doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Granger Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 09:48 AM
Hello everyone
Is there a way to recognize a Deeley ejector without disassembling the forend? or how to know of an glance, if one is before a Deeley ejector
or southgate?
thank you
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 02:28 PM
Not fail proof but if the forend iron has a pin running through it the gun is most likely a Southgate, such as in this Webley. That pin is the axle for the ejector hammers. Be aware though that there are numerous other ejector systems that don't have the pin showing.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 05:34 PM
Here is the Deeley "box" ejector on a couple of early Jeffery sidelocks. Westley Richards sold these "boxes" to others under contract , demanding inspection at Westley Richards before the guns, finished up by others, were to sell.

I see that the second gun forend [lower] , a later one , is somewhat different from the first. It still may have the Deeley ejector, but I have not taken that forend apart. I think there was a change or two involving the Deeley ejector and those changes may show up in subsequent patents. The second and third pictures are of the upper forend.

Posted By: gunman Re: Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 06:23 PM
Forend numbered 1927 Deeley box ,the other Southgate .Another ting to look for is the length of the extractor legs Southgate legs are shorter and finish usually at or just past the end of the barrel flats .
Joe thats a nice little Webley is there a number or letter in the back bite ?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: gunman
Joe thats a nice little Webley is there a number or letter in the back bite ?

Don't know yet, Gunman. It is a Webley & Scott Model 701 that I bought but haven't received. Dates about 1970-1971. Appears unfired. And very nice wood.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Deeley/southgate - 05/31/15 11:50 PM
I have a 1908 Francotte 16 with the Deeley box ejector system .It seems heavy to me. Bobby
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com