doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dan D BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/08/07 08:53 PM
Hi - I am in the Air Force stationed in Japan, where I’ve come across a lot of shotguns (mostly sxs and o/u) that you don't see much in the states. A recent find has stumped me, though. It is an o/u 12 ga with some pretty detailed engraving, and what looks like was a pretty nice stock at one point. It’s marked “B.C. My Luck” on the bottom of the reciever, and “Model OL” on the side of the receiver. The dealer says that this gun is sold as a Merkel in the US, was made in 1960, and has some collector’s value. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture.

At first I thought maybe it was an older Charles Daly (sold as B.C Miroku in Japan), but I can’t seem to find anything in the Blue Book, or anywhere on line to support either claim. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/08/07 09:23 PM
Dan,
I think there's a phonetics issue. I'm sure he means Miroku, not Merkel.

As a service brat in the sixties, I spent time at Yokota and Misawa. Are you at either of these bases?
Posted By: Dan D Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/08/07 10:06 PM
I'm at Misawa - great duck hunting here!
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/08/07 10:17 PM
My Luck was an earlier name used on a few shotguns imported to the US by Miroku. I am not familiar with all their model numbers, but all that I have seen have been nicely done and valued about the same as the Miroku guns, Charles Daly guns.
Posted By: LeeS Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/08/07 10:41 PM
I remember a few articles on Miroku guns mentioning these as one of, if not the earliest, model imported to the US.

the comments summarized as roughly "nice gun, bad name" and correspondingly it was a commercial failure here.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/09/07 12:56 AM
LeeS,
This is a Miroku made model OS from the mid-60s, marketed by the Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. Good gun. I see them here in $800-1000 range, sometimes a bit more or less.

Happy Easter and thanks for serving.

Posted By: eightbore Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/09/07 12:45 PM
KFC, no, not the Colonel, marketed some interesting side by sides also, including the odd 32" model, a great pigeon gun. I knew there must be great duck hunting somewhere in Japan because of all the guns I see engraved there with ducks flying over an open ocean being pointed by English Setters standing on a sandy shore.
Posted By: Dan D Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/09/07 10:33 PM
Thank you all for the help. I thought it was probably a Miroku, but I wasn't sure. It kind of looks like a lot of KFC designs (pretty similiar to the one above), so it wouldn't suprise me if it was an early Miroku marketed by Kawaguchiya (who I just found out later marketed KFC's in the 80's). Makes sense!

Thanks again!
-Dan
Posted By: eightbore Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/10/07 06:55 PM
Finger lickin' good guns.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/10/07 06:58 PM
I have a MY Luck that is the spittin' image of Burmingham BLNE game gun.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/10/07 08:37 PM
How many guns made from the 60's to now do you see "engine turned" and I think it was written that the scroll work wasn't stamped.
Winchester 20 ga. 101 26" imp.cyl/mod 22 lpi. Circa June 1966 first batch made. Not bad for $166.85, when I got it in Germany, through the rod and gun club. Still have the hang tag and literature and the Leg O Mutton style takedown case that I paid $35.00 for and naturally still have the gun.

Posted By: David Williamson Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/10/07 08:42 PM
Also I would like to see the BSS Sidelock made again. There is a gun that would give any modern day gun manufacturer a run for it's money when it came out. What a well made shotgun, demand top dollar now if you can find them.
Posted By: TexasGerd Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/11/07 02:28 AM

Dan
You have an early Miroku gun before the split when management at the plant forced many of the workers to fracture to other companies(or so the sorry was told). The name change (My-Luck to Miroku) was post this split. The gun you have is very well made. They have 2 versions of O/Us and 4 versions of side by sides with the full coverage 7 pin sidelock being their best. 20 gauges are very rare (and 28s even rarer) as 12s make 98% of what was made.

Enjoy the tour in Japan. Lost of ducks, pheasants and thousands of crows shot at the dump.
The man who was our primary source for guns and hunting info passed some time ago. Recommend hitting Yama's place in Misawa (most likely where you found this gun AKA Johoji's old place), the shop in Towada and gun shop in Heriosaki. All had nice guns and are a relatively close drive. There are a lot more gun shops in Shemokita area but you'll need to learn to speak Japanese and travel more. (that's half the fun)

If you really are well liked, you'll get invited to shoot Yamidori near Towada lake or taken to Hokaido to hunt Sika deer. Start making friends at the skeet range on the way to Towada just outside the town.

Again, enjoy the ducks. Thousands of canvasbacks fly thru there every year.
Posted By: eightbore Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/11/07 12:28 PM
Do those cans really hold for a pointing dog like the Japanese engravers imply?
Posted By: TexasGerd Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/12/07 01:28 AM
Wish they did Thousands of cans, bluebills and pintails came down from Russia with every cold front.
Posted By: Dan D Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/12/07 09:37 AM
I actually came across one of the 7-pin sidelocks (Model FE). He's asking about $2800, which seems a little pricy for a gun at about 80%. With this guy, it's hard to tell if he's trying to pull a fast one over you.

About a year ago, I bought a Beretta s56e (90%) for $150 because a firing pin didn't make contact. Just needed to be cleaned. Also, last week I found a nice engraved Win Model 96 at 90% for $50 - needed a new ejector.

On the other hand, I bought a Nikko Model 23 (95%... I thought) for $450. Turns out the forend is from another gun (serials don't match).

Anyway, he's asking $400 firm for this My Luck Model OL O/U, and as far as I can tell, it's about 80%, tops. If I bought it, it would be to trade for something I liked better down the line - not a keeper. Any advise on the value?
Posted By: TexasGerd Re: BC My Luck - Japanese O/U - 04/12/07 10:01 PM
Dan
Seems high on the O/U. Keep looking for the S/S's. Seek out the SKB Royals and Royal Lites too. Also look for the newer Miroku S/S. Guys on this board will attest they (early SKBs and Mirokus/My-Lucks) are the some of the best made guns for the money.

For your info: Typically the shops will cut prices once they get to know you and you purchase a good number of guns. Prices will drop by 50-70% from what you're seeing. A few presento and spending some time with them helps. They get to know you as a person...works the same way in the states.

Enjoy the Nikko. I only found a few while there and they are often my go to guns. 99% the same as Winchester 23s.
Keep pushing on a much lower price for the FE. They are not that common, but they swing great (and look very nice). Most had stocks cut very short from the factory.

Dan Gerdes
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com