doublegunshop.com - home
I'm thinking about an extra barrel for that Boss I was telling Ya'll about.May be it is out of the question I did find out it cost about $18,000 for a new modern Damascus barrel to be made in England but I am curious about my options.
Monty
Monty,
There is an add in the back of the latest DGJ, the Blackers I believe. I think you will come in around 12K before shipping, maybe a bit more. Let us know what you find. I'm interested too.
Steve
Bill Blacker is THE man:

http://www.billblacker.co.uk/

He quoted me a price of £5500 in 2010. This was without shipping the gun over and back.

OWD
and Mr. Blacker is offering new damascus tubes!
"We are now offering brand new best quality Damascus barrels for 12 & 16 bore guns"
I believe Mr. Blacker is offering new Damascus barrels, using either Peter Dyson's Belgian tubes, or vintage tubes from a British souces. The images at the end of the Portfolio page show a Purdey with a blown out left tube with typical (I believe) 3 Iron English Best. The last image shows both of the new barrels to be well matched 3 Iron 'Oxford' or Damas Crolle similar to some of Dyson's tubes
http://www.billblacker.co.uk/portfolio.php

Vic Venters reported Greener's production of new guns with (old) Damascus tubes in Shooting Sportsman in 2007 and in 2008 said:
"They are indeed newly made damascus barrels, built on vintage tubes that David Dryhurst -- Greener's master gunmaker -- has been collecting since the '60s and '70s. Some are old Greener stock, some are English and no doubt some are Belgian. A few of these sets came from Dyson...They are not lined. The guns are being made in 28-ga up through 12, and maybe in 10-ga. At least 25 of these damascus-barreled guns are made or are under way, and I believe more have been ordered since I last asked. At the time of my writing, none had failed English proof. The guns are proofed under standard CIP pressures per the particular gauge."

The barrels are not Damasteel ala the Purdey effort in 2009.

Would most appreciate a report from one of our British correspondents!
I'm sure Mr. Blacker is very kind to his mother. However, his website give very little clue as to what he does and how much he charges. Most gunmakeres at least give a little hint. If my past experience is of any use, a contact by phone or email will result in "Send me your gun, I'll tell you how much.".
Greeners do indeed make new guns with extra Damascus barrels.As said,these barrels are mainly made from old English tubes that have been collected over many years.
For each gun the steel and damasus barrels are matched perfectly as would be expected on guns of the quality of modern W.W.Greener's.
They have made guns from 12 to 28 bore and recently a 32 bore.
It is a problem finding suitable tubes and even more of a problem finding ribs.
I machine the lumps,loops and extractor beds on these barrels so they are properly interchangable once jointed.
Greeners do not use Damasteel.Damasteel barrels have a completely different pattern on them to proper Damascus tubes.
Bill Blacker does NOT make the damascus barrels for W.W.Greener.
Monty, are you after new barrels or new damascus barrels?

Bill Blacker is a chap I have used many times and his work is second to none. There are several other barrel makers in England who also produce top end work, who I can also attest to through having used their services.

If you want a gun taken from the USA to the UK for re-barrelling, I can do that. Remember the bill for the actioning, blacking and finishing on top of the barrel making.
Its over there now I was thinking if it is not too costly I'll have an extra barrel. I'm thinking I'll shoot it like it is if I like it maybe get Small Bore to carry it back. Everythings costly and I know if they estimate it at 5 it will cost me 10.
I'd go with steel more than likely if I did.
If I were to get a new set of barrels today I would sure try to get them proofed for steel shot.
I have used Bill Blacker and Son for new barrels and sleeving, and to be honest, his fit and finish (striking, boring and balance) is the best there is compared to other barrel makers in England. He is entrusted by both H&H and Purdey to do the more 'complex' new barrel orders they receive. The price and timescale he quotes to do a job is accurate with no bull$hit inbetween so you know where you stand from the start of the job.
Will Bill Blacker make whatever you want in terms of chopper lump or dovetails with his steel barrels?
Is there anyone in the USA that can carry out making new barrels for older English SxS guns?
AS I recall from the prior thread, that Boss has a very thin place on one of the barrels. Get it sleeved and save some money over new barrels as well as a few fingers.
The new Purdey on the hoof
http://griffinhowe.com/sgmoreinfo.cfm?idno=10005&type=new

The barrels are 3 Iron, not 'English Best', but could be English or Belgian by appearance.
"The Damascus barrels are proofed for 2 3/4" modern smokeless loads."

1873 Purdey

is there anyone in the US rebarrelling SxS or is shipping to England the only option?
We are starting the process. I just took the first commission for re-barrelling a Jones under lever single barrel. On this project we will use a shoe lump just like the original barrel. Chopper lump and dovetail lumps on doubles will most likely be on offer in the near future, once we work out the details. The first one will be interesting as the owner wants to add an 8 bore rifle barrel to the smooth bore shotgun barrel.

that Purdey sure does look nice.
"... is shipping to England the only option?"

If you don't mind proof marks other than British, there are makers on the Old Continent that can do it.

With kind regards,
Jani
Like Steve I also make double barrel shotgun and rifle sets via the shoelump method. I can also make a Monoblock.
Originally Posted By: jeweler
Its over there now I was thinking if it is not too costly I'll have an extra barrel. I'm thinking I'll shoot it like it is if I like it maybe get Small Bore to carry it back. Everythings costly and I know if they estimate it at 5 it will cost me 10.
I'd go with steel more than likely if I did.

Best leave it "over there"...or you are fix'n to get burnt beyond repair.
Maybe "gunmaker" could give us a hint concerning who he is and how to contact him.
8bore, My name is Aaron Little. I work alongside Bailey Bradshaw building double rifles, shotguns, and single shot english rifles.

You can contact me here via PM, or email me at Michael08TDKatyahoo.com.
682-554-0044
I hope to have it in my hand in a week or two and see if I like how it shoots.I was reading one of Greener's books last night and he said a barrel never blows up near the muzzle which is the the only place it is thin.The rest is .025 or better previously nitro proff .Won't be my meat gun.
Never say never

Shotguns can blow up at the muzzle, but its usually due to an obstruction.

Drew
Was there and obstruction or do you know .To me it probably had mud or snow in it. My son had a similar experience rabbit hunting as a kid.
The shooter was using RSTs and had no idea what had happened until he saw the fracture. I have no infro regarding wall thickness.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com