doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DAM16SXS Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 03:24 PM
Joseph Loy engraved some Ithaca's, Lefevers and maybe one or two more. His engraving style of the dogs he did, in my opinion, are some of the very best. Can folks please post pictures of dogs, especially setters, that are known to be his work?

Thanks very much -
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 04:26 PM
Remington also. I have some but get to them for a while.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 04:50 PM
Thanks Walter, I'm looking forward to seeing them.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 08:18 PM
Loy's dogs are my favorites in that period. His lines are clean and the dogs look like you can feel them trembling, waiting for the bird to flush. I had a pointer that would stand on point still as a statute but you could see she was busting with energy, waiting for the action.

Some engravers of this era seem to have dead dogs, hound dogs and flying turnips as their trademarks. Some did very nice scroll on Aubreys and others. But Loy's dogs always make me stop and look at them.
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 08:28 PM
No pictures, but another lover of Loy's dogs. His renditions were just wonderful.
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 10:31 PM

I don't know if this is Loy or not. Ithaca Flues grade 3 20 gauge

I know you asked for Setters, but here is the Pointer from the flip side
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 10:43 PM
Thanks Fred. If it has eyelashes it is probably Loy's work. I haven't seen that gun before Fred, but then, you told me that you had picked up a few more since the Worcester 28 ga. grade 2.
Posted By: MJS Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 10:49 PM
Here is his engraving on my Remington EEO. It is a little hard to see the details but it is very fine engraving.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 11:01 PM
Looks like the 'eyelashes' appearing on both the guns shown above are Loy's initials as former poster here Robert Chambers once told us...Geo
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 11:23 PM
Geo. can you tell me what you mean by "eyelashes" ?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/23/15 11:29 PM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=285146&page=5
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 12:30 AM
The "hooked" line work (behind the bolsters on the above pictured Lewis) is the same as used on the "Rondel" Parker C grades from the 1900-1905 period. Also attributed to Loy. Parker trigger plates had this treatment on each side of the guard bow.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 12:32 AM
Here are two. I will post more when I can get to my photo archives.

These from a signed Loy Ithaca.
FWIW, Fred's gun was done by Ed Latham IMO.

Here is another Loy. I have close ups but can't get to them for a week or so. I did a DGJ article on Joe Loy in the dark past.

One More--pointers though--still--Loy
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Geo. can you tell me what you mean by "eyelashes" ?

Hi Daryl. According to Robert Chambers, when he was active here, Joseph Loy engraving can be identified by the initials "J" and "L" formed back to back by the 'eyelash' slashes on his work. The Ithaca pictured above has it behind the fences, and then shows the eyelash in the mountain scene on the floor-plate of the remington. Its in the border to the scroll on the guns Walt pictured. I've looked for that hidden mark on period guns ever since Chambers posted that "Revelation"...Geo
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 04:43 AM
Quote:
FWIW, Fred's gun was done by Ed Latham IMO.

Thank you Walter

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 02:03 PM
The problem with the "eyelash" (maybe eyebrow would be a better term)Joseph Loy signature theory obviously is that if you look hard enough for it you can find it on practically all engraved guns, whether Loy had anything to do with them or not. Of course I misspent much of my own childhood staring at clouds to find 'cloud animals' and I'm still prone to doing that in a duck blind on a bluebird day,so I may be particularly susceptible to seeing things which may not be there...Geo
Posted By: huntermn Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 03:02 PM

I have been told that his may be Joseph Loy on my Flues Grade 3 Waterfowl gun.
Posted By: huntermn Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 03:11 PM

Same Gun,

So George, you mean the decorations around the rib extension, and the top-lever screw?
Posted By: huntermn Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 03:23 PM
After a closer look at the known examples.....unless Loy. "Dumbed Down" his work on the more common graded Ithaca's, then this must not be him on my flues....but, I have always thought this was exceptional engraving for a 3 grade.
The setter seems so much more lifelike than what i see on similar grade parkers.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 03:31 PM
Could be; how about the bird dog's front legs?...Geo
Posted By: huntermn Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 04:54 PM
Thanks George!

YIKES! looking for some background, i found a long thread on this subject from 2012, although primarily concerning Flues guns....

It was a long and interesting read. Apparently these two names stir up real demons in some!!!
Posted By: Researcher Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 04:57 PM
The late Charles Semmer told me he thought this Remington was Loy engraved --

Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/24/15 11:59 PM
The dogs heads on the right look especially like Loy's.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/25/15 12:30 AM
Walter, your one with the setters is very nice. It is good to see that there were a few exceptional engravers that did justice to making dogs look like dogs.
A.E. Spangler was another one whose setters were "setters".
Posted By: Model2128Ga Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/25/15 02:12 AM
Joseph Loy-the best.............

Remington 1894 EEO 16 gauge.....

Model2128Ga
Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/25/15 11:17 AM
There's a post over on the Parker BBS titled "Who let the Dogs out" Mostly Parker Dogs but there's a decent discussion and showing of Loy engraved guns at the end of the discussion.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/25/15 12:25 PM
Here is an Ithaca Crass grade 4 I sadly traded off. Oh how I pine for it!! Regrets, regrets. Anyway, I never did find out who the engraver was. If anyone can shed light on who it was, thank you.

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 06/25/15 10:33 PM
My bet is Robert P. Runge (the elder). I have one very similar and the younger said his dad did it. The elder worked at Ithaca for a short time--roomed with Simeon Rogers. No signed Roger guns have turned up to my knowledge. I am away from my files but I seem to remember that Rogers was the executor of Loy's estate??
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/06/15 11:14 PM
One more! Grade 4 Lewis. Have no idea who did this one but the engraving looks wonderful to me. I had it restocked and barrels refinished years ago.

Posted By: Ken61 Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/07/15 11:12 PM
Here's a couple of pics of my Grade 4 Lewis as well. Anyone have an idea who did it? I haven't done anything to it yet except color the barrels in Black & White.

Regards
Ken
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/07/15 11:51 PM
This is a gun the younger Runge told me was done by his dad. Very similar to gun RedofTx posted IMO.

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/08/15 12:31 AM
Here is a grade 3 done by Loy and also an exhibition gun by him.

Posted By: David Williamson Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/08/15 12:53 AM
Walter, great looking guns.
In your last post first picture I like the way the dogs are in nice scenery without all the scroll. In your last picture, the dogs are lost in the scroll. To me a dog or game scene should be just that.

This is just my opinion.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/10/15 03:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken61
Here's a couple of pics of my Grade 4 Lewis as well. Anyone have an idea who did it? I haven't done anything to it yet except color the barrels in Black & White.

Regards
Ken

I found this gun and the dogs look very similar to mine. The engraving is described as being done by Laythem. Anyone have any information on him?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=493187301

Regards
Ken
Posted By: Norm Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/10/15 07:29 AM
Google Edward Laytham. A 1963 article in the Morning Record says he engraved at Parker Bros. and Ithaca Gun
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/10/15 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Norm
Google Edward Laytham. A 1963 article in the Morning Record says he engraved at Parker Bros. and Ithaca Gun

Thanks.
Posted By: kcordell Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/11/15 04:24 AM
Can anyone confirm if either of the following are Loy?

Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 07:57 PM
I would want to call this a Loy gun. Yay/ NAY?

Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 08:13 PM
I think so.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 08:26 PM
For whatever it might actually mean, the both sides of the lock-plate just behind the top of the circle where the dogs are engraved, the gun has what Robert Chambers insisted were the Loy back to back initials which was his "signature". Hate to get that one started again...Geo
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
For whatever it might actually mean, the both sides of the lock-plate just behind the top of the circle where the dogs are engraved, the gun has what Robert Chambers insisted were the Loy back to back initials which was his "signature". Hate to get that one started again...Geo

You know, I really wish one of the experts on this forum would either confirm what I keep posting about the Loy "signature" or just go ahead and say that it just ain't so and tell me to quit making myself look foolish...Geo
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 09:52 PM
It ain't so.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 09:52 PM
Sorry, a double post somehow.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 10:30 PM
Bravo, Walt
Posted By: Nudge Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 10:35 PM
Marks,

What grade is that Lefever?

-Nudge
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/30/15 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
It ain't so.

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Bravo, Walt

Aha! Just as I thought; the collectors are closing ranks and refusing to acknowledge the revelation Robert Chambers made so that amateurs and all could identify valuable Joseph Loy engraving for themselves.

Just kidding Walt. I'd take your opinion to the bank; just wonder why Daryl didn't come out and say it to begin with when he asked for more information about the "eye-brows". I do appreciate the answer to my sincere question. I'd always wondered though whether Chambers' posts about this were for real or just some of his nuttiness. He did know and post a lot of unusual information about his private research...Geo
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/31/15 09:01 AM
The Lefever is a C grade
Posted By: Nudge Re: Joseph Loy Engraving - 07/31/15 09:05 PM
Thanks, Terry. Im drooling on my keyboard...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com