doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: oskar Merkel 200 clones? - 07/31/15 07:35 PM
As I spend more and more time perusing double gun sales I've come across a number of shotguns that seem to be clones of a Merkel 200, Simson, BSW, Belgium and Spanish Aya. I've always liked the looks of a Merkel but most of them are beyond my reach but a number of the clones seem quite reasonable. How do they compare in quality to the Merkel? I'm thinking along the lines of a dedicate skeet and SC gun.

Thank You

oskar
Posted By: eightbore Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 07/31/15 09:38 PM
The Merkel 200 is not out of reach of any serious shooter. If I wanted a Merkel 200 type of gun, I would find a 200. A real Merkel is a real Merkel. I would kill for a nice Merkel 200 with 30" barrels and decent stock dimensions. The clones, not so much.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 07/31/15 09:40 PM
I've owned Francotte, Daly (made by Masquelier) and Abercrombie & Fitch (also Belgian). All of mine have been lighter weight 20's or 16's, but all quite reliable. I expect you might do quite well on a heavier, longer barreled 12, because most guys looking for target guns won't pay much attention to them. Especially if they have double triggers.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 07/31/15 10:12 PM
Larry, most serious shooters won't pay any attention to a Merkel if it has anything but double triggers.
Posted By: tut Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 08/01/15 12:19 AM
I have a shooter grade 16 Gauge Merkel 200E with double triggers with articulated front trigger. Very well used but tight as a tick as they say. Choked full/full and I have not messed with it. Swivels and german cheekpiece. I carried it last year in Nebraska and Okie chasing quail behind a long ranging setter. Was quite nice to keep it slung until the dog came on point. Weight 6 lb 10 ounces. Bores are .661 and both chokes are .026. Barrel length 28".
Posted By: rtenenbown Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 08/01/15 03:49 AM
Count me as a serious shooter whose single trigger Merkel 201E with barrel sets in 20 and 28 has never had a trigger failure. One trip to the smith in the last 30 years for a broken spring. it has been my go to gun for dove, quail, grouse and partridge. At one time I had an AYA, I think the model designation was Coral, in 12 gauge that was also very reliable although a bit heavy.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 08/02/15 02:51 PM
I have both double trigger (203E) and single trigger (303E) Merkels. The single trigger has NEVER malfunctioned once. What I will add is that (in the UK anyway), they come set to very heavy trigger pulls and both have been adjusted to a more reasonable pull. I was told by the person who did the work that they are quite hard to get just right, but once right stay there and don't misbehave.
Merkels are not a popular gun, but are respected by the trade for good build standard and materials

There are a number of AyA 'clones' that have been available in the UK, none of which have been all that popular. I have not heard of any particular problem ..... but here the Beretta/Browning models have a much better resale value.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Merkel 200 clones? - 08/03/15 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Larry, most serious shooters won't pay any attention to a Merkel if it has anything but double triggers.

Make that a serious MERKEL shooter . . . which is a pretty small contingent among target shooters.

I think most of the single trigger issues were on earlier sxs when GSI first started importing them, not on OU's. But I also heard that the later ST sxs were OK.

But then most of us here understand that any gun with 2 barrels ought to have 2 triggers.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com