doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunlover Ever fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 05:40 PM
Has anyone ever fired a ribless side by side?

Alex Martin is the best known ribless side by side, probably there are other makes out there.

Reason for asking is to see if there is any strange sound effect in firing a ribless side by side. An experimental one made using a French Robust resulted in an audible clanging, like a bell and would like to know if this is a trait common to all ribless side by sides.
Posted By: VintageProf Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 05:57 PM
My Alex Martin ribless 12 bore makes no strange sounds when fired.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 06:14 PM
Prof thank you for the info.

The current project is a ribless SXS and the clanging worried me. It must be a quirk of the particular one we modified.

The Martin, judging by pics, has a kind of oval packing piece at about a third of the way from the breech. That probably acts as a damper.
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 06:54 PM
I fired a ribless Martin and it sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88a2L9hoLIo

OWD
Posted By: lagopus Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 07:25 PM
Goodness O-W-D that sounds like someone strangling a cat! Oddly, I have 2 24 bores; one English with 30" barrels and one Belgian with 26" barrels and both twang like a tuning fork when fired. Not figured out why these are the only two guns that I have ever known do this. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/18/13 07:35 PM
Tuning forks, that describes the sound exactly, but much louder.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Eve fired a ribless SXS? - 12/19/13 09:37 AM
I sleeved a sxs a soldered barrel spacers in with the intent to put a rib on it. I never fitted a rib to it but fired it a good bit. I think it does make a ringing sound when fired. I'm visiting with a friend who bought it from me a while back. I'll ask what he noticed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com