doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: susjwp Charleston/gun shops - 12/09/14 12:27 PM
I am going to Charleston, SC in January for a conference and ask if anyone knows of guns shops, double guns, in and around the area to visit. I will have a car so driving should not be a problem. Is there a Cabelas or another of the big box retailers located in town or nearby and is there a sporting clays or range close.

Thanks,
John
Posted By: Linn Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/09/14 07:22 PM
Google shows 6 or 7 shops with addresses
Posted By: APS Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/09/14 08:09 PM
Charleston is not a big box type of city- there is a Cableas in Greenville, SC which is a couple hours away(and you are not missing much). Not much in the Charleston area as far as fine guns.

Back Woods Quail Club is a great sporting clays and hunting facility not to far from Charleston (Georgetown, SC) and well worth the trip.

al
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/09/14 11:38 PM
Charleston's claim to fame in the sporting arena is the SC Wildlife Exposition, held annually in February, and this year on Feb. 13-15. Pretty impressive list of vendors and exhibitors for next year.

I will second APS on Backwoods Quail Club. Rick Hemingway really knows how to set targets and take care of guests.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/10/14 01:28 AM
Steve Barnett brought his guns to SEWA a few years ago. I don't think he came back. There have been other high end vendors.
Stan, bet you didn't know that the Atlantic Ocean is formed where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers meet. At least that what the folks over there believe. wink
Gil
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/10/14 01:55 AM
And when we lived there they thought everything north of Broad Street was outer space.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/10/14 11:31 PM
I live in Columbia but am in the Charleston area for this week. I know of no gun shop in this area worth going to.

I'll also endorse a trip up to Backwoods Quail Club. Rick Hemingway runs a top notch operation where it's fun to shoot. Backwoods is about 1.5 hours North of downtown Charleston and well worth the drive to shoot.
Posted By: JNW Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/11/14 05:09 AM
Went there last winter for vacation. Great places to buy black guns. Double guns, not so much.
Regards,
Jeff
Posted By: Boats Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/11/14 12:34 PM
Phillip Futrells Mid South Guns in Wagram NC is 200 miles north. Last month counted 102 Parkers on his rack. Add Smiths Fox Ithaca and couple dozen model 21s bet there are 300 American Doubles. That's the right side, left has all the foreign doubles and o/u guns.

No web site no ads nice guy to deal with.

Boats
Posted By: GLS Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/11/14 12:49 PM
Jim Kelly's shop is about 2.5 hours north at Darlington. Last time I was there he had a few on the rack for sale. He's a fine double gunsmith. I'd call first. All kidding aside, Charleston is a real jewel. There's some fine inshore fishing for wintertime redfish. If you have the time, drop down to Beaufort and Savannah. Both are beautiful spots, but no shops have racks of doubles. Savannah has Dick's and Bass Pro and is 2 hours south of Charleston. The nearest Academy Sports (Yildiz) is in Columbia. Gil
Posted By: Mills Re: Charleston/gun shops - 12/12/14 03:23 PM
The bottom line is if you are looking for a good place to buy double guns, SC is not the place for you. At least that is my experience. Backwoods in Georgetown is a great place to shoot though. The best thing to do in Charleston is sample the lowcountry cuisine. Try the Hominy Grill.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com