doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Seymour Sunny gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 05:41 PM
I need to have a little work done to my 20 ga. Fox Sterlingworth (chokes opened; maybe forcing cones extended), and I wanted to know if anyone on this site has used Larry Feland in Katy, TX. And if so, I am hoping he will share his opinion of his work with us. I talked to Larry on the phone yesterday; he seemed quite knowledgable and was extremely accommodating and willing to listen to the specifics of my needs (a very rare trait among the gunsmiths I know). And he says he could complete the work after 3-4 days of receiving the gun!

Other recommendations are certainly welcome. I have used a number of gunsmiths before, with mixed results. Orvis did not impress me at all. Griffin and Howe did a good job on fixing my Arrieta 16 ga. last year, but they took a few months to get to it. Ideally, I'd like to have the gun back within a few weeks.

I wish there was someone good in the area where I live (Louisville, KY); but I know of no one I would trust this work to.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 05:45 PM
Don't know your Larry but I can personally recommend Mike Orlen. Mike has done work for me and many others on this site and is a frequent contributor with his help and expertise.
http://members.aol.com/sgunbore/brochure.gif

JL
Posted By: Dave M. Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 06:15 PM
I'd second Mike Orlen, he's did choke work on my Parkers. But why mess with your forcing cones?
Posted By: Hansli Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 06:18 PM
Mike's the man for this kind of work. I have heard good about Larry, but have used Mike and he's the go to guy for barrel work in my opinion. He also reads and supports several of the boards.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 06:18 PM
Absolutely , Mike Orlen is da man for me !!!! He has just finished another bbl amd only had it for about a week ---- typical of his service & del. Ken
Posted By: Seymour Sunny Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 06:43 PM
Thanks guys, for the Mike Orlen recommendation. I just sent an e-mail message to him explaining what I'd like to have done.
Posted By: PeteM Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/13/06 10:13 PM
If the work is Fox specific, you might give Bill Schwarz, 706 276 7668, a call. He carries some parts and is able to make others.

Pete
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/14/06 03:03 AM
Here's a positive thread about Larry Feland from SS BB http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29909
Posted By: Jim Cassada Re: gunsmith recommendation - 09/14/06 12:10 PM
I just got my LC Smith barrels back from Mike Orlen. Fast turnaround, very good price, and as far as I can tell the job was done right.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com