doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 12:28 AM
Just found out Charles Semmer passed away May 1, 2014. He was 87.

I was in contact with Mr Semmer earlier this year, buying a copy of his book on Remington shotguns. He preferred to communicate by telephone so I ended up having several very enjoyable conversations with him. He was a fountain of information and very willing to share many stories and thoughts. He kindly wrote a very nice personalized inscription to me in the book.

Really glad I finally got around to buying that book. I had been thinking about it for several years. A good reminder to "get it done" One never knows when it will be too late.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 12:37 AM
It is a good book, and important because it is the only real reference work that I know of for Remington S x S guns. Sorry to hear of his passing.

SRH
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 01:39 AM
I am very sorry to learn of his passing. Charles and I had many interesting discussions on researching and publishing a book. Sadly, only a fraction of the learned material ends up being printed. There a lot of nuances learned that just don't make it to the printed page. Much has been lost. My sincere condolences to his family and the sector of the gun community who care.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 02:37 AM
I bought his book maybe 10 years ago and he was kind enough to send me an autographed copy.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 03:46 PM
Charlie was a great guy, true professional photographer by the old definition and a breed of self-motivated researcher we see around here but fading all to fast.
It is my understanding he was also a BPCR competitor at one time.
He will live on in his wonderful book, stories and photographs.
Rest In Peace Charlie...
Posted By: eightbore Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 08:45 PM
He had "enough" of his knowledge published in the Double Gun Journal and in his astounding book. So many researchers do not have "enough" of their knowledge published for the use of those who pass after them. Mr. Semmer did it better than almost anyone else. I met him at Ilion at an RSA seminar and was educated and entertained by his presentation, both the guns and the verbal presentation.
Posted By: eeb Re: Charles Semmer - 05/17/14 11:06 PM
Ten years ago when I bought my first hammergun, a 16 gauge 1889 in very nice condition, I called Mr. Semmer and he talked to me about Remington doubles for a good hour. It was all new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation. Condolences to his family.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Charles Semmer - 05/19/14 12:06 AM
Several years ago I was selling a Remington EE, one of 38 known to exist (according to Charlie). I was able to get him involved, and sent him pictures to include in his records. He was interesting, fun to work with and I felt so fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know him over the phone at least. What a fine gentleman and the world is a better place because of him. My condolonces to his family.
Posted By: JimfromTrafalgar Re: Charles Semmer - 05/19/14 12:32 AM
My wife got me an autographed copy years ago as a birthday present. You could tell he knew and cared about the subject His kind are always missed.
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com