doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 12:21 AM
have not heard much about them lately here. the cz brand guns were among the first marketed here. they have been around for a few years now. maybe some of you can share your experiences...you know, the good, the bad and the uglee...
Posted By: skeettx Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 12:46 AM
Why? Do you need one? No issues here, shoots well, shoot to
POA, inexpensive, no mechanical issues, some higher grades
are even nice to look at smile

http://www.huglu.com.tr/special-collection
http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?7634-Popular-Turkish-Shotgun-Manufacturers
Posted By: Roundsworth Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 01:44 AM
I have a new DeHaan SGrS in .410 for chasing the grouse this season. A few years ago, I had a DeHaan SO in .410 and was very pleased with it. No complaints from me!
Posted By: wannagohunting Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 09:06 PM
I really enjoy my CZ 28ga Bobwhite.
No problems with it.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 09:19 PM
DeHaan .410, 30".
What's not to love?

Posted By: James M Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 09:52 PM
I have always been impressed with just how nice the wood is on the Turkish guns.
Jim
Posted By: Pete Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 10:39 PM
In time they might be decent guns, but some I have seen were the worst crap I have ever seen in gundom. De Haan, I understand, had to make a lot of them right before sales. I have seen all kinds of broken parts, poor metal/poor hardening, etc. They have the same problem as the Spanish having the early imports suffering their quality on potential better quality coming later. One military guy came back with a new O/U he paid %150 for in Turkey...and he was taken. Caveat Emptor.
Posted By: steve white Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 11:53 PM
Some of the early "case color" which was almost certainly a chemical job, not the real heat treat seemed to rust from handling in a short time. The gun above looks very nice for the price and is doubtless a more durable finish. There will always be a market for a reasonably priced double gun, but you get what you pay for most of the time. I might personally lean toward a used gun in good shape for the dollar value. Steve
Posted By: steve white Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/29/13 11:54 PM
May be mis-interpreted...what I mean is another brand of used gun for the dollar value...
Posted By: Pete Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 07:00 PM
It is really amazing how many great deals there are out there. The Spanish guns like AYA 2/3 once Blue Booked for nothing but were excellent guns. Now, probably the best value out there are German guns. It is common to find a tight gun with great bores out there for $600. Most of these are 16 ga and boxlocks, but not always. Unlike some countries, there are no mediocre or under average German shotguns. If they have good barrels and are tight, you are getting a great deal.
Pete
Posted By: skeettx Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 08:50 PM
Pete, read you comments, Thanks
Have you ever owned a Turkish gun?
Thanks
Mike
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
DeHaan .410, 30".
What's not to love?

I have your DeHaan's twin in 28 Gauge. I don't have the skeleton plate on my Dehaan. Mine has the rubber pad with the hard rubber heel. I've owned, and have been shooting, it for five seasons. It a great little shotgun. I picked it up lightly used for a CZ price.

On Monday I plan on having out dove hunting.
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 10:32 PM
Aside from atrocious taste, Turkish guns share a key aspect with Spanish guns.

And both of them share it with a chromed up Cadillac Escalade:

They all lose 40% of their value as soon as you drive 'em off the lot. And it never comes back.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 10:39 PM
I have owned and used a Turkish-made 20 gauge S&W SxS for several years. It is quite similar to the "Cabela-Dickinson".
Nice gun, Zero problems!

gold40
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/30/13 10:46 PM
I have owned and used a Turkish-made 20 gauge S&W SxS for several years. It is quite similar to the "Cabela-Dickinson".
Nice gun, Zero problems!

Jerry
Posted By: ed good Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/31/13 01:38 AM
pete: zing fogel: ver essen u finden der 16 gaugen bang zoomer furn $600 z?
Posted By: skeettx Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 08/31/13 02:37 AM
ED smile You are a real hoot!!

Ja, und ich würde gerne Bilder von insgesamt $ 600 Deutsch Schrotflinte
(Yes, and I would love pictures of the $600 german shotgun)
Posted By: oskar Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/01/13 12:23 AM
I purchased a CZ-Bobwhite 20ga for duck hunting out here on the saltchuck and it works great. A bonus has been the Black crome finish on the barrel it is holding up much better to salt spray than blue steel. It has gotten a steady dose of 3" steel 3's and 4's. I live on the bay, within walking distance of the blind and I'm retired so it has seen quite a bit of use.

One thing nice about hunting tide water you don't have to get up early most of the time just be out there on the incoming tide when the ducks move into the flooded grass to feed.
Posted By: ed good Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/01/13 01:39 AM
sounds lik der aint no bad, ner no uglee...
Posted By: apachecadillac Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/01/13 05:15 PM
Wow, Oskar, I stand in awe of your arrangement. If you can walk from your house to your duck blind, and skip the dawn patrol, you've got your life set up in a way the rest of us can only envy.

On the general issues of Turkish double guns and inexpensive second hand guns, I guess I'd offer the following:

Among the good reasons to buy a second hand gun, the chance of a great deal on something you couldn't otherwise afford is perhaps the most dangerous. Anyone contemplating it would be well advised to go to the thread on this board called "On the Philosophy of Workmanship . . ." and follow the link to Mike Rowe's cry from the heart about the poor maintenance of and shoddy repairs on second hand guns that come into his shop. He also mentions the nasty little problem of unscrupulous sorts who cosmetically pretty a gun up just enough to mask the need to major (and expensive) work. So, caveat emptor and pick who you do business with carefully if you're looking at second hand guns.

As for Turkish doubles, I own two, both made by AKUS. One is a 20 ga. imported by Smith & Wesson as a 'Gold Elite.' The other is a 16 ga. that I bought at Cabela's as a 'Dickinson.' I'm very happy with both of them. The 20 ga. was built to a price point 50% higher than the 16 ga. and that shows. Since the first of the year I've shot a couple of thousand rounds through the 16 ga. with no problems. At 6 1/2 pounds it's a little light for sporting clays (odd comment to make about a Turkish gun), but next week I'll take it grouse hunting and I suspect I'll like the weight just fine out there. I'm not crazy about the name 'Dickinson' (sounds a little too much like 'Dickson' to my taste), but with people resurrecting the Joseph Manton name and venerable brands trading through bankruptcy or being slapped onto product extension lines (Purdy neckware, Holland & Holland barware, anyone? or is it the other way 'round?), I suppose I'm being fussy. Anyway, that's a bone to pick with the American importer, not the Turkish gun maker.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/01/13 06:56 PM
And now Webly & Scott's name is on the AKUS guns. They're importing their model 2000 to the U.S., list priced at $2500. Lots of dealers listed on their website.

Jay
Posted By: GaryW Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/05/13 05:49 PM
I've had this DeHaan S2 28 ga. for 6 years now with absolutely no problems mechanically. Screw heads are all timed, inletting is better than I've seen on much more expensive guns, and I shoot it as well or better than any other gun I have. An S2 410 with 30" barrels also goes to the dove fields. DeHaans guns are better quality than the Turkish CZ's and equal to Cabela's Dickinsons in my opinion.
Posted By: Davide Todd Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/06/13 12:29 PM
The newer CZ guns by Huglu are great shooters, durableback chromed finish chrome lined bores, hand;pe great and all mine tht a I owned shot where they were pointed.
I currently don't own one, but would pick another up in a heart beat if i had the opportunity!
I tend to buy and sell a lot of guns, so a common gun like the CZ or Yildiz does not last long, I flip them and buy another! grin
The only thing that bugs me about them are the swedged barrels for the chokes, I think they detract from the lines if the gun.
I have a hammer classic for a bit and shot some birds with it, great hammer double for the price, but when I found out Pedersoli was making a hammer 12 with browned barrels, well, the CZ got sent packing!! grin
Davide
Posted By: skeettx Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/07/13 09:06 PM
http://www.pedersoli.co.za/d31x709.html
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/08/13 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Pete
It is really amazing how many great deals there are out there. The Spanish guns like AYA 2/3 once Blue Booked for nothing but were excellent guns. Now, probably the best value out there are German guns. It is common to find a tight gun with great bores out there for $600. Most of these are 16 ga and boxlocks, but not always. Unlike some countries, there are no mediocre or under average German shotguns. If they have good barrels and are tight, you are getting a great deal.
Pete

True. Lets just think a minute a 25 pack of quality steel loads is about $15 while soft non-tox 25 pack is $100. We all know where the trend will be heading. You know, it's for our kids.
Posted By: King Brown Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/08/13 11:23 PM
Pete's "probably the best value" German guns caught my eye. I'm not looking (oh yeah), have an early 16ga Model VIII Sauer that lets me shoot better than I am, but I get around overseas and would like to know of other makers on which to cast an eye.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/09/13 12:11 AM
My nomination for "best buy" in a Turkish gun is this Yildiz. It has man sized dimensions which, combined with longer barrels and an alloy receiver, make for admirable handling characteristics.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/b27e.html

They are imported and sold by Academy Sports and all warranty work is done by Briley. Mine was a gift from a friend who knew I wanted a decent little .410 S x S for doves and quail. He paid $449 for it, on sale at $50 off regular price.

It had a heavy single selective trigger, which I reworked and lightened to about 3 1/2#. If you could see the quality work on the internals you would not believe it possible. Very polished parts on the trigger and hammers. It has performed flawlessly and has accounted for a limit of doves every time I have taken it to the field in the last three seasons. This was the most recent limit taken with it, yesterday afternoon.

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: TURKISH MADE DOUBLE GUNS - 09/09/13 12:34 AM
Here's an in depth review of the CZ Bobwhite in 20 and 28 gauge. After reading it, I bought the 28. Things have improved since the review was written in 2006; my 28's wood is better than described in the review. Trigger pull was atrocious, but I got that remedied by a local gunsmith. Weight is 5.36 lbs.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharptail/CZReview.pdf
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com