doublegunshop.com - home
This is an update to a thread I started back in May concerning a Boss shotgun that I was trying to import from the UK. Just search for Importing an English SxS ~ Auction ~ Help! on the forum and you will find it.

As of today (2 hrs ago) I have the gun in hand - NO IMPORT BROKER REQUIRED! and its not pre-1898. I completed form 6 using a local FFL's numbers and signature, received approval on the basis that FFLs (not importers) are allowed the occasional import of guns. The gun was shipped to Indianapolis via FedEX from Heathrow. I received a call this morning from the FedEx office. I took my approved form to the US Customs office along with a declaration form that came back with the form 6, they stamped it, I jumped in the car drove 3 miles to the FedEx office for International shipments, signed another form and went home with my gun. No Brokers, no stamping the barrels, not a lot of crap.

It was a 5 month process, it was taxing, shipping and insurance aren't cheap, I wished a couple of time I hadn't done it, but I did it and this is proof it can be done and its all legal and its your right to do the same.
So what did the total cost of the importation run?

Also, any pics of the new toy????

Thanks

Adam
How was the value of your Boss determined for purposes of taxation?
Thanks,
Jeff
I am surprised that you said no stamping of the barrels. If you look at the front of the form 6, you will see in red ATF stamp. It clearly says that the barrels must be stamped. On the back of the from 6A The green form that must be sent in after the gun clears customs, it clearly says that you have or will comply with stamping of the barrels in 15 days. By signing this the dealer is certifying that this has been done or will be done in 15 days. This is a federal law that if he does not do it, well you know

John Boyd
Quality Arms
John, is that a fairly recent change? I know that licensed importers have to stamp the barrels. However, the red stamp on my completed Form 6 says nothing about that. Only "not for resale", and that it is illegal to import a shotgun with a barrel under 18"; also limits magazine capacity, and it can't have a detachable folding shoulder stock.
Shipping and all import was $560. I will post pictures.
Nothing on my form about the stamp being required, maybe becasue I WAS NOT required to go through a broker....
I had a letter from the auction house providing the date the gun was manufactured. Because it was made in 1901 there were no customs fees (duties) owed.
A customs broker is a not a legal requirement for non-commercial importation. Customs requires commercial shipments over 3,000$ in value to be cleared by a broker. Under 3,000$ in value it is at the discretion of the local customs office whether or not to require the use of a broker. Your shipment, because you are not in the business of importation, is not a commercial shipment. I do importation for profit so therefore am required to use a broker, hence the additional costs involved.

I'm unsure as to the legal requirements regarding marking the barrels on a occasional import on an 01FFL as I have not gone that route before. It is most certainly required when imported through a licensed importer.

Glad to hear your gun made it here safely.
surprised it was not stamped. Anyway, look at the green form (6a)that you had to send it. #4 section III, item 5. It states that you are cerifiying that it either has been doen or that it will be done in 15 days.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
I brought in an A&D SxS from Italy a couple of months ago...in fact it's first stop after clearing customs was Mr. Bertram's shop for a clean & check, and a pair of new leaf springs.

It's a 1932 gun and I specifically went the "occasional FFL" route to avoid the stamping requirement. No worries whatsoever. If BATF had not lost the first paperwork submission it would have been a 4-month process.

(BTW Steve, the gun shoots great!!!)
SKB,
I am curious. Since you import guns can you also be your own broker?
Thanks,
Jeff
you would need to be licensed and bonded as such. I think it is involved enough that it would not be cost effective.
congrats!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com