doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom C Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 03:12 PM
I was quoted $150 by UPS to ship a gun from Wisconsin to the east coast with $2,500 insurance. That seems high. Is this typical?
Posted By: Tom C Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 03:14 PM
And that was for a standard ground shipment.
Posted By: old wildfowler Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 03:20 PM
The UPS stores can charge ANY PRICE for insurance.
Send and insure at the REAL UPS, much cheaper NOT A UPS STORE
I had the same thing. A friend told me how to do it
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 03:53 PM
I just had a SXS gun sent to me by my engraver via USPS priority 1 day mail. It was broken down in 2 soft cases in a double box. It was instate PA about 60 miles. I don't know if the distance were longer how much of an upcharge there would have been.

The total cost was $16.00
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 04:01 PM
Last year I shipped a Citori via USPS from GA to Oregon or Washington state for $30-40, insured for 1K. That seemed reasonable to me. That was also a standard non-expedited service. Arrived without issues in about 5 days.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 04:12 PM
Barrels from TX to CO. With $600.00 insurance, it was $27.15 USPS.
Posted By: Eis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 04:52 PM
Remember that insurance at a UPS Store is void, they will take your money but you do not receive any insurance since in their fine print they do not ship or insure guns. Yes if you have a loss they will refund your insurance..Only ship from a UPS depot and not a UPS store, two different animals or ship USPS insured. Both will be cheaper then what you were quoted
Posted By: Jim Thoma Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 04:55 PM
I usually ship fed ex ground with insurance and is very reasonable
Posted By: Doverham Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 05:01 PM
My gun insurance policy covers loss/damage in transit. If yours does too, you can avoid paying the shipper's insurance charge.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 06:43 PM
I've actually stopped using UPS and went to the Post Office. Roughly $35 will ship and insure a gun to just about anywhere in the US of A.
Posted By: steve f Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 07:20 PM
Print your shipping labels at home. There is a discount when you print from home and Priority Mail is usually a good option for long arms. I also print Fedex and UPS labels at home. I bought a pretty nice digital postal scale on Amazon for under $20 that will weigh items up to 55lbs.

As far as the price you were quoted, I just mailed a 15 lb package (non gun) from Atlanta to Honolulu for $59 Priority Mail but that was no insurance.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 07:39 PM
I sent a double, in two separate packages, to PA yesterday via FedEx. The barrels and f/e weighed 6lbs. It was $22.23, with $1000 insurance. The buttstock/receiver weighed 5 lbs., it was $16.13, with $400 insurance.

When I'm dealing with something very hard to replace, I ship in two separate packages, each insured.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 08:19 PM
Stan, If I were to ship in two packages, I'd be tempted to insure each package for the value of the whole gun if the gun was a hard to replace gun. If either the barrel or action was lost or destroyed, my concern would be if the remaining part was of marketable value by itself.
Best, Gil
Posted By: Tom C Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. I had my secretary at the office check on pricing again with UPS and this time she actually measured the box!!! Go figure:( Since she got the size correct this time is only cost $38.92 with insurance.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/05/16 10:54 PM
You're probably right, but the reason I did it that way, Gil, was that this is a Fox gun I am having built from component parts. They told me I can only collect on the proven value of the part I have insured. I.e., if I cannot prove the barrels are worth $1000, they will not pay $1000 in case of loss or total destruction. So, if I had insured each package for the full value of the gun I couldn't have collected the full amount unless both packages were lost/destroyed.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/06/16 12:31 PM
Stan, I see your point. I was thinking more of a completed gun, for instance a pre-war Birmie by a lesser known maker. If the barrel were lost, you'd have an expensive paperweight with the remaining action or a sturdy tomato stake vice versa, wink Gil
Posted By: Joe Coll Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/06/16 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Thoma
I usually ship fed ex ground with insurance and is very reasonable

Fed Ex told me that there policy says that firearms must be shipped overnight priority. They charged me $160 for a double brokendown into two pieces. I feel violated!

Joe
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/06/16 04:46 PM
I sent mine priority, too, but it only cost $38.36. Might not have been overnight, tho.

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/06/16 08:06 PM
Sounds like there are stinkers in the FedEx world as well.
Posted By: Boats Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 04:36 AM
I always buy a 20 dollar hard case from Dicks. Pay my local packing store Another 20 to put it in a cardboard golf club shipping box with peanuts around. The to the Post office for Priority Mail and insurance. Figure rough 75 to 100 bucks to get a gun to somebody's dealer.

Money spent on packing is cheap insurance, saves a lot of aggravation potential.

Boats
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 12:15 PM
I sent my gun out FedEx Priority Thursday afternoon and by noon yesterday Dewey had received it, looked it over, and called to talk about it. Not bad for 38 bucks.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 12:15 PM
I sent my gun out FedEx Priority Thursday afternoon and by noon yesterday Dewey had received it, looked it over, and called to talk about it. Not bad for 38 bucks.

SRH
Posted By: susjwp Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 12:28 PM
i sent a gun to Brad Bachelder Wednesday pm via FX with signature required from LI/NY and it was delivered and signed for by 11am Friday. 28.00. packed it myself, broke down, box within a larger box with ample bubble wrap around all.
Posted By: Joe Coll Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

The woman at FedEx insisted that it must be sent overnight per FedEx policy because it's a firearm. Is everyone here telling the shipper that they are shipping firearms?
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 04:52 PM
I've always found USPS 3-day Priority is what has priced well for me, purchasing insurance that actually pays for losses. The key to good pricing even here is to limit the length of the box to avoid "over size" charges. So always break down a double gun into two pieces, and wrap separately then package into one box. Sometimes it even makes sense with a rifle to take the barreled action out of the stock to minimize overall length.
Posted By: SKB Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 04:56 PM
Cost savings is just an added bonus when breaking guns down to ship. The real advantage is the reduced chance of a broken stock. I always break guns down for shipping whenever practical.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 07:47 PM
Joe,

When I take the gun to have it shipped I have it already packaged and sealed up. I tell no one anything. Then again, I don't use an "official" FedEx facility. I ship from a local choke tube manufacturer's offices. They ship USPS and UPS daily as well, so however I want to send it I can. Also, since there are many packages coming in and going out each day, nobody asks anything. I have found that things go much smoother from someplace like that than from one of the "official" places.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/07/16 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
Cost savings is just an added bonus when breaking guns down to ship. The real advantage is the reduced chance of a broken stock. I always break guns down for shipping whenever practical.

100% agree.

SRH
Posted By: rapidfire Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 12:01 AM
I have shipped over 750 guns since I was licensed in 2000. I have never bought insurance. Instead I pack well, using bubble wrap, good cardboard and break the gun down when possible. Rarely have I had to buy much supplies either as I use what the guns came into my shop with. I have shipped guns from $600 to $6000 in selling value. Never had one claim and every package has gone through just like the mail you receive every day, but never use the post office for shipping. Think about it. Over the last 20 or 30 years or more, how many of your "bills" have been lost? I use this excellent delivery record to my advantage. I estimate my savings over those 15 years at about $15,000 to $18,000 and counting. Average shipping cost is $16 to $18 per package, once in a while $20 to $22 for a remote delivery. The fear factor has made a lot of money for shippers if you think about all the unused insurance fees people have purchased. Now, if you only ship one gun every couple years or so I guess it doesn't matter what you do.

rapidfire
Posted By: steve f Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Coll
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

The woman at FedEx insisted that it must be sent overnight per FedEx policy because it's a firearm. Is everyone here telling the shipper that they are shipping firearms?

Looks like the overnight requirement applies to handguns, not long guns.

Fedex per NRA
Posted By: JNW Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 04:15 AM
I just shipped a gun from MN to TX. USPS Priority Mail was $50, but I had it in a big 2 barrel case and then stuffed into a cardboard box that was 37" X 10" X 10". It's the toughest case for shipping I have that doesn't weigh a ton. I insured it for $4500, which is what it's worth, for another $60. It's hard to find 30" 20 bore Fox guns, so replacing it would be difficult and expensive and I consider the insurance necessary for me. I don't want to lose this.

I just researched shipping long guns. At the post office and UPS you don't have to tell them it's a gun. At Fed Ex you are supposed to inform them it's a gun. I don't know what would happen if you used Fed Ex, didn't tell them it was a gun and then had a claim. All shippers recommend that there should be nothing on the outside to indicate that there is a firearm inside. I've shipped with everyone at one time or another and the only problem I had was one Fed Ex store that insisted I ship a long gun overnight. It would have been way over $200, so I drove to a different Fed Ex office and had no problem. If you ship with your business account it's a lot cheaper than the price the general public pays.
I never like having to pack and ship a gun, but for some gunsmithing I have to ship if I want top quality craftsmen to work on my guns.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 02:17 PM
Holy smokes!!! I would set that insured figure at priceless, JNW. That wood, looks like a curl in there, is it maple? Combined with that sleek Fox action and you have a perfect blend. I bet it was tough to let that gun out of your sight.
Posted By: GLS Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: rapidfire
I have shipped over 750 guns since I was licensed in 2000. I have never bought insurance. Instead I pack well, using bubble wrap, good cardboard and break the gun down when possible. Rarely have I had to buy much supplies either as I use what the guns came into my shop with. I have shipped guns from $600 to $6000 in selling value. Never had one claim and every package has gone through just like the mail you receive every day, but never use the post office for shipping. Think about it. Over the last 20 or 30 years or more, how many of your "bills" have been lost? I use this excellent delivery record to my advantage. I estimate my savings over those 15 years at about $15,000 to $18,000 and counting. Average shipping cost is $16 to $18 per package, once in a while $20 to $22 for a remote delivery. The fear factor has made a lot of money for shippers if you think about all the unused insurance fees people have purchased. Now, if you only ship one gun every couple years or so I guess it doesn't matter what you do.

rapidfire

While I don't buy nor ship near that many guns, I get peace of mind with insurance. There are various factors that place the risk of loss during shipment either on the buyer or shipper. Absent an agreement as to who bears the loss, it depends upon state law's interpretation of the Uniform Commercial Code. If I were a volume seller of guns, I would have the buyer bear costs of shipping and insurance. This would be upfront and a part of the sales agreement and would cover to and from should the buyer return the gun. In other words, pass the costs on to the buyer. Yes, there are horror stories with getting FedEx and UPS to pay claims. You may call it "fear", but I call it "experience." I have had checks, documents, lost in the mail and near misses on FedEx and UPS. UPS and FedEx planes crash. I had to nix a firearms transaction when the Ithaca M37 arrived at my LGS with a broken stock, the gun having been sent fully assembled. I have had expensive radio equipment lost in shipment only to be found days before the insurance paid out. I also have health insurance, fire insurance, automobile liability and life insurance. It doesn't upset me that I haven't had to make a large claim on any of them, especially the life insurance. wink Gil
Posted By: rapidfire Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS
Originally Posted By: rapidfire

rapidfire

While I don't buy nor ship near that many guns, I get peace of mind with insurance. There are various factors that place the risk of loss during shipment either on the buyer or shipper. Absent an agreement as to who bears the loss, it depends upon state law's interpretation of the Uniform Commercial Code. If I were a volume seller of guns, I would have the buyer bear costs of shipping and insurance. This would be upfront and a part of the sales agreement and would cover to and from should the buyer return the gun. In other words, pass the costs on to the buyer. Yes, there are horror stories with getting FedEx and UPS to pay claims. You may call it "fear", but I call it "experience." I have had checks, documents, lost in the mail and near misses on FedEx and UPS. UPS and FedEx planes crash. I had to nix a firearms transaction when the Ithaca M37 arrived at my LGS with a broken stock, the gun having been sent fully assembled. I have had expensive radio equipment lost in shipment only to be found days before the insurance paid out. I also have health insurance, fire insurance, automobile liability and life insurance. It doesn't upset me that I haven't had to make a large claim on any of them, especially the life insurance. wink Gil

You are talking mostly about claims for "damage", not flat out "never found". I package well to avoid the damage, which in most cases damage is due to poor packing, not being driven over by a UPS truck or the very, very rare airplane crash. You are really talking an extreme exception, not the rule. Maybe everyone should stay inside, because people have been hit by meteors. I do charge my customers for shipping and use the money left over to cover auction fees and delivery to shipping stations. Like I said, if you only ship a gun once in a while, do what you like, but not me. I will continue to follow my procedure as it sure has it's dividends.

rapidfire
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 10:37 PM
You are living a charmed life, to have shipped 750 guns with never a need for a claim. Evidently, Murphy's Law doesn't apply to you, like it does to me.

As for me, I'd rather pay a few dollars extra, a few times a year, than lose an expensive gun without any means for reimbursement.

SRH
Posted By: rapidfire Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/08/16 11:19 PM
Nothing wrong with what you are doing. It's along the lines of purchasing extended warranties on vehicles or buying identity protection. Someone has to help out in making companies a hefty profit.

rapidfire
Posted By: JNW Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/09/16 01:06 AM
Treblig,
It's actually Turkish. Unusual to get this kind of figure, but there it is. It's actually better looking in person.
Jeff
Posted By: PERLY88 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/09/16 03:06 AM
JNW: That is really an amazing gun! I'll bet it was not easy to find that one!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/09/16 03:09 AM
This board has a lot of guys that have restocked their Fox shotguns in some stunning wood. Someone should start a picture thread on them. smile
Posted By: JNW Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/11/16 01:06 AM
My gun, sent priority mail, was actually delivered and signed for in about 24 hours. Well worth the money in my book.
The Fox collectors website has lots of pics of nice guns, both original and redone.
Jeff
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Cost of shipping guns - 02/11/16 02:29 AM
I have shipped long guns to an FFL via the Post Office. Note, only an FFL can put a handgun in the mail.

If I was ever to ship a very valuable gun, I would make sure it was insured and I would make sure that I had some sort of official looking receipt or appraisal in the eventuality that I needed to prove that the gun I shipped really was worth that much. Just because you insure something for a particular amount does not mean that the insurer will agree it was worth what you declared.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com