doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill/Oregon Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/16/15 10:41 PM
Gentlemen, I have a Remington Model 81 Woodsman in .300 Savage that desperately needs a new butt stock. These folks are the only ones I can find that appear to make them. I read the old thread from 2012 about horrible problems with this outfit. Ha anyone dealt with them recently?
Better, does anyone know where else I might find a butt stock for the old 81?
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/16/15 11:35 PM
I assure you that the chances of you having issues with their product will be high.

EVERY single stock from them that anyone has supplied me with to fit has had issues. Some to the point of the product being un-usable.

It has gotten to where I have made the decision to no longer accept customer supplied anything from them.

But they must do something right as they still are in business.

And good luck ever getting them to take care of an issue of accept a return.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/16/15 11:49 PM
Bill, in June of 2014 an acquaintance in Europe ordered from their website a gunstock that was supposed to be in stock. Paid immediately via paypal. After 6 months of total runaround, he asked me to get involved as I am in NA. Impossible from Europe. Took me another 6 weeks of my very best collections technique of pinning them down on every statement and following up religiously to get the refund. $200. They had to do it in three installments because they didn't have enough money in their paypal account. Total bullshit.

IMHO they got the money from some poor sucker in Europe and they were going to keep it and wait for him to give up.

I wouldn't go near them. Once a cheat, always a cheat. 2012 isn't that long ago.
Posted By: GMCS Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 12:54 AM
I have used them one time but they did the total job including checkering and finish. The first round of problems people were having with them hit the board just after I shipped the gun to them. I was surprised at how good a job they did for me. it was completed when they told me it would be. I can believe that if you order an off the shelf semi fitted stock you will have trouble. I would not hesitate to have them do a shooter or low grade gun. You get what you pay for
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 01:34 AM
No, with Macon you often don't get what you paid for. My nightmare with them is more than I want to revisit. But the short version is they repeatedly lied to me about the work they'd done in fitting an off-the-shelf stock to my Rem. 31 with custom drop and LOP. Eventually I had to send it to a very good stocker and paid a significant premium to have him fix what Macon promised and failed to deliver. And I was never able to get them to return my original stock.

Jay
Posted By: mel5141 Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 01:40 AM
I can make you laugh until you hurt by telling my now hilarious tale of woe from these clowns regarding a Fox replacement stock.......TOO long to type here.....but I assure you it is a great fireplace tale......You would need to mix an appropriate cocktail ( a double) and settle in for the tale.....

Run , don't walk away from that site and those tales they spin regarding "the professional gunsmiths on staff here"

I don't bad mouth any one and hide behind a moniker, I'm Paul Melton and I welcome their rebuttal......
Posted By: ed good Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 01:51 AM
paul melton...a rare real person here.
Posted By: James M Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 04:04 AM
I think we all hear the message about this "Stock Maker" loud and clear. However; Does anyone have a company they'd recommend to provide a partially finished stock?
I can remember buying stocks from a company called Fajen(SP?) but I believe they are long out of business.
Jim
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 11:55 AM
I use my duplication machine for my own one-off work. I do not duplicate for others. And since most of what I work on are the hand fitted guns where one stock does not fit all, it works well that way.

I can only speak about companies that I have dealt with personally here...

I believe Wenig is still in business and I have had good experiences with their stuff.
I have not had a bad stock from Gunstocks Inc. But they primarily duplicate for the lower end, one stock fits most guns.
For winchester And other popular cowboy guns, Silver Hill Co stocks are very good.
And for rifle stocks, Rochards Microfit is also very good. They have a lot of good action patterns and profile choices.
I have used some stuff from boyds, but not enough to formulate a great opinion. Their customer service is a little so so.

What anyone has to remember about dealing with Parkers, Fox, LC or many American guns is that there is so much variation from gun to gun that unless you are having the original stock duplicated, or a pattern that you know is comparable with your action, chances are it won't work out well.

Now... With macon. I have personally seen duplications that were supposed to have been made from a original that the customer sent and they were nothing like the original and all messed up.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 12:28 PM
No personal experience, but on forums like this one I've seen good feedback for Show-Me Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO.

Jay
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 01:31 PM
Try Gunstocks Inc they are also honest and delver good semi inlet stocks. Bobby
Posted By: Bill/Oregon Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 06:09 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I contacted Gunstocks Inc. last week and they are no longer making a Model 81 stock. I'll check Richard's MicroFit and Show-Me, but have a friend with a duplicator who has offered to help me out.

Here is the grim artifact:
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 06:27 PM
Remington Woodmaster; haven't seen one of those in a while...Geo
Posted By: ed good Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 06:32 PM
dat aint so bad...have seen wurst...
Posted By: Jeff L. Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 06:38 PM
Just a thought, but I believe there are contributors to this board who could repair the existing stock and blend in the repair to the point of invisibility (Mark Larson and DES/TSD are the obvious ones that come to mind, but I know there are others). I have no idea how quality repair pricing would compare to restocking.
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 08:26 PM
Macon has restocked four guns for me in the last four years:

Gregorio San Martin:
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_E...20Martin?sort=6

Garbi:
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_Ellison/slideshow/Slide%20Shows/Horizon%20Model%20700?sort=6

Jose Luis Urbiola:
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_E...012%20Ga?sort=6

Lucio Loyola:
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Kyrie_Ellison/slideshow/Slide%20Shows/Lucio%20Loyola?sort=6
Posted By: Gt1900 Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 09:24 PM
I can't tell you anything about Show-Me's semi-inletted stocks, but I can tell you about a Pre-64 M-70 that Donnie restocked for me. It turned out INCREDIBLE! If anyone can show me an easy way to post pictures, will show you what Donnie considers AA. If their semi inleted stocks are anywhere as nice as the stock he made me, you will be very happy... I was amazed when he told me the stock wasn't "perfect." Everyone Ive shown the gun too says it's pretty damn perfect.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/17/15 09:34 PM
Photo posting quickie:

1. Put the photo you want to post on Photobucket (other sites also offer the service but I'm not familiar with them).

2. Click on the IMG address that pops up on the right side of the picture. That copies the picture.

3. Return to the BBS and in the Quick Reply box paste the address from Photobucket. Presto! The picture is posted. What you'll see is just the address but when you submit the post the picture will be there.
Posted By: Gt1900 Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/18/15 01:26 AM
This gun was stocked by Show-Me as AA wood.

Posted By: tut Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/18/15 10:46 AM

If you purchased the blanks, you have a good eye for layout for sure.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/18/15 07:24 PM
Gt your wood looks better than AA to me.Beautiful rifle. Bobby
Posted By: rrrgcy Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/21/15 02:51 AM
My experience with Richard's Microfit several years ago; they shipped my selected piece (for a rifle) on my behalf to my stockworker who was to fit finish and checker. My man sent me the photos of what he got and it was greatly unfinished way beyond any of those website advertised photos and advised it was the absolute worst he'd received from any supplier. It was going to require a severely substantial amount of time to get it to where it would have even been as pictured on the website. NOT as advertised or pictured. I had him send it back without any work performed within a day or two of its receipt; took a very long time and insistence to receive a refund. I had ordered an optioned ebony tip etc Old Classic No. 102 Style Sporter Rifle stock, and now laugh looking at their site for that selection where it ironically says "Our dealers said: "Don’t try and make it different, make it better!"" Maybe theyve done better over the few years but be sure to get anyone's refund policy if the product received isn't as expected and is more block-of-wood than semi-finished.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Macon Gunstocks revisited - 09/22/15 03:48 AM
I haven't dealt with Macon (and likely never will) but I have with Wenig and they can KMA. What they sent back to me was some fairly expensive fire wood and it was MY fault because I had sent them the stock to be duplicated.
Show-Me could well be in my future tho

have another day
Dr.WtS
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com