doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PeteM If you could... - 04/18/07 05:57 PM
If money were no object and you decided to have a bespoke gun built, what features would you want? What type of gun would it be, sidelock, boxlock, hammer gun? Removable sideplates, self-opener, multiple barrels, matched pair, etc... What about engraving, gold inlays, style?

What would you avoid?

Pete
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 06:23 PM
Easy. Boss O/U. 30", 12ga, IC/LM. Nothing special, just the way they come is FINE.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 06:41 PM
20-28g,410 3 barrel set, hammerless, 6lbs, 28" bbls, sidelock so there's plenty of room for a tasteful mix of gold chickens and necked wimmin, and lightning bolts, hammerless so I wouldn't forget to cock it with my forgetfullness in my old age, Turkish walnut as a fashion statement and sling swivels for effect around the stuffy shirt crowd. Oh, and Krupp barrels of course.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 06:58 PM
Sidelock, sculpted fences, and concealed pins, ejectors, third bite fastener,disc set firing pins, pierced top lever and trigger guard with rolled edged and hinged front trigger. Action finished by rubbing out the case colors. Locks fully engraved (keep case colors inside), gold plate moving parts. POW grip, splinter forend(a little longer than normal), 29 inch fine black and white croille Damascus barrels & ribs, double triggers, best American done checkering in a minimal pattern about 24 lines per inch, best wood I could find, skeleton butt plate engraved, horn nipple on grip, tapered rib file cut, tight scroll with best Italian bulino bird scenes covering side locks and action bottom with very minimal gold touches on bottom only- if any. Engraving on forend iron (inside), polished throughout like a Lindner Regent Diamond grade. On each side of forend an engraved oblong eschutcheon reflecting old muzzleloader barrel wedges. Satin finish on wood so it looked natural versus varnished. One set of barrels choked skeet and a loose modified (no screw ins) with two narrow lines of gold inlay at breech and engraved wedges on barrels about 3 inches long. Dual ivory beads. Engraved between barrels at muzzle. Twenty guage 2 3/4" magnum proof so SAAMI spec shells could be used if necessary. Weight right at 6lbs. Cased in a modern sealed composite case with every tool (case hardened and engraved) required to dissassemble/reassemble the gun. Things to avoid? Spending such money on a gun instead of charities and church.
Posted By: King Brown Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 07:00 PM
Swivels, Chuck? I'm not on the gun scene at all but I thought swivels were, well, sort of exotic however practical and not for swish company this side of the water. Elucidate, please.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 07:00 PM
Pretty vague, Jerry...
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 07:05 PM
Shotgun, I know but I clarified it all in the last two sentences.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 07:48 PM
King,
I figure swivels on a bespoke (must be a British gun to use that word) gun would ruffle the purist's feathers. Afterall, this is kind of a "what if cows could fly?" question, at least for my economics. not gonna happen.
Posted By: Chicago Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 08:04 PM
Well a bespoken pair would be nice, but if I was limited to just one gun. A Watson Bros. (Michael Louca) SLE, round body 16 bore with 2 sets of barrells 28" and 30". The 28" more open for grouse and woodcock and 30" a little tighter for pheasant). Weight around 6 lbs, a hair lighter if possible. Engraving by Winston Churchill - I believe I would need my Ryman Setter forward of the trigger guard, a woodcock in flight on the trigger guard. On sideplates a pair of grouse, one falling on one side and a group of roosters in flight on the other side. I would seek out his suggestion for surrounding field of engraving. The wood would need to be on the dark side and and not too flamboyant - looking for understated elegance, and something that would stand up to hunting pressure. I would probably want 2 1/2" chambers just for something different.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 11:06 PM
A James Purdey "Best" muzzleloader complete with all accessories!!!
All the best
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: If you could... - 04/18/07 11:28 PM
A Scottish David McKay Brown sxs 12b.
Bored tight and true for the ducks.
Without a doubt, the best gun for the money these days.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 12:38 AM
Chuck,

What you should do is get an extra set of barrels made. Have them made with a camo pattern. Then hang one of those glow worm sites and maybe you could get screw-in choke tubes with extended ported choke tubes. That will give the stuffed shirts something to croak about.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 03:09 PM
I want an exact scale replica of the forward gun turret from the "Yamato" on a concrete pad in my backyard. Custom features to include a ramp and lockable hatch on the back big enough to get my John Deere model H and Simplicity riding mower in, along with my dog poop shovel and other yard implements. Come to think of it, it could probably replace my gunsafe, as well. Mounts on either side for poles for a net, for spur-of-the moment, beer fueled 2 man volleyball games, or the wife to dry laundry. Enough blank cartridges to host one hell of a July 4th celebration.
OK, I'm done.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 03:50 PM
Ted! That would be a 3-shooter...

Of course, with a few San Shiki shells, you WOULD have the ULTIMATE shotgun...
Posted By: Bill G. Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 03:56 PM
A & S Famars - Avintis SxS with the removable central sidelock. Since I can only have one it would probably be a 12 bore (but I would consider a 16). It would have 3 sets of barrels and two trigger groups (one double and one single). The triggers would be engraved with beautiful scroll. I think that would be cool since they are removable and you said money was no object. Exhibition wood. And it would be engraved by Firmo Fracassi.

Bill G.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 04:41 PM
Pair of SxS in Crocodile covered hard case. Sidelock hammerless. Gun 1 is a light 12 with a set of barrels for .577. Gun two is a 20 gauge with a set of .30/06 barrels. Dragons and scroll engraving like the Purdey DR that was posted on here a while ago.
Posted By: Steve Lawson Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 08:48 PM
One of each, Boss, Purdy, holland and Holland in every gauge and caliber. Why be practical since we are dreaming?
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: If you could... - 04/19/07 10:21 PM
A Parker A-1 Special in 28 ga. with 30 inch barrels. An extra set of 28 inch barrels with second forend. Minus the gold on the frame though.

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: Chuck H Re: If you could... - 04/20/07 03:32 AM
But seriously folks, I'm thinking a H.E. Lefever, engraved by Mr. Ken, is IT!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com