doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LeverHead Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/06/16 09:09 PM
Has anyone has experience with Chapuis shotguns? I know they make double rifles that are well regarded, but I'm not sure how their rounded action shotguns are.

The new ones at Orvis look amazing, though.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/06/16 11:34 PM
Are you talking about this gun? Pretty sure it is Spanish, not French:
Orvis Classic
Their OUs are made by Guerini, I believe.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/06/16 11:45 PM
I wonder who is making these somewhat under $7000 guns for Orvis?
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 12:11 AM
Sorry, I should've linked.

These guns

They are essentially Chiapus Progresses. Orvis started carrying them in 2015, with their name stamped on them.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 02:27 PM
Dude, you know they build these, right?

http://www.chapuis-armes.com/lang-en/17-africain

If Chapuis can build a double rifle that people, AFTER USING THEM, hold in high regard they can easily build a world class shotgun.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 05:49 PM
I know, they're more known for their double rifles. They are considered a "cheaper" alternative to Merkel double rifles, though, but as far as their field shotguns go they are priced similarly.

I'm saving for a Merkel, but these Chapuis have caught my attention, and I want to do my due diligence before purchasing anything.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 07:12 PM
You're down to either a Merkel or Chapuis double, that's a tough choice.
Posted By: gunut Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 07:13 PM
looks like a nicely made gun.....and merkel just cheapened their models....makes this look like a even better deal if your buying new......
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/07/16 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: gunut
looks like a nicely made gun.....and merkel just cheapened their models....makes this look like a even better deal if your buying new......

I'd like new-old-stock or as-new for a Merkel.

The new 40e's with the printed-on looking laser engraving don't do it for me. I would've preferred that they just omit engraving altogether and blue the receiver.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 03:11 AM
Funny that those guns don't appear on the Orvis website. I have seen a handful of similar inquiries about Chapuis scatterguns here and elsewhere but few responses. Not sure what to make of that. I would want to know how Orvis would handle servicing. The action on the Chapuis is neither A&D box lock nor triggerplate and may be unfamiliar to many gunsmiths.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 12:45 PM
I stumbled across the gun while emailing Orvis' gun room curator, who told me to look at them when I told him what I was looking for in a Merkel. I had noticed this GI listing maybe an hour before he directed me to it.

He said that, though they only started working together in 2015, that Chapuis is a wonderful company for them to do business with. Orvis is an established enough importer that I don't think I'd feel uncomfortable going through them for any warranty repairs, which are lifetime of the original owner of the gun.

The action is pretty unusual for a shotgun, but it looks like it's the same as their more popular double rifles. It's a blitz action, similar to what some European O/U's use, along with Barettas 486.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 02:25 PM
That Ovis classic 20 on GI is one fine looking shotgun. I love the engraving pattern and rounded action. After going back to it numerous times, the only thing I saw that would have been nice would have been a long TG tang.

I would love to see this gun and a Bournbrook side by side.

LH, Did Orvis give you any weights per gauge?
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 02:50 PM
I just asked.

20ga is listed at 5.75lbs
12ga at 6.75.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 05:52 PM
German guns are stout, French guns handle and balance like a dream. Its your choice.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 06:53 PM
I've found Merkels to be clunky looking but extremely well balanced and handle a lot better than their square jaw suggests.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: LeverHead
I've found Merkels to be clunky looking

Life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun. smile
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/09/16 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ithaca1
I've found Merkels to be clunky looking

Life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun. smile

Yeah... Plus, who wouldn't love something slender and French in their lives?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/10/16 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: gunut

I'd like new-old-stock or as-new for a Merkel.

The new 40e's with the printed-on looking laser engraving don't do it for me. I would've preferred that they just omit engraving altogether and blue the receiver.
I had a Merkel 20ga 147EL you might have liked. Essentially plain coin-finished receiver with the Merkel coat of arms in gold on the bottom. Marked "Classic". I've never seen another one like it. Very attractive gun. I traded it to my hunting partner, who lusted after it. He moved on as well. But not because it wasn't a well-made and very reliable gun. A bit heavier than the Chapuis at 6 1/4 with 28" barrels.

As for something slender and French . . . I had a colleague in the diplomatic corps who married a French woman. Very attractive. But there's a saying something to the effect that Americans dream of French women, but if they marry them, they're awakened by a nightmare.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/10/16 02:53 PM
That's interesting, LB. I've never seen a Merkel like that.

I don't mind the little extra weight to mitigate recoil a little. This gun will see hunting and casual clays, and I'm 6'0" 200lbs, so carrying a 6.5 lb gun isn't going to kill me.

Balance, handling and longevity are my main concerns.
Posted By: JNW Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 01:27 AM
That Orvis/Chapuis is a very nice looking gun, but I do not appreciate the laser engraving. Some of the laser engraving coming out of Italy today is very nice, but I'd rather have a little real engraving. Just my opinion.
There are German guns that look more classic and handle well. My 16 gauge Simson has nice, simple scroll work and at 6.5# handles very well for me. My Merkel 200 o/u, while definitely looking "Germanic", handles as well as any SxS game gun - it is a wand.
Jeff
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 12:31 PM
I understand. If the engraving has different depths and is intricate enough, I don't think I'd mind. It's the modern printed-on stuff that I can't abide.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 12:43 PM
Wow, I would have thought at that price point the engraving would have been real. Took the wind right out of my sails.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 01:23 PM
If you're talking a gun in the $4-5K price range, you can assume it's not hand engraving if there's more than a very little of it.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 01:33 PM
Bro Larry,
I have been away from my sxs's for about 10 years. Still getting my bearings back. Things have changed. One thing that has been a constant though, is my love for Flues guns. smile
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 01:42 PM
Wow, I would have thought at that price point the engraving would have been real. Took the wind right out of my sails.

The cheapest full coverage hand engraved gun I can think of is the Merkel 147e which can be had at ~$5600. It's not to everyone's taste, though.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/11/16 02:56 PM
Bro Larry,
I have been away from my sxs's for about 10 years. Still getting my bearings back. Things have changed. One thing that has been a constant though, is my love for Flues guns. smile

Speaking of the Flues, now that's engraving!!!!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 02/12/16 09:07 PM
Bro Larry,

They're very nice. My first American classic was a Flues Field Grade 16ga. Nice enough gun, but it didn't really fit me. Most of them have too much drop for me.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 04/09/16 08:11 PM
I'm digging this one back up...

After doing so much research I should be getting paid for it, I think I'm going to order a Chapuis RGP from Champlin Arms in OK, stocked to fit me.

George actually came in at a price that was about 15% under the off-the-rack Orvis gun. I actually like the engraving of the Orvis a little better, but for a gun made to fit me from a very well regarded dealer who is known for standing behind what they sell, I feel like that's tough to pass up.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 04/09/16 09:14 PM
A French gun stocked to fit you? You can't beat that combination.

How about some pics after you get it? smile
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Orvis Classic / Chapuis Armes - 04/10/16 01:58 AM
LeverHead, congrats on your decision/purchase.

George @ Champlin prices guns to sell guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com