doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Geb Francotte - 07/07/14 04:07 PM
I bought this gun at a flea market for $25,,, it is missing the forend piece.,, I know the serial numbers will not match,, but is there a resource to replace it, or make one? What exactly kind of shotgun do I have? Year? make? Model.. 12 gauge?

Thank you for your help

Posted By: redoak Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 04:29 PM
$25 bucks!!!!

Guess I better start going to flea markets...

Looks like a side plated box lock, a 12 bore, and a very fine gun with gorgeous engraving.

Replacing the forend will likely be a problem, but for $25.00, one I would not mind having.
Posted By: Geb Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 05:01 PM
There has to be one someplace,, just gotta get the word out,, I was even thinking of having one made if that would be possible
Posted By: james-l Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 05:04 PM
Geb I have a Francotte ejector forend with no wood. Yours for 100.00 if it works, I would be willing to ship it to you for trial fit, you can return if it will not work or pay for it then. My email is in my profile.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 09:38 PM
What is the serial number of the $25.00 Francotte?
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 09:43 PM
Now that eightbore mentioned it you might Google your serial number. The forend may be for sale somewhere.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 09:57 PM
Geb: did you consider the possibility that this very nice gun was stolen, and the owner had removed the forend on purpose?

The proof marks are pre-1924, but Abercrombie & Fitch and Von Lengerke & Detmold sales records exist, and a research letter can be requested from Bob Beach http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 10:36 PM
Boy thats a Lovely looking Gun mate.
I sure woulda bought it .I'm no expert , just like that maker.
As above, Bob could likely help you out, but looks to be at least a mid/upper grade sideplate job...#30 perhaps? lovely fences.
Is it marked VL &D on the outside of bbls?
There might be a script alphabet mark on the flats?.....(not the one with a star on top, that was , I believe the proof viewers personal mark) a cursive "e"was 1926 or 29, I forget, I had a couple of VL&D 20 & 25's.
Don't know how much a new whole fore end might cost , but surely that gun is worth three grand + complete?
I could not have not bought it, just cause its gorgouse...nice one...I really hope you can find , or get a forend made for a decent price...lovely gun
good luck
franc otte
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 11:01 PM
Geb,
just looked again at the pics..what a super Gun mate.
I have a real soft spot for those early Francottes
Good work isn't cheap though, I have no Idea what a made from scratch whole forend fitted to your gun would cost.
But if the rest of the Gun is in good order, good bbl s, tight lock up etc, good sound wood n all its surely worth a try.
Could a new & fitted forend cost 2000 or so?, even if it did you would have a lovely shooter gun, though I guess the new end would cut down the resale price?
If that metal from James is close n could be fitted, your GOLDEN,
please let us know how this works out.
I have seen a Gun or two in this state, but never for 25 dollars
best to you, n good luck
franc
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 11:05 PM
you gunmakers out there,
what kinda cash would this,a from scratch forend metal n wood, fitted to his gun cost?, just in case I see a flea market deal ,lol
franc
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Francotte - 07/07/14 11:48 PM
Drew's supposition that the gun may be stolen is sort of a downer, but not out of the realm of possibility. Many of us take the for-end off our nicest guns and store them securely somewhere else to discourage theft. Mine are in a safety deposit box at the bank.

Be a shame to spend big money on a new fore-end and then suffer a claim. Good faith would be shown by requesting a police department search of serial number records. Just my own opinion...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 12:09 AM
At one time I stored my guns in safes with the fore ends or trigger groups in another location. At one time a had a separate safe in a storage room in my office with shelves with about fifty fore ends and trigger groups. Then I built a separate gun room at home with a large safe door and reinforced concrete walls. A pro will get in, given time and tools, but the local punks will never bother me with my setup.

that said the more likely story is just a case of fore end and gun getting separated by accident. Often the owner forgets where one or the other is or he dies and the heirs can not locate items to make the complete again. I have bought more than one gun missing a stock, or set of barrels or other parts after the owner died and the heirs can not find parts complete the set.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 12:16 AM
I hope it just got lost...well I wish it hadn't,of course, but I wouldn't of thought of a stolen gun as the reason it was missing....
Who knows ?, but what price for a new well made forend iron n wood fitted to a gun?
franc
Posted By: Geb Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 01:09 AM
Thank you all for your feed back. First the serial number on the barrel and the trigger is the same 33750. I never thought it maybe stolen, I collect 30-40 Krags and I never keep bolts or pieces separate. I have all my serial numbers and pictures in a safety deposit box.
On the right barrel is written in script "Von Lengerke & Detmold" (very hard to read, I am old and cant see it too well)
On the left barrel is written in script "U.S.Agents New York"

I will look up the site research that Drew mentioned. I will fire you off an email James after I look to see if in fact it was stolen. If It was I need to return it to its rightful owner. Thank you James for your generous offer, please wait tho.

God Bless!
Posted By: Geb Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 01:20 AM
Great advice thank you
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 01:36 AM
I saw a Charles Daly hammer gun that someone fit a Parker Bros forend to. Don't just try Francotte maybe one of those cheap clunkers would fit with some tuning up???

bill
Posted By: Bob Beach Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 02:38 AM
As to the original question, the Francotte was received in inventory at Von Lengerke & Detmold on January 26, 1901. The model was the Grade 'BB', a sideplated boxlock with ejectors and "Quadruple Wedge Fastening". The Grade 'BB" sold for $200 until the models names were changed and the number of models were reduced in 1910. The Grade 'BB' then became the grade No. 20 and in 1923 it became the grade No.25 as the models were further reduced. Francotte 33750 was transferred to VL&A in 1901.

The same shotgun was consigned for sale at A&F in 1956 and was sold in 1957. Further information is available if Geb will contact me.
Posted By: james-l Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 05:05 AM
For what it is worth I checked the serial on the forend I have, it is 33716. It was with a set of barrels I bought to fit a mod 25 I had about 20 years ago, it has been sitting in my forend drawer since.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 01:05 PM
Serial numbers are really close. I bet the mentioned forend will fit with a little effort.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 01:31 PM
$200 was ALOT of money in 1901. The price is comparable to a Parker BH, Smith No.5, or E grade Remington 1894.

Bob is a wonderful resource and graciously shares information here frequently.
Posted By: Geb Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 03:08 PM
I very much appreciate everyone's input, thank you for that. When I bought it, I thought it would be a major project like my search for a Savage .22 clip that my father looked for for over 40 years.

I have contacted the appropriate authorities so I know the rightful owner before I do anything.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 04:29 PM
Geb, just curious, ...I didn't know that you could just sell/buy a Gun at a flea market, unless pre 1899, or whatever the antique date is?...was there any red tape involved?..or was it because it wasn't a "whole" gun..like , just parts?
Lovely bloody gun for 25 though , smile
franc
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 06:09 PM
Franc, the 1968 Gun Control Act definition of a gun is the action, so the stocked action and barrels Geb bought at the flea market was indeed a gun. The reviled "gun show exception" to the Act is just that intrastate sales between individuals are exempted from the FFL transfer requirement.

Of course it does not just apply to gun shows, but to any transfer among residents of the same State, even a gift from yourself to your grandson. I doubt Arkansas has any additional State Law further limiting the Federal Gun Control Act provisions in this regard....Geo
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 06:15 PM
Thanks George, the most simple & important thing that I should know, shame on me,as I love a good flea /yard sale..but never seem to spot the likes O' that,:)
cheers
franc
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 07:50 PM
"Gun Show Loophole": Yet another term to confuse the non-gun owning public. Like rules are different at a gun show than they are anywhere else. They're not. You're a dealer, you have to follow the same rules (background check etc) that apply if you sell from your shop or over the internet. You're a private seller, it's no different than if you sell a gun face to face at your home, in a parking lot, wherever. Assuming, in both cases, all state laws are followed.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 09:59 PM
Larry's reply is the correct one. There is no "gun show loophole". It is an invention of the left wing anti gun press. If you can sell a gun to a fellow state resident in your driveway or at your gun club, you can also sell him a gun at your show. You should be confident that he is an honest man. That should be all that is required.
Posted By: Geb Re: Francotte - 07/08/14 10:15 PM
I normally go to flea markets to look for things that I grew up with as a child. Yes I know I am a kid at heart still. I was actually looking for a insulated metal milk container for my front porch. The kind that the milkman would put your glass quarts of milk in.

I dont know about other states, but here I see guns on tables all the time and lately bullets. Mostly 9mm, .22 and 223. Nothing I am interested in. Most of the guns I have seen are run of the mill Remington, Winchester, 270's 7mm... but what made this stand out was its engravings. The guy wanted $50 and I told him that it probably unsafe to shoot due to the metal used and that it was missing the piece. I asked him if he would take $25 and he agreed. I was more looking for a project. I still view this as a project. Just waiting on the authorities to ensure it is not stolen.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com