doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sweep AYA Matador - 04/19/07 03:03 AM
I accidently posted this on the for sale page and could not delete it. I saw this gun for $400 and was wondering if anyone that owns one could tell me a little about them. This gun looks like it has not seen hardly any use at all. I liked it and it was in such good shape I bought it. It is a 12 gauge-SST- 26" barrels-ejectors-and beaver style forend. I have never seen any of these guns before. Are they good dependable guns?
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: AYA Matador - 04/19/07 03:25 AM
I"d think it is surely worth $400, in good condition. Enjoy it.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: AYA Matador - 04/19/07 01:09 PM
I just bought one too, nice condition, for about $500. Chopper lump barrels, ejectors, SST--although the trigger does have a lot of creep, as they seem to on most Matadors. But you sure as heck aren't going to buy anything comparable, new, for anywhere near that price.
Posted By: King Brown Re: AYA Matador - 04/19/07 03:10 PM
I bought a couple 20ga in the 60s, SST, a fine little gun. Triggers perfect. A 12ga Matador bought 10-12 years later was awful, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Triggers.
Posted By: Rabbit Ears Re: AYA Matador - 04/19/07 09:50 PM
I bought one in the 1960's from Milt Klein with a single selective trigger asnd ejectors. Pretty gun, but it had soft sears and was impossible to keep working. Both barrels would fire at once. I had the sears fixed several times, but the metal was too soft. I sent the gun back and a new impoved model was sent to me me. It was off face so I got a refund and puchased a Charles Daley 500. The Charles Daley gun has had thousands of shells fired through it waterfowl hunting, upland game hunting , and trap shooting. It is still going strong, no problems. The early Spanish guns had some quality control probelms.

I started with a Savage Fox model B in my boyhood years. I think I paid $70 for it from my paper route money. I still have and treasure the gun and fequently use it for upland game birds. In later years I purchased a 12 and 20 ga. Crescents and inherited a 20 gauge Hunter- L. C. Smith 20 ga. with ejectors and a beautiful Remington model 1900. I also hunt with my grandad's old back action lock Belgium double with black powder loads. Great fun, but one must step through the clud of smoke to see if the bird is coming down.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com