doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Blair Anticipation is building... - 04/23/15 09:35 PM
Picked up and very nice little 1954 Beretta 20g ASEL at the Tulsa show. It had sling swivels installed. The seller sent it to JJ to have them properly removed for me and I'll pick it up from him when he's finished. It's my first real O/U so I'm pretty excited. Pretty engraving, light weight, solid rib, just-right LOP, nice wood....it sold itself!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/23/15 10:36 PM
I love 20 gauge ASELs, but I wouldn't even think of removing the sling swivels. What are you going to do when you want the swivels? Tell us more about the gun.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/23/15 10:50 PM
I own an ASEL 20b with 27.5" barrels. Mine doesn't have sling eyes and never did, but if it had them, and as Eightbore mentioned, I wouldn't have them removed. I'm getting older and a sling doesn't sound too bad when quail hunting and waiting on dogs to point. In terms of the ASE, ASEL and ASEELL I think they are really great guns. Same balance characteristics as English O/U's for whole bunch less money. I think the EL and EELL's were made in the Beretta custom shop with their SO guns. They have real nice hand engraving. Sad that they don't make them anymore. George Caswell (Champlin Arms) told me he personally met Mr. Beretta and was told it cost Beretta almost as much to make these guns as their SO sidelocks, so they were discontinued. For what they are, I think they are a bargain. A new, similar gun would be very expensive, I'm guessing. Have fun with your new gun. They do kick a bit being so light. I like shooting 3/4 oz loads in mine.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/23/15 10:53 PM
I also think the swivel should stay(with a sling). Functional when you want to take pics, dig thru the brush for a bird, climb a hill etc. Don't forget the cool factor as well.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/23/15 11:40 PM
Slings are great for photo ops, and for slinging arms when you've got a limit in the vest and it's a long walk back to the truck. I've carried a lot of open-country birdguns with slings. First observed the habit with the international crew with whom I hunted in Morocco. (Barbary partridge: Much like chukar, as is the terrain they inhabit.)
Posted By: gunut Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 12:16 AM
Bob... If they are original eye and loop European style swivels and you want to sell them let me know....
Posted By: skeettx Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 12:20 AM
Hello Bob,

I am pleased you got a nice gun (pictures would be nice)
and are doing to it what you want.

That is why I live in
the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Mike
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 12:24 AM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
(pictures would be nice)

I'm with Mike.
Pics, Pics, Pics.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 04:04 PM
Pics will follow when I get the gun. I hate sling swivels. I kinda wondered why a gun this light would have ever had them installed. I carried firearms with them for 30 years in the US Army. They certainly have their place but I like the way a nice svelte O/U or S/S looks without them and so, they're coming off but they are coming off the right way. A gold oval will replace the stock swivel and the barrel swivel will be sweated off, the barrels polished and reblacked.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 06:32 PM
Pics? Here you go........

Posted By: Goillini Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 06:35 PM
Agree with you 100% on hatred of sling swivels. Not a fine gun, but I've been looking at the Beretta A400 Xplor action 28 gauge and can't for the life of me figure out why that gun would come standard with sling swivels. Only weighs about 5 lbs.
Posted By: Goillini Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 06:38 PM
Your ASEL is a sweet gun for sure, by the way!
Posted By: Buzz Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 09:41 PM
Sling eyes are VERY common on Italian guns, esp those meant for Italians. It is very common in their culture of hunting to use a sling. I hunted Grouse with a Sicilian once and he used a sling. I was amazed at his elegant and rapid ability to go from slinged to a shooting attitude. It gave me bug eyes watching him in action......he was very skilled at the maneuver.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/24/15 09:46 PM
You did the right thing, Bob. Nice gun. Appears to be a straight grip. Barrel length?
JR
Posted By: JNW Re: Anticipation is building... - 04/25/15 12:33 AM
Beautiful gun. do with it what you will and enjoy YOUR new toy!
Regards,
Jeff
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com