doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gartenmeister Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 05:36 PM
Hello all, I am looking for a little help with a case that I have. I have been told that it is a Browning "Elephant Hide" case, and I did find a similar one on gunsinternational that seems to confirm.

I would like to know more about it, including the following:

-how old is it?
-what is it actually made out of?
-what gun went in it, and is the SXS configuration original?
-and of course, what is its value?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!

Here are some photos. Please ignore the Jeffery label.

Posted By: Dave K Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 05:51 PM
Pre War, Black "pre" Tolex

Doubt its worth as much as this guy is asking but they can bring some better money over the newer ones.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Browning-A5-A-5-Pre-war-Black-Tolex-Gun-case.cfm?gun_id=100369165
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 05:58 PM
I do not know what it is worth, but it sho is nice. Let me know if you decide to slap a price on it.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 06:33 PM
I would say 40's or earlier. Yours looks to have had some modification to acomidate a side by side.
A friend of mine just purchased a pre war Superposed and it cam e in one.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 10:30 PM
I'll opine that it is embossed cowhide. Not a bad thing at all.

DDA
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 10:34 PM
Y'all sure it isn't elephant? Sure similar to leather on my elephant boots.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/07/14 11:00 PM
The original inside of the case has been stripped out and replaced with dividers to suit a gun other than the Browning it was made for. Too bad. I would still buy that case in its present side by side configuration. PM me.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/08/14 05:14 AM
What makes you think the case in question was ever a Browning case? The handle and latches are different than those shown on the cases in my pre-WW-II Browning catalogues. My money is on the case in question having been a side-by-side case from the get go.
Posted By: Gartenmeister Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/08/14 05:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
What makes you think the case in question was ever a Browning case? The handle and latches are different than those shown on the cases in my pre-WW-II Browning catalogues. My money is on the case in question having been a side-by-side case from the get go.

The person who matched the case to the Jeffery rifle that has been residing in it claims that it had a Browning tag when he acquired it. I agree that all of the hardware looks different from the other examples I have seen on the internet. However, the covering material sure does look similar.
Posted By: Gartenmeister Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/12/14 02:44 PM
Any guesses what the case is worth (as it sits)?
Posted By: Rick W Re: Browning "Elephant Hide" case? - 03/12/14 11:39 PM
Locks on the case date it to much more recent than more vintage. (I'll say vintage as 100 yrs.+) So, it still may be 50+ years old. Rounded corners are certainly more recent when plastic was used. Be interesting what's under the underside of the lid? The inside lid photo looks somewhat odd - Like an insert has been added? Have to agree that it looks more like embossed leather or even leatherette / vinyl. Just remember when it comes to a vintage look, most everything has been copied/duplicate/imitated.
Can't imagine more than a std Browning case is worth. $300 +/-.
Interesting though.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com