doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: L. Brown Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 12/24/13 01:26 PM
Los Angeles importer. Mine dates from 1972, as does an "Optimus Grade" mentioned in Carder's "Side by Sides of the World" (also 72), although the Optimus is a sidelock, while mine is a scalloped-back boxlock "Eros Grade". Via Google, I find reference to a Philip Katsenes who had several gun patents in the 70's: Recoil damper, trigger sequencer, modifiable stock. Google also connects Katsenes to an outfit called "London Guns", located in either Santa Barbara or Santa Monica. There's a cartouche on the rib where it appears a maker's name may have been removed.

Pretty nice boxlock ejector, single nonselective trigger, ejectors. Anyone know anything else about Katsenes or have any experience with their guns?
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 12/24/13 01:49 PM
Philip was a great gentleman and craftsman. He was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. His work was always top notch and he made many different metal parts for the gunsmithing community. He is missed.

The pads sold under the "London Guns" brand are still being manufactured on a need basis by Mark Beasland of Mark's Born Again Bird Guns. Similar to a Silvers pad in looks. Different in they are now made only in 3/4".
Posted By: postoak Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 12/24/13 02:50 PM
Eros Grade ?

Watch out you could get screwed on that deal smile
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 12/24/13 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: DES/TSD
Philip was a great gentleman and craftsman. He was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. His work was always top notch and he made many different metal parts for the gunsmithing community. He is missed.

The pads sold under the "London Guns" brand are still being manufactured on a need basis by Mark Beasland of Mark's Born Again Bird Guns. Similar to a Silvers pad in looks. Different in they are now made only in 3/4".

Thanks! Had lunch today with Mark, and even he did not know for sure that the "London Guns" pads came from Katsenes. Also picked up on Google that a Katsenes .410 is in the NRA Museum.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 12/25/13 03:40 PM
I think I bought the last of the original London Guns pads from the shop in Santa Barbara shortly before they closed. Took me a while to track them down, but I prefer them to the Silvers repro pads.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 04/21/14 09:21 PM
I currently have in my possession a set of 20 gauge ventilated ribbed barrels marked KATENES-CIE-LOS ANGELES OPTIMUS GRADE. they appear to be made for gun S/N 03353. There's a cartouche on the rib where it appears a maker's name may have been removed, as you mentioned Mr. Brown. Very nicely made. I would be interested in any information anyone can share.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 04/25/14 05:16 PM
Thought I would gun this to the top again to see if anyone has something to share.
Posted By: pmag Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/16/15 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostrider
Thought I would gun this to the top again to see if anyone has something to share.

I just bought that gun from Mark B. Larry and me have owned each others guns for years.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/16/15 11:07 PM

Ghostrider, the Optimus is described in Carder's "Side by Sides of the World": Should be a sidelock. The one mentioned in Carder's book was engraved by A. Muffolini. Described as "very ornate". Pete's gun (my old gun), the Eros Grade, is a nicely engraved scalloped boxlock. Interesting that the Optimus mentioned by Carder dates to 1972, as does my/Pete's Eros.
Posted By: pmag Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/17/15 12:54 PM
It's a spitting image of a scallop back Westley Richards. One of my favorites.
Posted By: pmag Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/29/15 01:48 AM
Mystery solved. I spoke to Mr. Katsenes's widow tonight. She said all of the London Guns Ltd. records had been sent to the ATF. She said she thought she had the import records and asked for the serial number. I gave it to her and she told me the gun was made by Mario Beschi in 1972 and was imported here in the same year. She was very nice to do that.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/29/15 12:38 PM
Nice piece of research, Pete! Back then, Beschi was pretty highly regarded although not all that well known. Since then, the reputation attached to that name has suffered somewhat as a result of the Ithaca Classic Doubles rejects being imported to the States and marked Mario Beschi.
Posted By: pmag Re: Italian mystery gun: Katsenes Cie - 01/29/15 06:36 PM
Thanks, Larry. It was fun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com