doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BrianB Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 06:13 PM
I have an afternoon open while there next week. Any suggestions for gunshops or a shooting venue? Thanks.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 06:20 PM
SLC proper or one of the 'burbs?

If you are going to be near SLC proper then you might like to visit Gallensons on the corner of 200 South and 200 East near downtown. Lots of stuff.

Other then Gallensons we don't have alot of 'good' gunshops. South of SLC about 15 minutes will get you to Sportsmans Warehouse in Sandy, UT. Another 15 minutes will get you to Cabelas Lehi, UT.

Most of my nicer gun purchases have been the luck of walking into the right pawnshop at the right time.

Shooting is a bit more difficult. Some of the clays ranges have odd hours during the week and may be changing to summer hours now. None are very close to SLC proper but with a car easy enought to get to. I can't remember if any of them have rental guns.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 06:22 PM
Cabela's gun library gets my vote. They are about 1/2 hour from downtown SLC.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 06:22 PM
I see you are in Chicago. I just returned from a week in Chicago. Nice place to visit but I'll take the SLC area any day over Chicago.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 06:30 PM
Yeah, West Valley and Rose Park are really great places.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 07:22 PM
My first home in Utah was in Rose Park. It does not deserve a really bad reputation. My home in Phoenix was purchased purposely in rough neighborhood to save some money. At least in Rose Park I knew who my neighbors were. Heck my old neighborhood in south Phoenix had more shootings in one year then all of Utah the year I moved here.

BTW - IM, I hadn't noticed before that you lived in Utah. What part? I am now in the NSL, Centerville, Bountiful area.

Brian,

Normally I would be glad to run you around to our few good shops or take you shooting but I'll be out of town for work next week.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 07:43 PM
I live in Layton. I'm originally from Ogden.
Brian you might also want to visit the Browning Firearms Museaum in Ogden.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Salt Lake City - 04/20/07 08:21 PM
Brian,

IM's idea is a good one. The Browning Museum is very interesting and there are a couple of other museums in the building including a railroad museum. Very interesting.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Salt Lake City - 04/21/07 08:50 PM
BrianB,
Hill AFB has a very nice skeet and trap range, they also have a fun 5 stand course set up. A round of skeet/trap is relatively cheap (last time I was there it was $3.50) and 5 stand is something like $5. The suggestions for the Browning Museum are good ones, its a neat place with alot of interesting stuff. This has nothing to do with hunting or guns, but if you want to see/go someplace really nice, take the short drive north up to Bear Lake. Its beautiful and theres a small shop there that has the best milkshakes ever made. You could also grab a fly rod and fish the Weber river around Devils Spine turnout, lots of browns and you'll have good luck on the whitefish as well. Lots of fun things to do in Utah, and the women are nice to look at too.

Dustin
Posted By: improved modified Re: Salt Lake City - 04/23/07 03:16 PM
I'll tell my wife, she'll be flattered.
Posted By: BrianB Re: Salt Lake City - 04/23/07 08:07 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've been there before and the area is really beautiful, but I've never had any time to explore. I'll try to work one of these in, probably the Browning museum. Thanks again.
Posted By: Bruce Bernacki Re: Salt Lake City - 04/23/07 09:22 PM
If you go to the Browning Museum, you might as well swing by the Gift House, a pawn shop up the street. I've found a couple of gems in there, but it is by no means a fine gun emporium. If you have a couple of extra hours you can tool up I-84 to the Browning Outlet store in Morgan, Utah (sorry, no blemished guns for sale).

I lived in Layton too for a couple of years when I worked at Iomega in Roy. I much enjoyed my time in Utah.

Bruce
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Salt Lake City - 04/23/07 10:16 PM
I spent some time in SLC 17-18 yrs ago and recall some interesting non-gun related places to see. The capitol building was pretty interesting as well as a cathedral downtown with gothic architecture that you can't miss.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com