doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: damascus Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:07 PM
It has taken some forty five years to bring to an end a personal story and search that where both started in the 1960s.
First the story in short when I was in my early twenties I had all my life’s luck in one large helping you could say. It all began at a local Cheshire shooting club sale one Sunday morning when a dealer opened the boot (trunk) of his car and at the back in the half dark was a Purdey wood bar shotgun, in the most appalling condition which I fell for immediately well it was a Purdey after all. I borrowed the money to purchase the gun which then gave me further years of saving to restore it to the usable condition it is in today.
The search was caused by the dealer I purchased the gun from because he removed the gun from its original Oak and leather case so he could make some extra cash by selling the case separately. Now at the time I could only raise enough cash to purchase the gun only so the case disappeared never to be seen again. The guns case may have disappeared but the picture it left in my mind has never changed or the want for the gun to have case from its own historical time period, its original case was black leather rather than the usual brown version’s we see with a Burgundy lining.
Now a month ago I was looking through one of the internet auction sites there jumping out from the screen was an exact version of that case that I committed to memory all those years ago. Identical size and colour but with a different makers label though from the same time period as the gun, though its condition varied from dreadful to wrecked with missing straps and handle its lock worked when it felt like and one of the previous owners had painted two roundels I suppose for identification at a distance on the top. Just like the gun all those years ago I purchased it and in the end the price was not what I would call reasonable either in fact I will say at my age I really should have known better!!!!!!!!!

After the brutal removing of the roundels and paint splashes using a solvent and abrasive then it was the restoration of the extremely dried out Aniline leather which mainly consisted of half a day in a Neat’s-foot oil and steam bath. Next was re-dyeing leather where the roundels had been removed then what seemed like vast amounts of Lanolin and neat’s-foot oil mixture (also good for your hands) vigorously rubbed in to improve the leather’s overall condition. To complete the leather work I made four replacement case strap retainers because their leather had become far too brittle to be re-used plus making two new straps each fitted with a vintage buckle. Finally a well proportioned vintage leather handle that I purchased from another auction site though not in as good condition as the photographs led me to believe, so after re-stitching and making two new case handle loops to replace the original damaged ones and changing its colour from brown to black and fitting a couple of new brass ‘D’ rings.

The Brass case fittings where all present though black and showing every bit their hundred plus years of life, so I made the conscious decision to clean them only to the point that you can see they are brass but not removing the dents and marks. The one thing I was not prepared to do was clean all sixty four half inch screws from the corner fitting’s and strap retainer’s I purchased new replacement’s.

That is the end of my efforts on the outside of the case the next instalment will be re- lining the inside.

So far so good!!!!
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:23 PM
Absolutely wonderful!
You, Sir, have done a wonderful thing and I applaud your excellent work. The results are simply amazing, and as an owner of older side by sides, I can share somewhat in your feelings of richly deserved pride.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Posted By: shortround Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:34 PM
Damascus,

Great story and a wonderful job restoring the case. It looks just great. Nothing better than putting a vintage gun in a good looking vintage case. How many hours did it take to fully restore? Is the gun you will put in this case the gun you loaned out for the movie, "The Shooting Party"?

Shortround
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:41 PM
very nice work,

are you going to need to do a refit along with the recovering on the inside? Or did you luck into a drop in fit?
Posted By: Birdog Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:48 PM
Well done.
Bravo
Posted By: popplecop Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:52 PM
Beautiful, great story to go with. I have a wood and leather Browning case from 32 and the A5 16 that came with it. About time I get the case restored. Won't match your Purdy and case, but will be something for me to pass on to either son or daughter. Thanks for getting me to do something with the case, A5 is great shape.
Posted By: popplecop Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:52 PM
Beautiful, great story to go with. I have a wood and leather Browning case from 32 and the A5 16 that came with it. About time I get the case restored. Won't match your Purdy and case, but will be something for me to pass on to either son or daughter. Thanks for getting me to do something with the case, A5 is great shape.
Posted By: popplecop Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 12:53 PM
Sorry for double post, was interrupted.
Posted By: eeb Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 01:11 PM
Well done. It's amazing how these things become etched in our memories. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 02:06 PM
Great job, and a beautiful one at that.
Posted By: Fletchedpair Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 02:16 PM
Thats a really beautiful job there Damascus. Well done!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 02:42 PM
Wow, mate!
It's great that the leather could be saved...I'm not surprised it soaked up so much of your conditioner.
Sometimes the old leather has just had it, & no matter how much you soak it, it has no fiber left in it.
I like the black, kinda unusually nice.
There's only one thing missing mate.....where's the bloody bar in wood Purdey????
Don't tease us, smile
Lovely job
franc
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 03:22 PM
You brought back a case which most would consider to be a hopeless cause, dead if you want to call it by its real name. But it was just mostly dead. I know that even a labor of love like this takes hours and hours to complete. Your efforts are not wasted on such a great case.
Posted By: cpa Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 05:32 PM
Looks great! Can you explain the neatsfoot oil - steam bath process? Thanks.
Posted By: damascus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 08:09 PM
Hi all

I think I had better start answering your questions.

Short round yes It is the same gun that James Mason is holding in the Film ‘The Shooting Party’ and if you don’t mind me saying again it is probably the only film that truly captured what a British Edwardian country house shoot was like in reality the shoot scenes available to watch on u tube.
OH. It could be a drop in fit but the cases original resident had 32 inch barrels and a dolls head extension so some wood needed at each end of the barrel compartment, also the action securing strap is missing as is the stop in the action compartment at the stock end so I will have to fit some timber there. Also though it is not clear from the photograph the tops of the oak liners are so split that they are falling off so need repairing. But as the case is it could be used if I did the repairs to the oak liners.
Cpa. The steam and oil treatment was given to the leather because it was that dry it had the consistency of wood. Because it is Aniline leather there is no surface sealing coat and it is naturally porous after tanning so if it is not regularly maintained it dry’s out so you have to put a certain amount of water back to hydrate the leather and oil to lubricate the leather fibres or it will start to crack especially along the hinge line. So the steam and Neetsfoot oil treatment was used in times now long past to soften all sorts of leather articles if they became too hard.
The treatment is simple you need a large box cardboard will work for a one off job and a wallpaper steamer (the gadget you for removing wallpaper from a wall) because it provides steam for quite a long time between re-fills. Now I am not sure that Neetsfoot oil is available in the States but it is worth the effort to locate a source because it is the finest treatment for softening leather there is but the smell can be a little off putting. You apply a very thin coat of oil over the leather article and place it in a steam filled box the heat and the steam will encourage the oil to soak deeply in to the leather fibres and the steam gently hydrates the leather at the same time.
Frank will this picture be ok.

Posted By: Igorrock Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 09:39 PM
Quote:
So the steam and Neetsfoot oil treatment was used in times now long past to soften all sorts of leather articles if they became too hard.
Do you mean this oil ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil
Posted By: damascus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 09:53 PM
Yes Igorrock that is the oil I am referring to.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: damascus
Yes Igorrock that is the oil I am referring to.
If Sir Winston C. was still extant, he'd have a fit with your syntax here, es[ecially for a Brit- Yes--Igor, that is the exact oil to which I referred previous- Tut Tut and Tisk-Tisk- no excuse for improper grammar in a civilized world, ey Wot??
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/18/13 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: popplecop
Point of spelling here, my good man- Will not match your Purdey and case- etc- a Purdy with case would be a high grade paint brush- the Purdy brush Co. makes the best paint brushes, they are the "Steinways" of the painter's trade- house painters- Don't know if old Andy Wyeth used them for his NE sea-scapes though. Now a Purdey is indeed, either a Steinway or Bosendorfer of the double gun realm-- truly a treasure indeed- and deserving of a fine case as well-
Posted By: damascus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/19/13 02:26 AM
Hi Fox To be truly correct it is not the EXACT oil at all I was referring to but the oil that is available in today’s market place as described in Wikipedia which is extracted from animal Lard. The oil I actually used was some thirty years or so old, intended for human use and of BP quality (British Pharmacopoeia) so made from the real things lower leg animal bones so I feel that my reply was correct.
But you where not privy to all the information I had when forming my reply I felt sure that it would be to much information and therefore complicate the reply more than necessary.
And as a true scouser my feelings on the subject are if I had have written the reply in colloquial Liverpudlian it would be no contest on syntax or the English language.

In the picture I am the young man second from the right looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights the photograph was taken at that famous Liverpool cellar club on one of the nights the Beatles played there. A bit of the subject but I do like people to know I was THERE!!!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/19/13 02:46 AM
Damascus,
I guess that pic 'll do :), though I'd rather be taking it myself on my Billiard table,& owning the Gun.
What a beaut,cool that Mr Mason used it.I can;t believe I haven't seen that film yet, heard about it....lovely gun n case..sweet
franc from Yeovil.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/19/13 04:57 PM
Great story; nice case!
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/19/13 06:04 PM
JDW
Congratulations on a job well done!Over the past 50 or so years I have attempted to restore the exterior of at least 20 leather gun cases. I have never come close to matching the excellence of your work.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/19/13 10:10 PM
Hi Fox To be truly correct it is not the EXACT oil at all I was referring to but the oil that is available in today’s market place as described in Wikipedia which is extracted from animal Lard. The oil I actually used was some thirty years or so old, intended for human use and of BP quality (British Pharmacopoeia) so made from the real things lower leg animal bones so I feel that my reply was correct.
But you where not privy to all the information I had when forming my reply I felt sure that it would be to much information and therefore complicate the reply more than necessary.
And as a true scouser my feelings on the subject are if I had have written the reply in colloquial Liverpudlian it would be no contest on syntax or the English language.

In the picture I am the young man second from the right looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights the photograph was taken at that famous Liverpool cellar club on one of the nights the Beatles played there. A bit of the subject but I do like people to know I was THERE!!!
Looks like Lenny Bruce and Lawrence Harvey were also there- sorry, the Beatles and the Stones aren't my cup of tes (Lord Earl Gray, no sugar, creme (cream) or lemon-just straight up, no junque (junk) in it, thanks awfully much there old chap@! I do enjoy John Elgar's works, also some of J.S. Bach's pieces when he visited England for the chance to play several renown Church organs in London--Cheerio!!
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/20/13 01:04 AM
The man who handled the dogs in "The Shooting Party" is Vince Mitchell, who has competed and judged Labrador Field Trials for decades (He is now somewhere north of 80 years old). It was very interesting to listen to him describe the filming of the movie. It was not a smooth as it appeared on the screen.
I arranged to get a Lab [censored] puppy from what he claimed was going to be his last litter. Our girl "Daisy" is turning out to be special critter. Smart, a good marker and a really good nose. Thanks Vince
Posted By: damascus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/20/13 04:16 PM
Hi All

I have had quite a few e-mails from people who live this side of the pond who know me all asking about the proportions of the Lanolin & Neatsfoot mixture I used to restore the gun case leather with. So for any body who would like to give it a try and knowing how much is charged for a small pot of leather food making it can save you a fortune.
I will not claim the mix is all my own work it was given to me by the now late John Bowen who was the head groom for one of the lesser royals here in Britland, who thought the best sporting day out besides shooting was a fast gallop over the Moors on a frosty morning on a spirited hunter.

4 Fluid ounces of Neetsfoot Oil
1 Fluid ounce of Cod Liver Oil
¼ Ounce Bees Wax
½ Ounce Lanolin
This part is not necessary for the formula but it does mask the smell of the Neetsfoot Oil add a number of drops of essential oil Orange Lavender or my preferred poison Bergamot

Heat the oils together just enough to melt the Bees Wax and Lanolin YOU MUST NOT LET IT BOIL other wise it will be ruined a double boiler really helps here. Best used on the leather slightly warm and rub in well, also it does darken the leather but it was used originally for horse tak so darkening the leather was of no consequence.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/20/13 09:43 PM
Hi All

I have had quite a few e-mails from people who live this side of the pond who know me all asking about the proportions of the Lanolin & Neatsfoot mixture I used to restore the gun case leather with. So for any body who would like to give it a try and knowing how much is charged for a small pot of leather food making it can save you a fortune.
I will not claim the mix is all my own work it was given to me by the now late John Bowen who was the head groom for one of the lesser royals here in Britland, who thought the best sporting day out besides shooting was a fast gallop over the Moors on a frosty morning on a spirited hunter.

4 Fluid ounces of Neetsfoot Oil
1 Fluid ounce of Cod Liver Oil
¼ Ounce Bees Wax
½ Ounce Lanolin
This part is not necessary for the formula but it does mask the smell of the Neetsfoot Oil add a number of drops of essential oil Orange Lavender or my preferred poison Bergamot

Heat the oils together just enough to melt the Bees Wax and Lanolin YOU MUST NOT LET IT BOIL other wise it will be ruined a double boiler really helps here. Best used on the leather slightly warm and rub in well, also it does darken the leather but it was used originally for horse tak so darkening the leather was of no consequence.
According to my "The Joy of Cooking"- Bergamot is NOT considered a poison, but an oil or possibly a spice derived from the pear-shaped citrus fruit itself. If memory serves, the late Judith Child often used it in her recipe for a ragout--Bon appetit!!
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/20/13 10:37 PM
Mr. Runs, are you quoting Joyce Kilmer in your sig line there? If so, that would be "..a poem as lovely as a tree. And, of course, just one set of quotation marks there at the end wink .
Posted By: damascus Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 01:59 AM
Tut tut mister fox Bergamot is used to flavour the tea you said you like Earl grey tea. Have you never been out in company and been asked ‘what’s your poison’? You must get out more! Also become a little more knowledgeable about that wonderful British beverage that you profess to take with cream Earl grey tea aficionados take it black no milk from a China cup poured from a sound earthenware teapot. I don’t believe you really drink it regularly and my reasoning for this is it tells you how the flavour of the Tea is obtained on every packet I was just testing. You’re just trying to be annoying without a true in-depth knowledge of the subject as we say here Grow up! This will be my last line of discussion with your good self unless you can produce the same skill with your hands as you do with your misguided intellect!
Posted By: GJZ Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 02:39 AM
Thank you for saying what needed to be said.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 07:10 AM
hello damascus,
super job with the case..a man of many talents!
with regards poster signed rwtf..in my early days on the board i was warned re his ignorance and dirt stirring and was advised to ignore. i can only pass on that message.
i have a feeling the poor chap may be ill but shall ignore nonetheless( there are enough plastic paddies and halfwits in this country without having to suffer them worldwide)
cheers
mrwmartin
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 01:25 PM
Tut tut mister fox Bergamot is used to flavour the tea you said you like Earl grey tea. Have you never been out in company and been asked ‘what’s your poison’? You must get out more! Also become a little more knowledgeable about that wonderful British beverage that you profess to take with cream Earl grey tea aficionados take it black no milk from a China cup poured from a sound earthenware teapot. I don’t believe you really drink it regularly and my reasoning for this is it tells you how the flavour of the Tea is obtained on every packet I was just testing. You’re just trying to be annoying without a true in-depth knowledge of the subject as we say here Grow up! This will be my last line of discussion with your good self unless you can produce the same skill with your hands as you do with your misguided intellect!
Well hell yes- like the old 1930's ballad- "Missed the Saturday night dance, heard they crowded the floor-- awfully lonely without you, don't get around much anymore- Never heard the phrase "What's your poison, so I'll have to plead ignorance on that bon mot- Socrates perhaps- wonder if he put cream (creme) in his cup of hemlock?? If I stated that I use cream in anything I might perchance imbibe, it sure as hell wouldn't be a cup of tea-- whether Lord Earl Grey or Lord Muckingfutch either--
I am a good self, and when I put my hands to: field stripping a M-1 Garand or running a TIG build-up pass on annealed AISI 4140 with 308-16ELC filler rod, you can bet your Limey arse I know what I am doing, and do it damn well- time after time- then my hands become as the late Vladimar Horowicz when he sat down on the stool in front of the Steinway Grand in Carnegie hall- bet folding money on that- And also like your fellow Countryman, Gough Thomas, my hands are also fluent with a Winchester Model 12 pumpgun- yee olde ergonomic, perchance? I have always wanted, as the late Nash Buckingham discussed a Limey crackshot coming over with his "bespoken" pair of side-by-sides to try his skill at flighting doves- go up against a Limey on either box or columbaire pigeons in a crosswind- He can take any side-by-side he wishes, I'll take my old M12 Tournament grade 30" full solid rib that was made in 1937 and we'll have a go-care to make a wager, Laddy buck??
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Mr. Runs, are you quoting Joyce Kilmer in your sig line there? If so, that would be "..a poem as lovely as a tree. And, of course, just one set of quotation marks there at the end wink .
You are right, and I shall correct same forthwith- but at least I didn't write- "beautifuler" as a friend once said when trying to remember that great poem he wrote in 1912- What a shame, he and Rudyard Kipling's son were both KIA in the "War to end ALL Wars"-- sorry about the "doppelganger" on the quote marks, my Dell keyboard typewriter thingy must have slipped a click or two--
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Forty five year case hunt over - 11/21/13 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr W martin
hello damascus,
super job with the case..a man of many talents!
with regards poster signed rwtf..in my early days on the board i was warned re his ignorance and dirt stirring and was advised to ignore. i can only pass on that message.
i have a feeling the poor chap may be ill but shall ignore nonetheless( there are enough plastic paddies and halfwits in this country without having to suffer them worldwide)
cheers
mrwmartin
You have some of my brother Micks in the land of single malts? At least that's what I assumed you may have meant with the "plastic paddies"--I am from a long line of bog-trottin' Green Irish Micks, and proud of it, but I have a special place in my nefarious black heart for the Scots- as both Northern Ireland today, and Scotland years ago, suffered the tyranny of the Brits--

I shall by-pass my usual nightcap, sipped whilst watchin' David Letterman of an evening, that being either George Dickel, Ezra Brooks-- Bourbon whiskey, or if I am "in the chips" John Jamieson Irish whiskey, and sip some of your Famous grouse whisky in your stead, if I may make so bold as to do so. Sure and ye must be favorably taken to have seen I spelled your Country's finest whisky without the extraneous "e", as we have done with our sour mash Bourbon whiskies here in the Colonies.

Another fine reason why I favor the Scots-and distain the Limeys, en re: proper spelling and economy of style- The Scots are well known for their thrifty ways, and huzzahs to that- so look how much they save on label printing by eliminating the letter "e" and spelling it as "whisky"-- Now the Limeys, they add an extra letter "O" to certain words, for what good reason I do not comprehend at all. Honour instead of honor, colour instead of color, and you go sense the drift here I am sure. Ta Ta!!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com