doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: geauga Gun storage question - 08/25/14 08:58 PM
I store my sxs's in my safe. I usually keep these with the barrels down so any excess oils do not get in the stock ( I keep the oil to an absolute minimum). Does anyone have any reservations with storing shotguns this way? How about with choke tubes? Thanks - Geauga
Posted By: James M Re: Gun storage question - 08/25/14 09:23 PM
That way, barrels down, has been recommended by many. However; this always raises a question with me.
Why do you have so much oil or grease on your gun to cause it to run down to begin with?
Jim
Posted By: old colonel Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 08:19 AM
I see no problems with choke tube guns being stored muzzle down.

On why I agree on storing muzzle down, it is not a question of a large excess flowing down the barrels and into the head. A small amount over times moves down regardless. No different than solid glass panes that gradually over time get thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom with time. italiansxs you are right that the threat may not be as great if you do not over oil, but I believe even small amounts of oil will move over time.

I look at it in terms of muzzle down is not a problem, and no risk. Butt down is small risk. Why risk at all?

I store all my good guns muzzle down and only my black guns butt down.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 11:11 AM
Glass doesn't get thicker over time. Common misunderstanding.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 02:25 PM
Nova Scotia is a raft stuck out in the North Atlantic with salt air coming from all directions. Most gunning is on or near salt water. Salt is a constant. I go with Jim because I've never seen oil-soaked stocks or muzzle down here. "A little dab will do ya." It's worked very satisfactorily for 75 years for me.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 06:09 PM
I do muzzles-down because I like the way a row of doubles looks that way - better, in my opinion, than with muzzles up.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Glass doesn't get thicker over time. Common misunderstanding.

I stand corrected (verified from multiple sources) on the reality that i cited a myth on glass.

However, i still believe muzzle down is the best way to go as oil is not glass
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 07:25 PM
Old colonel, my glass ain't getting thicker but my muzzles are all down! LOL
Posted By: James M Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
[quote=canvasback]Glass doesn't get thicker over time. Common misunderstanding.

I stand corrected (verified from multiple sources) on the reality that i cited a myth on glass.

However, i still believe muzzle down is the best way to go as oil is not glass [/quote

Ok colonel:
Muzzle down. Now what about excess oil/grease running into the forend of a double or the forward part of the stock on a rifle? eek
Maybe the best thing to do would be to lay all long guns down flat or rack them in that manner! grin
Jim]
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Gun storage question - 08/26/14 09:12 PM
My old friend Gene Enterkin stored his 450-400 3" muzzle up and a roach crawled down the barrel and couldn't get out.When it died and rotted, it made a real "bugger" in the barrel.
Mike
Posted By: old colonel Re: Gun storage question - 08/27/14 05:44 AM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
[quote=old colonel][quote=canvasback]
Muzzle down. Now what about excess oil/grease running into the forend of a double or the forward part of the stock on a rifle? eek
Maybe the best thing to do would be to lay all long guns down flat or rack them in that manner! grin
Jim]

I see the issue in terms of SxS/OxU buttstocks collecting draining oil. I have never heard of serious issues with oil soaked fore ends. As to bolt action rifles, I have none left, only two double rifles and two lever actions, I can claim no expertise or opinion here.

Ultimately like many things in doubleguns it comes back to opinion and reason. Opinion is subjective. Reason is subject to error (i.e. my flawed thickening glass analogy) I believe it can be argued how much oil threat there is to a butt stock head is the result of storage vs over oiling. I cannot think of what harm storing muzzle down would be, save racks are not built primarily to store that way and it offends some of our sense of taste for appearance.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com