doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: oskar Info on a jug choke please? - 06/13/15 06:39 PM
I have a nice little sxs with what I suspect is a jug choke in one barrel. The barrels have fairly narrow bores at .715. the right barrel constricts to .695. The left barrel opens to .725 about 2.5" and holds that for a little and returns to .715 with about 3/4" to the muzzle. The OD of the barrel over the jug area is .810.

Any thoughts on this?

THANKS
oskar
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/13/15 07:25 PM
"IF" I am following this right then you have an enlarged area of about 1 3/4" followed by a 3/4" section back to bore size for the total length of 2½". Sure sounds like a Jug Choke to me.
Most bulges I have seen which did not actually burst the barrel were nowhere near 1 3/4" long but were rather short.
Posted By: gunut Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/13/15 07:28 PM
I removed my first post because 2-pipers theory sounds better....just cant think of a reason for the right barrel to still have modified choke but left barrel to have 715 all the way to the muzzle except for the 725 for a short distance.. if the barrels were reversed it would of been a normal cyl/mod choked sxs, B4 the jug was added...which barrel fires with the front trigger???
Posted By: Boats Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/13/15 08:12 PM
No telling what somebody did to it. Lot of doubles are tight right open left, I have two, one a Birmingham hammer gun, am told it was common in English guns. Other a Parker that factory records confirm was ordered tight right open left.

Pattern see what the barrel throws, may be just fine.

Boats
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/13/15 09:21 PM
If it's an English gun intended to be used on Driven Game, wouldn't the right barrel having more constriction be appropriate?

Regards
Ken
Posted By: Boats Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/14/15 12:08 AM
That's what I am told about the Birmingham Gun. The Parker is a 10 G Hammer and no doubt chokes were ordered tight right more open left for Pass Shooting Ducks

Buddy of mine has a set of bore measuring tools, we have measured a bunch of doubles and get good indications from the measurements. Have found you really don't know what's going to happen until you pattern.

Boats
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/14/15 02:31 AM
I shoot the tighter choked barrel first a great deal of the time on doves, either the left barrel on my S x Ss or the bottom barrel on my superposed 20 ga. Beretta (I like shooting the bottom barrel first on an O/U, so I choke it tighter accordingly). The reason is that I love incomers on doves best of all. It is fine sport to test one's self to take an incoming dove out of a drove with the tighter choked barrel, at a good distance, so that the second barrel can double on another one of the incomers at closer range. Having both fall in front of you is great sport, and not easily done by a novice dove shooter.

All my S x S guns had the left barrel choked tighter, originally, but then I only have one English gun.

SRH
Posted By: gunut Re: Info on a jug choke please? - 06/14/15 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
but then I only have one English gun.

SRH

More than enough...wouldn't want 2 restrict your shooting 2 much
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com