Posted By: Geb Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 03:06 AM
I was enlightened about a gentleman called the:
Stock Doc
2001 Camelot Blvd.
Sheboygan, WI 53081

Has anyone had any experience with him?
This is his website http://www.stockdocusa.com/about-us.html
Posted By: Mark II Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 03:46 AM
I had the honor to take a week long finish, repair class taught by DES. A gentleman of the first order and a true craftsman. I highly recommend you get ahold of him to discuss your project. Mark Robson
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 04:07 AM
This is someone other than DES/TSD "The Stock Doctor" -- who's located in Oregon. Here's a link to his site.

http://www.thestockdr.com/

Jay
Posted By: gjw Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 04:34 AM
Jay, yes he is. Dennis has done a couple stock refinish jobs for me in the past. He does wonderful work. The finish he did on my Boswell is still holding up as good as the day he did it. That's been about 8 years now. He's a great guy to deal with also, a first class act!

Just a side note, on the slide show he has on the link you posted, that Churchill that he's restocking is mine. The restock was done before I bought it, but the stocking is truly quality work. He did a wonderful job on it!

Best

Greg
Posted By: King Brown Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 04:45 AM
Chris Dawe in St. John's, Newfoundland, is as good as they come. Have a look at comments about him today on DHE on Parker forum. Chris has done great work for me.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 12:10 PM
King, Chris has done a bit of work for me and will be doing more. Very good work.
Posted By: mark Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 01:32 PM
Dennis Earl Smith is THE Stock Doctor!!! and their is none finer at repairs.

The stock doc is a guy that does stock repairs while you wait at WI gun shows.
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 03:13 PM
What I have found interesting is that I sent a Stevens Visible Loader stock to the Stock Doctor back in November. He said in three different conversations in December that he was finishing it up and would be mailed out. I have emailed and called but now he is not returning my calls or emails. While yes it is a cheap gun stock it has sentimental value since it was my fathers gun as a child.
In my last call (which was yesterday)I left a voice message, I asked just to return the stock as is and I will pay him for what time he has in it. No response.

Thank Gawd I did not send him my Francotte Stock.
Thoughts?

Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 04:24 PM
Which stock guy are you talking about -- the guy who calls himself Stock Doc in WI, or "The Stock Doctor" in OR??

DES in OR is the only one who goes by "The Stock Doctor".
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 05:49 PM
I've always been happy with Des's work.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 06:38 PM
Folks, quality takes time; a one-man shop like the Stock Doctor doesn't have a front office or a secretary, like we often are used to in other businesses. Denis is at gun shows all this month, so he may not be able to return calls or emails. I doubt he has a distro-list of emails to notify everyone about his absences.

This week he's at Dallas Safari Club. He drives to save money and shipping headaches. Long way from Oregon. I sent him my 1931 Superposed back in August, and I hope to have it back in Feb. If not, maybe March. Hunting season is over anyway.

Gun repairs take two things; money and patience. Usually liberal quantities of both. My guess that even "basic" guns get expert care and attention, as Dennis' reputation is attached to every gun that he repairs. And his reputation is excellent.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 06:46 PM
The two stock doctor guys are clearly two different guys altogether. Thanks to GEB for having the nerve to help all of us by exposing a bad one. If things change for GEB, I hope he will have the courtesy to remove this stain from the WI guy's reputation here.

By the way, just to introduce another of the good guys in the stock repair business, I have been using Doug Fulton, "The Stock Fixer" <http://www.stockfixrs.com/> for several years and have been well pleased with his service and fees...Geo
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 07:24 PM
Wow, the restoration photos on Fulton's website are amazing! I've patched some dings and chips on stocks, and made them invisible, but he took total basket cases and brought them to really fine condition.
Posted By: Normax Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 10:37 PM
Dennis of Oregon does incredible leather pads. He is a perfectionist
Posted By: Bingo5288 Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 11:44 PM
Which guy is Geb referring to?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stock Doctor - 01/18/15 11:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bingo5288
Which guy is Geb referring to?

Stock doc in Wisconsin...Geo
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 01:22 AM
I am referring to the Gentleman in Sheboygan, WI
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 01:26 AM
Let me be clear, I am not staining anyone's reputation, what I am doing is letting others know my experience has been to date.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 01:27 AM
Ok, I thought probably so, Stock Doc -- NOT Stock Doctor.
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 02:13 AM
I was fortunate to have DES save the stock on my 1909 20gauge Smith. It was broken in two at the wrist and he performed fabulous work. In addition, he was a perfect Gentleman in all correspondence.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 03:52 AM
I saw this post while in Dallas. I am sorry for the trouble that has been expressed here. It does my profession no honor. It is my hope this gets resolved soon.

Sincerely;

Dennis Earl Smith
The Stock Doctor
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 11:58 AM
I had Dennis E Smith work on a Holland .450 double rifle, the work was beyond my expectations and I still can not figure how he did it. I have used other stock "repairers" in the past and he is way, way above any others I have used. And to boot he IS a really nice guy! I highly recommend him. He truly can do "Holland or Purdey" quality stock work!
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 12:35 PM
Dennis Earl Smith, I communicated my current experience about some work that I am having done by some one else. Clearly his name was confused by others on this thread. If one scrolls back you will see I was very careful to put the contact information that was provided to me by the other gentleman. In every profession there are the good, the bad and the few who excel at their craft. Clearly you are one of the ones that excels based on comments here. Please enjoy your travel to and from Dallas, be safe.

Once again, I am not saying the gentleman I have been in contact with in WI who has my Stevens Visible loader stock with is poor, I am merely stating the facts as they have transpired so far.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 02:30 PM
Geb, your first post was clear in itself, but with no name shown and with "Stock Doctor" rather than "Stock Doc" in your subject line, the next poster assumed it was DES. After the distinction was pointed out, your later post below again referred to the WI guy as "Stock Doctor". I think this required correction -- even going back to edit your post. There is only one "The Stock Doctor".

Jay

Originally Posted By: Geb
What I have found interesting is that I sent a Stevens Visible Loader stock to the Stock Doctor back in November. He said in three different conversations in December that he was finishing it up and would be mailed out. I have emailed and called but now he is not returning my calls or emails. While yes it is a cheap gun stock it has sentimental value since it was my fathers gun as a child.
In my last call (which was yesterday)I left a voice message, I asked just to return the stock as is and I will pay him for what time he has in it. No response.

Thank Gawd I did not send him my Francotte Stock.
Thoughts?
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/19/15 10:38 PM
Thank you Jay, I was incorrect to say Stock Doctor, I should have said Stock Doc...My deepest apologies to DES..
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Stock Doctor - 01/20/15 02:00 AM
Thank you Geb. No offense taken. Currently I know of six other gentlemen doing business as "Stock Doctor"/"The Stock Doctor"in the USA. When I started 32 years ago there were 2 counting me. All I can do is continue to do my best for those who chose my services.

Thank you one and all for your kind words . I will continue to strive to be worthy of them.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Stock Doctor - 01/23/15 02:30 AM
I have had the Stock Fixrs in Washington state do a total repair of a little combination gun that was completely broken in half at the wrist. I waited 13 months for my turn, but when it came back the repair was undetectable.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Stock Doctor - 01/23/15 11:01 AM
Dennis - it might behoove you to tske the time (and a little money) and register "the Stock Doctor" as trademark. You've spent too much time and effort, and developed a hard-won, excellent reputation for it to be exposed to some guy coming along and piggybacking off you, making money for himself and hurting you in the same minute. He winds up confusing his less-excellent work and service with yours and both you and the marketplace suffer for it.

It might be that the guy in Wisconsin never heard about you and his appropriating your name is totally innocent. Wisconsin's a long way from Oregon. But (a) the internet has pretty well obliterated a lot of the things associated with distance (like "Wisconsin's a long way from Oregon" when it comes to the marketplace) and (b) as your trip to Texas shows, you have a market and reputation that is (at least) nationwide. Moreover, the confusion on this thread over just who was being discussed exemplifies the problem.

This is not to say the guy in Wisconsin is a "bad" guy. Just that you have a reputation in the market to protect. On the internet, where most people get most of their information these days, you and the Wisconsin guy are next-door neighbors.

I've seen it happen too many times, where someone builds a business and reputation over years of hard, dedicated work, only to have some sharpie slide in, steal their name, and hurt their business badly, sometimes fatally. Take the need to do this as a sign of success on your part.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Stock Doctor - 01/24/15 05:38 AM
Thank you Dave in Maine. I have looked into it before.
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/29/15 01:59 AM
I just wanted to follow up on this topic. I did receive my stock back yesterday from the gentleman in WI. I am thankful for that.

Excellent comment and thoughts Dave in Maine.
Posted By: gunut Re: Stock Doctor - 01/29/15 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Geb
I just wanted to follow up on this topic. I did receive my stock back yesterday from the gentleman in WI. I am thankful for that.

Excellent comment and thoughts Dave in Maine.

did he have the stock finished...and was the work of acceptable quality??....
Posted By: Geb Re: Stock Doctor - 01/30/15 01:36 AM
It is of acceptable quality, I mailed out his check today for the work her performed at the price he requested.
Posted By: gunut Re: Stock Doctor - 01/30/15 11:49 AM
glad to hear that....he is close enough to me that if I needed his service I could just drop my gun off in person......
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com