doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jim Legg Guns International site open - 03/15/07 05:43 PM
Hi,
I see the new Guns International site is up and running. Has anyone looked at it? Have you seen the "FFL Fee" posted on the ads? What do you think?
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Guns International site open - 03/15/07 06:00 PM
Jim:

what the site address

JOhn
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Guns International site open - 03/15/07 09:20 PM
I think the FFL fee is just a transfer fee if you use that dealer for a tranfer. I don't think sellers are going to charge a transfer fee as well as the one your personal dealer charges. Then again, with some dealers I wouldn't be surprised.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Guns International site open - 03/15/07 10:33 PM
http://www.gunsinternational.com/
I got a reply from Thad Scott, who said it was their shipping charge.
A reply from the owner of the Gunsinternational site said it is as the last poster said, the fee for that dealer to receive a gun FOR you, not to sell you one. The term, however, is very confusing and has no business in the ad format. I told them so. Nothing wrong with either a shipping charge or a transfer fee charged by an FFL for an incoming out-of-state firearm. The latter serves no purpose being shown in a for sale ad, though. It only adds confusion.
Otherwise, the little chance I've had to look it over, the site looks good.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Guns International site open - 03/15/07 10:37 PM
Can we keep Ed1 off there?
Posted By: dogon Re: Guns International site open - 03/15/07 10:53 PM
I looked it over and it seems to be along the lines of the old GA site.
The only thing I noticed was everything is dealers so far. Will private sellers be allowed on this site? If so I'll take GA off my favorites list.
Posted By: Hansli Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 12:58 AM
It looks like the replacement fo GA. Easy to navigate and large photographs. There are dealers there because the store just opened. The inventory should increase over the next few days, once the word gets out. That would be my guess, anyway. How GA will handle this competitor will be interesting to watch.
Posted By: Double Trouble Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 01:18 AM
Hansli, I've already heard from GA. They sent me my long lost wishlist today and I haven't and won't pay their 9.97 per month fee for it.

Larry
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 01:36 AM
I just recived an email today from GI and set up a selling and buying account. It sure was easy to navigate through the guns.
They are getting aggressive to offer 3 months free to gun dealers, I think we will see quickly if they take over for GA.
How do they get all of our email addresses?(I'm no techie)
Posted By: Jim Kilday Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 04:32 AM
Guns International was started by a good friends of mine, David Powell and his wife Deborah after several major dealers saw what was happening when the new owners at GunsAmerica "redesigned" what I always thought was a pretty good program.

The website is customer oriented and, in my opinion, will emerge as the best site of its kind on the Internet. David is a knowledgeable collector and fully understands what both buyers and sellers need and will be responsive to those needs.

Westley Richards along with most of the major US dealers will have their inventories on Guns International. It will be open to everyone not just dealers. If you have a suggestion that would improve the service, write David and tell him. Our industry needs this kind of medium and David and Deborah Powell fully intend to provide it.

This is not a paid political announcement. Neither I nor Westley Richards have any financial interest in this website but we do have a serious interest in its ultimate success.

Jim Kilday
Managing Partner
Westley Richards Agency
Bozeman, MT
Posted By: Double Trouble Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 05:58 AM
When they first came on the internet they were asking for comments or suggestions. I asked for a FREE wishlist like Guns America used to offer telling them that I would refuse to pay for what is essentially advertisments for them. They think they can get 10 dollars a month for it just like GA thought they could.

GA apparently has come to their senses as I received my FREE wishlish today. Are you listening now GI?

"LEEEEEEEEEEET'S get ready to RUMMMMBLE!"

Larry
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 01:38 PM
After a quick peruse, I find it easy to use and displays the new listings. Hope it succeeds. I will start to use it.
Reminds me of the state of the various knife Forums 5 years ago. These forums were completely out of control. A group of us started our own knife Forum which is 5 years old now. I NEVER go back to any othe these other Forums.-Dick
Posted By: J Randol Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 01:39 PM
I see Connecticut Shotgun has a Smith for $14.00.

Title: L. C. SMITH - Eagle, 20ga 9063
Description:
L. C. SMITH - Eagle, 20ga, 32", F/F, very rare, factory vent rib, very highly sought after collectable gun, 99% barrel blue, wood finish, case color, straight grip, pad, near perfect gun in every respect. 14 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 2 1/2', 7 lbs., 5 oz.
Price: $14.00

Think he would sell it for that? I'd buy it!
Posted By: Riprap Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 05:38 PM
Now I understand. Two days ago I started getting my wishlist from Guns America. I had refused to pay a fee to have it. I never look at Guns America since the change. I had two ads that I let expire.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 06:34 PM
Same thing happen to me Riprap,got one yesterday and then today from G/A.They must be seeing that light at the end of the tunnel and realizing its a train comming to run them over at G/A.This new site is much better,thanks for keeping us up to date on it.I have added it to my fav list and joined.
Dave K
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 06:37 PM
Easy to navigate and pretty user friendly for both the Buyer and the Seller. It will be interesting to see what happens after the free registration period ends. My guess is that it will become a "Dealer Only" site. For a dealer its simply a cost of doing business and probably cheaper advertising than Gun Digest. I cannot visualize the private seller who has only a couple of guns to sell paying the monthly fee. So if you are a buyer I wouldn't write off GA...although I don't know how you can stay in business on the honor system. JMHO.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 07:03 PM
Looks good so far... Bite us, GA.
Posted By: JAZ Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 07:45 PM
David is a friend of mine as well. Great guy. Big Bore elephant hunter as well. GA was so unresponsisive David felt that a new site was needed. Private individuals can sell as also. The only fee they are charging, in coming months, is a $10.00 listing fee. Support him if you can, as the only reason GA is changing now is because of competition.
JZ
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 09:34 PM
I had a nice chat on the phone with David, this morning. It is certainly open to individuals. The fee for "Free members" is $10 to list a gun for 90 days and $5 to renew for another 90 days. However, the fees are not charged for this first 90 day period to encourage registration. There is no fee for selling the gun. His intention is to have buyers and sellers deal directly with each other and not through the site. Not necessarily a bad idea except that if you sell it through an ad on another site, you still have paid GI the listing fee. Go there yourself and read all the information you can find about procedures, etc.
Posted By: JAZ Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 09:54 PM
Spoke with David - a couple of points of clarification
- there will be no wishlist fee
-anyone can sell or buy, not just dealers
-the fee is free for this next 90 days to list a gun
- in the future the fee will be $10 for the first 90 days and then $5 for the next 90 or in total, $25 for the entire year. This seems very reasonable, to me.
JZ
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 10:27 PM
Looks like the best site yet for trading. I'm a buyer and welcome the simple catagories. And also the photos are great! Congratulations!
Posted By: Mike B. Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 10:33 PM
I JUST GAVE MY FORMER LOVER A GOODBYE KISS! IF SHE WANTS TO WIN MY AFFECTION AGAIN, SHE'S GOING TO HAVE ONE HELL OF A TIME!
I NEVER REALLY LIKED JIM ZUMBO THAT MUCH, BUT I WAS SMITTEN WITH GA. BUT THEY HAVE BOTH BETRAYED ME AND ONCE DUMPED I WON'T RETURN EASILY. ALREADY HAVE A POTENTIAL NEW LOVE (GI) IN THE WINGS.
MIKE
PS "DO NOT TELL MY WIFE OR DOGS"
WHEN DID I GET 5 STARS?
Posted By: Edge Re: Guns International site open - 03/16/07 10:49 PM
Well. So much for the new GA owner's assertion that it was impossible to go back to the old GA format. From a search standpoint, this new site is very similar to the old GA, but is even better in that there seems to be more refinement of the categories and there is a simple word search feature that actually produces matches. Moreover, it is not unnecessarily invasive, unlike the "improved" GA site. There's no way I was going to register at that snarled up mess just to look at the pictures.
I REALLY like this new site. I now hope to see GA wither away and die, and the sooner the better so that I can free up space in my Favorites files.
Posted By: Double Trouble Re: Guns International site open - 03/17/07 01:32 AM
I emailed GI last night to complain about the wishlist fee and to tell them that GA is now back to offering a free wishlish and much to my surprise I got a reply back telling me that the wishlist will now be added to the free membership.

It seems their commitment to bring buyer and seller together "The Easy Way" is for real.

Larry
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Guns International site open - 03/17/07 02:43 AM
Larry, at least GI was attentive enough to answer your e-mails. I sent a number of polite and hopefully constructive notes to GA and never heard even a peep from them. I've already deleted them from my favorites. GI seems to be very user friendly.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Guns International site open - 03/17/07 03:55 AM
GA has also gone into my recycle bin. I found out from David(GI) that GA has raised their selling charge to $20(up from $10). I have entered a listing on GI.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Guns International site open - 03/19/07 04:42 PM
I was browsing the GA site. It has become impossible to even begin to make an informed decision. The images are just too small to show any real detail.

I will give the GI site this much. The images are decent size. Still would be nice to see more guns available there. Hopefully, as time goes on.

Pete
Posted By: bosands71 Re: Guns International site open - 03/20/07 04:00 PM
this new site is ok, mostly dealers right now so prices are extremely high. we will see over time what happens with it. I will use both with the new GA you can now search by gauge and pics are fine when your logged in. with the new GA there are still a few things that need to be ironed out, but if everyone stops looking better for us that still do.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com