doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: damascus A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 11:32 AM

After locating the Deal gun case featured in another posting when I opened it a long forgotten hunting associated object fell out bringing back some memories of now long past wild fowling days.
Its name is a ‘Hunters Kettle’ used in the field to provide a hunter with that quintessential of British things a cup of tea or any other drink requiring hot water for that matter. This unbranded Edwardian version is approximately 5 X 2½ inches just small enough to fit in your pocket with all its essential parts packed neatly inside its cup, it is manufactured from ‘Electro Plated Nickel Silver’ so belonging lower down the social ladder. And of course it came from a time when here in Britland the water in rivers and streams was clean and safe enough to drink after boiling. The small box will hold enough Tea and Sugar mix for two cups of hot sweet black tea the Victorians cure for every thing with the water heated using the double wicked spirit burner. Now I have only seen one other of these objects it was manufactured from silver with a rather hefty price tag though it did have a crest engraved on it belonging to some member of the upper classes.
I was wondering are there other items along the same lines out there?

Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 02:21 PM
Very nifty - and certainly much lighter and more compact than a thermos flask!
Posted By: Cameron Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 02:46 PM
That is very slick! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the "Hunter's Kettle". However, I've seen others use, myself included, an aluminum coffee pot, about a quart or thereabout in size, stuffed with matches, tea bags, sugar, small containers of ground coffee, etc and stowed away with the other hunting gear.

I guess a more crude Yank version of the Hunters Kettle.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 03:10 PM
I imagine this WWII Army stove is about as close as you'll get here in the US

I used to have one, but for backpacking it was heavy and easy to tip over. For car camping, where weight didn't matter, there were far better stoves available. I finally sold it to a collector.
Steve
PS I like the Brit version better!
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 03:40 PM
Clever devices are a gas. I have not seen this particular system before, glad I looked!

I got a Kelly Kettle, a veritable portable blast furnace that can boil a liter and half of water in one minute, and it will singe your eyebrows if you stand over it. Efficient, but lacks the charm of portability and that sense of self reliance of this one. And you got to love those turned pillars!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 04:18 PM
The smallest I've seen used was a soda can alcohol stove. Held 8 oz liquid.
I use a Jetboil pretty regularly, no panache, but it has saved my life a couple times. They work at altitude. Boils 1qt in about 2 min from snow.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 04:52 PM
Or you can do like we did in 'Nam- use an empty C rats can and ablue heat tab to boil up water for whatever- Not quite "Downtown Abbie" grade, and of course, not a pound of sterling, but what da hey!!
Posted By: Dennis Daigger Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 05:19 PM
For those that must have traditional British sporting goods-- The Pre-war JetBoil. I can imagine it in sheep camp.

Really cool.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 05:34 PM
They made similar devises that were designed to fit the frame of a Raleigh (or, Rudge, or, whatever) traditional English three speed bicycle.
I have seen a few of them on the Lake Pepin three speed tour. Folks still use 'em.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 09:45 PM
Nice kit to look at, recalls bygone days I guess. But I'll take my old Thermos bottle, thanks. I can have a cup of hot coffee and be back to killing ducks while you're getting that thing assembled.

When I go hunting I go to hunt, not cook tea.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
it has saved my life a couple times.

Tell us more about that, CZ. Sounds interesting.

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/19/14 11:40 PM
This Damascus' thread, but the reason for these items is as much for survival as comfort. I had an outboard ice up on Superior hunting squaw, and when the front hit us, it was raining ice with a dead motor. The swells blew us up on to an island, and we had to wait out the storm for help to arrive. Hot drinks maintain core temp and lift spirits. When you are hypothermic it's a fine line between making it and not.
Another time I was hunting Sage Hens in Northwest CO. Same deal, squall, high winds, low visibility, but unending snow. About two feet all in all. First the dogs and I bivouaced under a cutout ravine bank, but the squall didn't stop. Then we used the gps to get to the Jeep. We spent the night in the Jeep.

Drove out through grill high snow in the AM.

People always ask why I carry so much stuff, but when SHTF, I am there for everybody, not just me.

A cup of tea can reverse all the wrongs with the situation. Your mind can reason, you can avoid doing stupid things.

When ever I see an item like above that shows honest wear, I think there are souls attached to it.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: A Brit Hunters Kettle - 01/20/14 01:23 AM
I love the Esbit pocket stove burning solid alcohol tablets. Carried by German troops in WWII. Boils a liter in a couple minutes and easily fits in small pocket. Indestructible.

http://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com