doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bill schodlatz Ahlman's - 02/19/15 04:06 PM
I just recieved my 21 from Ahlmans in MN after their Carol checked it. It looks very good and the price was reasonable. 22LPI on the pistol grip and beavertail cost $170. She also did a flat top 16 LPI LCS 3 inch Ideal grade. It's better than most Ideal factory checkering jobs.

bill
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Ahlman's - 02/19/15 05:16 PM
She has been there a long time. I haven't had her do anything recently, but, she has done checkering work for me in the past.
Glad you are happy with it. It would be nice to find someone closer to you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 12:14 AM
I'm no expert on checkering but I had her match the original "skip-a-line" (is that a collective groan I hear?) checkering on a 20 guage Savage/Valmet 333 replacement stock recently and I must say it is precisely like the original (more groans?). I got what I asked for at a very reasonable price, when they said it would be done.

I've had other, non-shotgun work done by Ahlmans and been very satisfied with the price, schedule, and workmanship. (They can even make your Ruger GP-100 "less than ugly"!).

Ahlmans seems to focus on the work and the customer, not on whether "somebody might sue them some day about something." Refreshing, and rare.
Posted By: Doublefan Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 12:23 AM
Same experience.nothing fancy but good.
Posted By: Judge Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 01:43 AM
I agree they provide good service. Anyone know if they are knowledgable on Damascus barrels? I have a set to be looked over and have some dents raised.
Posted By: Doublefan Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 01:45 AM
Get a hold of Mark on here from born again bird guns Knows his stuff
Posted By: Judge Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 01:59 AM
Thanks. I would if major work was needed, but this set is in pretty good shape except for 2 minor dents. I am close to Ahlmans. The gun is a Meriden hammer gun circa 1912 with some engraving and damascus barrels (i.e. a step above twist but not higher grade chain damascus). I'm carefully cleaning it and will post some pics later.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Ahlman's - 02/20/15 05:51 PM
I'm seriously considering hiring out the checkering on my latest stock. The two small triangles on the foreend took me four days and lots of ibuprofen and Yukon Jack to do. Sore neck, and crossed eyeballs(very curly grain!). Anybody know somebody in upstate NY that does it??
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com