doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 03:25 AM
Just this evening watched a 2013 production of "Savannah", a movie about the life of Ward Allen, the incorrigible market hunter from Savannah, GA and his sidekick Christmas Moultrie. Christmas was the last child born into slavery on a particular plantation at Savannah, in 1863. Allen was born in Savannah, too, but under much different circumstances. He was educated abroad, spoke two foreign languages, but returned to the river to become a market hunter for the rest of his days. Allen and Moultrie were bosom buddies as long as Allen lived. Some good courtroom scenes of Allen defending himself against the "onerous" game laws of the day.

Beautiful scenery of duck hunting on the river at Savannah the way it was in the 1910's-1920s, and lots of scenes with double guns. Mention made of Greeners, among others. The shooting scenes are not as real as could be, blanks don't recoil, but that can be overlooked.

PG-13, very clean, you can watch it with your whole family without fear of embarrassment. Based on the lives of actual people who lived in that period. Good way to spend 1 hr. 49 minutes, IMO, Roger Ebert notwithstanding. Available on Netflix.

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 12:42 PM
"The Shooting Party" is also pretty good. Sort of like "Downton Abbey" but with a lot more guns. James Mason's last movie.
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 01:30 PM
Wouldn't recommend it for accuracy, good story line or anything else other than to fill some time, however;

The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a fun scene with allan quatermain using his double rifle "Matilda"

An assassin sent to kill Alan is making a run for it, Alan asks the barkeep for matilda, who passes Alan a double rifle. Alan gets to the door of the club and draws a bead on the assassin, he then lowers the rifle and the guy next to him says something like he thought it was too far, Alan proceeds to calmly put on his glasses aim and fire at the guy now a couple hundred yards away, wounding him so they can question him, claiming he wasn't aiming to kill.

Don't know if its a recommendation as i say its not realistic such is the nature of an action film, the movie is not even that great, but its a fun gun scene.

The shooting party, and also gosford park both have some shooting in. Ken loach's The Game keeper is good and about the life of a keeper in the 60- 70's? not a lot of shooting but might be of interest.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 01:52 PM
Here's a good read on "Savannah", from the Sporting Classics Daily, by Pinckney.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/issue/2015-1/article/horizons-the-legend-of-ward-allen

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 02:27 PM
For those carpetbaggers, aka, Yankees, snowbirding to and fro Florida via I-95, at GA 21, you will cross the Christmas Moultrie Interchange as designated by the legislature. It's a rock throw from the site of Mulberry Grove Plantation where Christmas was born. Mulberry Grove was granted by the Continental Congress to Nathaniel Greene for his service in the Revolution. Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin while living at Mulberry Grove as a teacher. Just upriver was the plantation congressionaly granted to "Mad" Anthony Wayne, another Revolutionary war hero.
Posted By: James M Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 03:01 PM
I don't remember what guns were used in it but Bugle Ann was a good hunting movie:
Jim

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028471/?ref_=ttpl_ql
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 04:28 PM
Fun to identify guns used in movies, and we've had some threads about the lack of historical accuracy in the past.

John Wayne's "Greener" in "Big Jake" was an American Gun Co./Crescent (NOT American Arms)

He may have used a Parker in the "McLintock" scene when he was hunting pheasants with Stefanie Powers along; birds unlikely to have made it to West Texas in the movie's time setting.

Clint Eastwood as William Munny in "Unforgiven" used a 10g Belgian sidelever, most certainly not a Wesley Richards.

"Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a [censored]! You just shot an unarmed man!" "Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend."

Posted By: gunut Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 04:49 PM
Deliverance.....double gun, southern style hunting, smile and hospitality....
Posted By: GLS Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/14/15 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: gunut
Deliverance.....double gun, southern style hunting, smile and hospitality....

'mon down and see for yourself. Dah-dah-done-done. wink
Posted By: bls Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/15/15 11:44 PM
My Vote:
King Solomon's Mines, 1950 version...lots to see and still an interesting story.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 12:23 PM
The rifle John Wayne often used in his movies was a Winchester 1894 Carbine, with the lever enlarged to a large loop so he could twirl it in order to work the action. It's too new for the historical setting of most of his movies. The remake of "True Grit" had Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) using a Winchester 1873, a gun more appropriate to the historical setting.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 02:41 PM
No pictures but a double shotgun played a prominent role in the big gunfight in my favorite cowboy movie, "Free Range", starring Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner, and Annette Benning.
Posted By: craigd Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 03:21 PM
"The Ghost and the Darkness", had some good overall entertainment value.
Posted By: trw999 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 04:26 PM
Plenty of gun, Paradox and DR action in the 2004 remake of King Solomon's Mines.

More DR action in Out of Africa, with the Redford/Streep lion charge and also in White Hunter, Black Heart with Clint.

There's a Greener or Westley Richards used by the Gene Hackman character in Heist.

Tim
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 05:38 PM
And my favorite- Legends of the Fall- in the ending scenes, where Anthony Hopkins' character dusts off two hardass Mick brothers by name of O'Banion with a Purdey or Westley Richards stashed under his big old bearskin coat-
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken61
The rifle John Wayne often used in his movies was a Winchester 1894 Carbine, with the lever enlarged to a large loop so he could twirl it in order to work the action. It's too new for the historical setting of most of his movies. The remake of "True Grit" had Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) using a Winchester 1873, a gun more appropriate to the historical setting.

more often than not - in spite of the year the movie is set in - John Wayne carried an 1892 - starting in Stagecoach as the Ringo Kid
Posted By: Brian Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 07:16 PM

John Wayne used a 92 Winchester for most of his westerns not a 94 but mostly incorrect for the period none the less.
Posted By: Brian Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 07:18 PM
The movie UTU, about the Maori in New Zealand. One guy gins up a quad; two doubles together. very impressive
Posted By: Hoof Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
No pictures but a double shotgun played a prominent role in the big gunfight in my favorite cowboy movie, "Free Range", starring Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner, and Annette Benning.

Great picture with a few cool "gun moments." Boss talking about his Remington revolver, and possibly the best "being shot" scene ever, the guy flying across the street after getting shot with the shotgun.

We have kind of veered from the double gun theme a little so I would also mention "Quigley Down Under." It's not "Citizen Kane," but it is a fun movie about a guy and his rifle.

CHAZ
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 11:25 PM
doesn't Clint Eastwood carry a double rifle in "White Hunter, Black Heart" been a very long time since i watched it
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/16/15 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
doesn't Clint Eastwood carry a double rifle in "White Hunter, Black Heart" been a very long time since i watched it

There's even a scene where he went and purchased it. It was a Holland & Holland "Elephant Magnum" (Wiki) supposedly similar to what John Huston took with him while filming the movie. Since Eastwood's character was based on John Huston and the shooting of the movie "The African Queen", I always remember John Huston's speech at as I recall the Oscars, I believe he may have been receiving a "Lifetime Achievement" award. He related the experience that while filming the movie, the local police came and arrested the hunter hired to provide meat for the camp. It seems that the hunter had been providing what was called "Long Pig" for everyone to eat.
Posted By: Roalco Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 01:06 AM
Hmmm, long pig, eh.... A novel use of poachers, perhaps?
Poached poacher!
Posted By: Brian Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 01:50 PM
heres another:
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels!!!!

involves a pair of Holland and Holland hammer guns.
Posted By: Brian Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 01:51 PM
Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
from the 70's.
a 10 Ga loaded with two barrels full of dimes.
remember the line after he shoots the guy?

"keep the change!"
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Brian
from the 70's.
a 10 Ga loaded with two barrels full of dimes.
remember the line after he shoots the guy?

"keep the change!"

someone a while back - myth busters maybe- did a test on that - turns out as we would expect - the ballistics of a load of dimes is crap, the effectiveness is feet not yards
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 02:33 PM
from the 70's.

Lot's of good music on that one's soundtrack. Bob Dylan at his best.

Like during Slim Picken's death scene. Ya gotta like Peckinpah..Lot's of good pumpgun use during the last 15 minutes of the "Wild Bunch". As well as in the "Military Intervention" (actually, "Krag" use here) and the last scenes of "The Wind and the Lion"..

Intervention clip:

https://myspace.com/oceanside_gangbusters/video/u.s.-marines-invade-embassy-part-two/108987328
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 03:03 PM
Not a hunting movie, but Tom Horn starring Steve McQueen is a favorite of mine. A REAL western.

Stan, thanks for the heads up; I admit to not having known the story nor about Ward and Christmas previous to your post. I really like Jim Caviezel (I'm a big Person of Interest fan), and Roger Pinckney's (who I also like a lot) review was more than enough to seal the deal; I just ordered up the book and the movie.
Posted By: fla3006 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/17/15 03:10 PM
"In The Blood" Bartle Bull
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/18/15 01:06 AM
You're very welcome, F2F. My wife loved it so much she bought us a copy off Amazon. We NEVER buy movies, 'til now. Pinckney is fast becoming my favorite outdoor writer.

Let me know how you like it.

SRH
Posted By: Beagle Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/18/15 01:46 AM
Has anyone seen Home From The Hill recently enough to remember if the hunting and gun scenes were done well? It's been so long since i've seen it that I can't recall much detail. Great book, deserved an accurate transition to the movie screen.
But since the time Hollywood cast a Labrador Retriever as Ol' Yeller I have not expected much accuracy from that bunch.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/18/15 09:19 PM
Beagle,
The old man made the son shoot a Win.mod 94, 30-30, into the fireplace.It caused a lot of excitement, but I don't know if you could say it was done well.Of course the boy killed a big boar later with it,I guess that was done well.
Mike
Posted By: fallingblock Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/19/15 03:05 AM
Thee of my favorite Films with Double rifles

1. Shout at the Devil with Lee Marvin the 149 minute version is best but it is interesting Lee Marvin uses a 450 double I think.

2. Sammy Going South AKA A Boy Ten Feet Tall with Edward G robinson. Not generaly available in the USofA but is available for regon 2

3. And of course Ghost and the Darkness

Cheers,
Laurie
Posted By: Rhys95 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/19/15 06:09 AM
Probably up there with the WORST movie moment for double gun lovers! James Bond: Skyfall

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/19/15 12:41 PM
Unfortunately, the Michael Douglas character in "The Ghost and the Darkness" was added to the story. Seemed like he was supposed to be a Selous-like character. But Selous had nothing to do with killing the Tsavo lions. And Patterson actually used a .303 on those lions, not a double rifle, if I recall correctly.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/19/15 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Rhys95
Probably up there with the WORST movie moment for double gun lovers! James Bond: Skyfall

Bruce Springteen's "Straight Time"...

In the basement, huntin' gun and a hacksaw,
Sip a beer and thirteen
Inches of barrel drop to the floor.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/20/15 03:24 AM
And then there's the "8 gauge" carried by Vigo Mortenson in "Appaloosa". Now that was one powerful shotgun!
Posted By: mngundog Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/20/15 06:12 AM
Legends of the Fall

Single Action Army
Webley Mk VI
Luger P08
Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless
Smith & Wesson 4th Model
Smith & Wesson Model 36
Colt Police Positive

Winchester 1873
Henry 1860
Winchester 1895
Remington Rolling Block
Sharps 1874 Long Range
Marlin-Ballard No. 1-1/2 Hunters Rifle
Lee-Enfield No. I Mk III*
Mauser Gewehr 1898
Karabiner 98K

Thompson M1921

Double Barreled Shotgun
Holland and Holland Paradox

Maxim MG08

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Legends_of_the_Fall
Posted By: oskar Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/20/15 02:59 PM
Second Hand Lions with Robert Duvall had some fun shotgun scenes in it
heres another:
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels!!!!

involves a pair of Holland and Holland hammer guns.

One of my favorite movies!!
Posted By: Stallones Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/20/15 06:41 PM
Stan, I ordered it from Amazon and watching it tonight.
Thanks,
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/20/15 09:35 PM
If you want Hollywood with a high probability that the gun stuff is right, try anything directed by John Milius, who is a pretty serious gun nut. "The Wind and the Lion", for example.
Posted By: Watson 16 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/31/15 12:10 PM
The final episode of season 5 of Downton abbey is set during a driven pheasant shoot (Northumbria I believe). There are a lot of beautiful guns. Not 100% sure, but I believe I spotted a matched pair of Greeners.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/31/15 03:22 PM
I'd read the story, but had missed the movie "Savannah" somehow and bought one from Amazon last week. Watched it and thought it was great!...Geo
Posted By: Tamid Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 03/31/15 07:51 PM
Interesting no one has mentioned, The Dark Valley, a western adventure set in Austria. Very interesting germanic gouble shotguns and rifles that are used.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 05/20/15 12:10 PM
While watching the morning news, just saw an ad/trailer for "Far From the Madding Crowd". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2935476/ The trailer (at about 0:09) shows the lead actress swinging through with a Jones-underlever hammergun.
From the reviews this looks like a chick flick, but who knows.
Posted By: Woody402 Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 05/20/15 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: mngundog
Legends of the Fall

Single Action Army
Webley Mk VI
Luger P08
Smith & Wesson 4th Model
Smith & Wesson Model 36
Colt Police Positive

Winchester 1873
Henry 1860
Winchester 1895
Remington Rolling Block
Sharps 1874 Long Range
Mauser Gewehr 1898
Karabiner 98K

Thompson M1921

Double Barreled Shotgun

Maxim MG08

That is the first movie that came to mind. Great movie.
Posted By: WildCattle Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 05/22/15 05:17 AM
"The rules of the game" by Jean Renoir (1939)...
extensive driven game shooting scenes.
WC
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 05/23/15 03:21 PM
There was Out of Arica, but being magazine rifle guy I prefer I Dreamed of Africa and Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 05/24/15 01:50 PM
As well as in the "Military Intervention" (actually, "Krag" use here) and the last scenes of "The Wind and the Lion"..

Intervention clip:

https://myspace.com/oceanside_gangbusters/video/u.s.-marines-invade-embassy-part-two/108987328

Marines love that part of the movie . . . although it never happened. John Milius got the gun stuff right, as he almost always does. (He's a serious gun nut.) But he tampered significantly with history. Roosevelt sent a fleet, but the only Marines to land were a handful who came ashore as reinforcements for the Consulate in Tangier. (Would've been a good idea if we'd done the same thing at Benghazi, a century later.) And Perdicaris was a 60+ year old man who didn't look a thing like Candice Bergen.

But the Raisuli was real enough, and fought an on again-off again war with the Spanish (who eventually occupied northern Morocco) and the sultan. In the 1920's, he came into conflict with another colorful Moroccan character: Mohammed ben Abd el Krim, who led the Rif Berbers in a revolt against Spanish occupation, known as the Rif War, that lasted for more than 5 years, and during which the Rifis defeated large Spanish forces on a couple occasions. In retrospect, the Raisuli's policy of using force when the enemy was weak and negotiating when the enemy was strong might have worked out better than Abd el Krim's all-out war with the Spanish (and eventually the French)--which ended in defeat and the occupation of the Rif.
Posted By: Roalco Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 06/09/15 03:34 AM
Another vote for "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels", as well, I don't think the BBC Inspector Lewis episode "Counter Culture Blues" has been mentioned.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 06/09/15 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Woody402
Originally Posted By: mngundog
Legends of the Fall

Single Action Army
Webley Mk VI
Luger P08
Smith & Wesson 4th Model
Smith & Wesson Model 36
Colt Police Positive

Winchester 1873
Henry 1860
Winchester 1895
Remington Rolling Block
Sharps 1874 Long Range
Mauser Gewehr 1898
Karabiner 98K

Thompson M1921

Double Barreled Shotgun

Maxim MG08

That is the first movie that came to mind. Great movie.
What about the Winchester 1886 that Tristan had when he almost shot the bear. Also, did not one of the German Cavalry Officers carry a Mauser C96 "Broomie"? Looked like a Mauser holster, but the on horseback scene and the motion- maybe I have it right, or possibly not.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 06/09/15 04:44 PM
And then there was the "Eight Gauge" carried by Vigo Mortensen in Apaloosa. I believe I read somewhere that it was actually a ten gauge.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 06/09/15 10:29 PM
It was a Colt 1878 12 ga., Bob, sleeved to look like an 8 ga.. Here is a link to a description of it.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Appaloosa#Steve_Karnes_1878_Shotgun

SRH
Posted By: Hammerman Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 07/21/15 02:39 AM
Don't forget the Tremors movies. They do some hunting with doubles for those dang graboids. Bert is the man.
Posted By: keith Re: Double gun movie recommendation - 07/21/15 08:39 PM
Not about a doublegun, but when Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" came out, my girlfriend and I were seated right behind a local old German immigrant gunsmith and his wife in the theater. When the villian serial killer Scorpio got the drop on Dirty Harry and told him to get out his gun, Clint pulled out his 8 3/8" barreled S&W mod 29 .44 magnum. Scorpio said, "My that's a big one. Drop it!" As soon as Clint dropped it and it hit the pavement, the now horrified German gunsmith exclaimed loudly in broken English, "Aw geez, he scratcha the blue!"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com