doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 78CJ Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 05:14 PM
I have a Parker Repro 20 that is cast off considerably. I am left handed and love the gun. I have a supply of Black Walnut and am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a quality duplicator that can duplicate the original stock for me without harming it then I can have my new stock fitted to me and keep the original.

Thanks

Ryan
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 05:53 PM
Can't the current stock be bent? Most are Claro walnut and I think they usually bend fairly easy.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 05:56 PM
I have considered that option and would love to do that but am afraid of damaging it. Any input on this option will be appreciated.

Ryan
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 07:14 PM
All duplicators of which I am aware (not many really), need to modify the copied stock in order to fixture it to the duplicator. That doesn't sound like what you desire. Many stock outfits will use your wood. It might pay to make a few calls.

Richard's Micro-Fit
Treebone Carving
Et al.
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 07:23 PM
I have a pantograph machine(duplicator)and most set ups require at least gluing some pieces of wood to the existing stock temporarily. A careful craftsman can remove the blocks after the duplicating process and not leave a trace. While I do not like running nice stocks through my machine as patterns(accidents can and do happen)it can be done with lots of careful set up. As to correcting the cast, it can be done on the machine or through a bend. All stock bends have some risk associated with them as well but usually bending a Parker with a sound stock for cast is not an issue. Hope that helps,
Steve
Posted By: keith Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 07:54 PM
I have a question for Ryan. You say your present Parker stock is considerably cast off. Are you saying it is considerably cast off for a right handed shooter? If so, I can see your reluctance to try to bend a stock from being considerably cast off for a right hander to cast off for a left hander. Just going to a neutral cast might be OK from a breakage standpoint, but it might not be enough to fit you properly. Taking it even further to give cast off for a southpaw could be the straw that breaks the Parker's stock. The more the bend, the greater the risk.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 08:18 PM
Yes, it is cast off RH a lot. I have not measured it but it is visible immediately. I would probably shoot for neutral. My other thought with duplicating was to find someone with an english Parker pattern already.
Posted By: David Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 08:45 PM
This is a Parker Repro, not a Parker, correct? I have seen a lot of them with really beautiful wood and several that have runout in the wrist. Examine the grain structure through the wrist before attempting a bend. A friend of mine with a 20g. Parker Repro, with a beautiful stock, had it break through the wrist under normal recoil. Jim Greenwood was able to make an invisible repair, but it takes the wind out of your sails when you fire the gun and then find you have the action, barrels, and forearm in one hand and the buttstock in the other.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 08:47 PM
Is n't it cast off for a right hander ,& cast on for a left hander??
franc
Posted By: keith Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Is n't it cast off for a right hander ,& cast on for a left hander??
franc

Indeed it is. I worded my previous post incorrectly. I assume that part of Ryan's reluctance to bend his stock would be to keep the original wood for any possible future resale to a right handed shooter. The problem with stock bending is that no-one can guarantee that the wood won't break. Of course, that risk may be relatively minor with a slight bend in great wood. But you get no warning until it is too late and damage is done.
Posted By: builder Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 09:14 PM
Some stocks bend like rubber when heated and some don't and some return to original over time. If this stock was bent once heating and bending back to original might relieve any stress it has now and allow it to be bent in the other direction. When bending under heat, the operator can feel if he is pushing it too far sometimes and stop. It is not as big a crap shoot as you are being led to believe. there is still risk.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 02/29/16 11:52 PM
I have considered selling and finding something similar. What is the double at the top of the main page. I want that in 20 Ga....
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 01:10 AM
Contact Mike Orlen in Amherst, MA to have it bent. Cost is less than $150. He has bent probably 10 stocks for me. Never a problem.
Posted By: tut Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 01:44 AM
IF you go the duplication route, I believe some folks wrap the stock in painters tape so the tracing needle won't mess up the exterior finish and then they do glue blocks on the front and back of the stock.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 01:49 AM
I think the Parker Repros were essentially straight cast. If that is the case, your gun may have already been bent, so going back home may not be too much of a risk
Posted By: George Pittelko Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 02:28 AM
Another thing to consider is after the bend - in time, you may get some spring back. I have a very nice 32" sporter with great wood that I purchased with 1/4" cast-on (left hand). I had the stock bent to 1/4" cast off (right hand). Several months later, the stock moved about 1/8" back towards cast-on. I corrected this problem by installing an adjustable comb to compensate. Keep in mind, my gun is an O/U sporter. Stock movement can happen.
Posted By: BillK Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 03:06 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but how difficult or dangerous is to bend a stock upwards to reduce excessive drop, (like a lot of old guns have)? Is it easier to bend a straight grip than a pistol grip?
BillK
Posted By: tut Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 10:28 AM
I believe grain flow of the wood and the type of wood has more to do with whether they can be bent or not then whether they pistol or straightgrip. Believe that true quartersawn wood is easier to bend up or down as compared to slab sawn wood. I've heard English bends much easier then American Black walnut. I think a guy who bends a bunch can tell you pretty quick. FWIW, I had a Fox restocked in English that I had bent for both cast and for drop. The stockmaker said it was easy as hell to bend.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 78CJ
I have considered selling and finding something similar. What is the double at the top of the main page. I want that in 20 Ga....

Pretty sure it's a Merkel.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/01/16 05:34 PM
Just talked with Mike this morning. We are going to give it a go at bending.
Posted By: Boats Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/02/16 01:03 PM
I need about 1/4 inch less drop at heel than most Parkers. Have had 5 bent with no problems. None collector guns all shooters crack would not have been a real tragedy, could have been repaired, worth the risk.

If it's a valuable gun with resale value, most reproduction Parkers are, much better to sell and buy one that fits than bend the stock. Re-stock reproduction is not cost effective under any circumstance

My opinion take it for what it cost.

Boats
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/02/16 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Boats
I need about 1/4 inch less drop at heel than most Parkers. Have had 5 bent with no problems. None collector guns all shooters crack would not have been a real tragedy, could have been repaired, worth the risk.

If it's a valuable gun with resale value, most reproduction Parkers are, much better to sell and buy one that fits than bend the stock. Re-stock reproduction is not cost effective under any circumstance

My opinion take it for what it cost.

Boats

Selling was my original thought. I don't have the case. There are a few light marks in the butt. Any idea on value? I have not gotten an e-mail back from Mike.

Ryan
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/02/16 06:07 PM
Well, looking in the classifieds it seems the twin to mine sold a month and a half ago here for $2900.

Ryan
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Stock Duplicating - 03/23/16 03:30 PM
Well, fingers crossed. Just got off the phone with Mike and he said its bent and headed back. Can't wait!

Ryan
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com