoke

The House of Churchill by Donald Masters
Posted By: trw999 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 08:53 AM
The Modern Shotgun by Major Sir Gerald Burrard

The Shotgun, History & Development by Geoffrey Boothroyd

Experts on Guns & Shooting by GT Teasdale-Buckell

Game Guns & Rifles by Richard Akehurst

Heyday of the Shotgun by David Baker

Modern Sporting Guns by Christopher Austen

For in-depth research:

The British Shotgun Vols I-III by Ian Crudgington & David Baker

British Gunmakers Vols I-III by Nigel Brown

Tim
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 10:44 AM
And of course,
Greener, The Gun and its Development
Posted By: lagopus Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 03:12 PM
If it's general English guns then trw999 has it spot on but I would also add The British Sporting Gun & Rifle by Donald Dallas.

Saskbooknut also mentions one that is a 'must have'. Even if you get just one book then this should be it; even though the last and 9th. edition goes back to 1910 it is a great reference work and a great read too. Lagopus.....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 04:35 PM
'
Originally Posted By: lagopus
If it's general English guns then trw999 has it spot on but I would also add The British Sporting Gun & Rifle by Donald Dallas.

Saskbooknut also mentions one that is a 'must have'. Even if you get just one book then this should be it; even though the last and 9th. edition goes back to 1910 it is a great reference work and a great read too. Lagopus.....

I couldn't disagree more with my English Brethren, The BEST book to read is the one written by Cumming, 'A Hunter's Life in South Africa'

After reading that book then start your library.
Posted By: trw999 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 07:22 PM
I have not read the book you champion treblig1958. However, looking at the synopsis, I would say it doesn't quite address Gr8days original request, which seemed to be for recommended books about English guns, as opposed to good hunting stories.

Your book sounds interesting: "Five years of a hunter's life in the far interior of South Africa. With notices of the native tribes, and anecdotes of the chase of the lion, elephant, hippopotamus, giraffe, rhinoceros, &c" Not much mention about the history, development, patents, technological advances over several decades and so on that I suspect was what was behind the request.

Either way, I shall have to get 'your' book and read it for myself if it is as good as you say!

Tim
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/09/16 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: trw999
I have not read the book you champion treblig1958. However, looking at the synopsis, I would say it doesn't quite address Gr8days original request, which seemed to be for recommended books about English guns, as opposed to good hunting stories.

Your book sounds interesting: "Five years of a hunter's life in the far interior of South Africa. With notices of the native tribes, and anecdotes of the chase of the lion, elephant, hippopotamus, giraffe, rhinoceros, &c" Not much mention about the history, development, patents, technological advances over several decades and so on that I suspect was what was behind the request.

Either way, I shall have to get 'your' book and read it for myself if it is as good as you say!

Tim

Tim, first and foremost he'll understand why English guns are so revered.
Posted By: Chantry Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/10/16 06:35 PM
I'll add Vintage British Shotguns by Terry Weiland
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Gr8day
I bought my first English gun recently and would like some suggestions on books to read. I've seen good reviews on Haddock and Boothroyd. Any others? If anyone has one to sell, let me know too.

What books do you need or still need or can't find? smile
Posted By: GLS Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 06:53 PM
The only problem with getting a book on English guns is that for the most part most of us will never own one as nice as is depicted in the books. I'm ready to burn Dig's book because of this. wink Gil
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 07:04 PM
I really dislike Dig!!!
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 07:23 PM
First of all, thank everyone for the suggestions. I see books come up for sale here from time to time, and this thread gives me bit of a reference. I'm most interested in the history of the makers, their innovations, and how they were inter-related. I have bookmarked several old threads here, one of which focused on which makers made what guns for whom. Fascinating stuff.

Here is the gun I bought FWIW:

http://s465.photobucket.com/user/gr8day2016/slideshow/Hussey

Posted By: lagopus Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 07:51 PM
You've got a belter there; well done. Hussy has a very convoluted history. The book that you need that will give you more information about yours is Atkin, Grant & Lang by Don Masters. Hussey was part of that group and is well covered in that book. You will make a few envious on this forum. Lagopus.....
Posted By: GLS Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 08:09 PM
Damn. Nice gun.
That gun is excepted from what I said about books. That gun could be in one of those books.
Gil
Posted By: baldrick Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 09:12 PM
Photographing beautiful double guns on rocks drives me crazy.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 10:47 PM
That H. J. Hussey shines, really shines!!! Good find!!!
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 11:47 PM
Thanks. I am very careful about placing guns on those stone steps. It is a location where there is good indirect lighting and the background textures just seem to work. I have not had a mishap yet. My crowded safe does more damage.
Posted By: GLS Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/15/16 11:50 PM
I never looked beyond the gun until I saw the critique....
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Recommended books on English guns - 03/16/16 04:36 PM
Another vote for The British Shotgun by Crudgington and Baker.
Three Volumes stuffed full of information on design and patents etc all for a reasonable price.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com