doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nick. C the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 05:53 PM
Firstly, an apology for not posting a picture of what I'm about to mention, I don't want to fall foul of copyright law as what I saw was in a magazine and ever since I saw it, I've been speechless
It's the Boss 1812-2012 commemorative gun. On the underside of the action , there is an engraving by Mr. Phil Coggan of John Robertson stood in front of his vice, filing away, with a look of concentration on his face that is so lifelike I half expected the figure to come to life . It's that realistic. Behind him, the gun makers tools hang from racks, bathed in sunlight just like a well lit gunsmiths bench should be.
This has to be the single most spectacular piece of engravers art that I have ever seen. It is stunning !
I'm going to look if there are any pictures on the Internet that I can put a link to on here.
I don't usually get so taken by pretty things ( well, unless it's female ) but this really is something else.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 06:44 PM
If you Google 'Phil Coggan engraver, John Robertson' images. There's a picture of the underside of the gun. It's on engraving forum .com under the Boss bicentenary gun. I think you'll like it.
I cant work out how to post a link yet. The rest of his and his sons work is remarkable. A fellow Welshman too.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 07:09 PM
El Garro, is it Bulino style engraving?
Isn't that unusual on a Thomas Boss?
Posted By: Nick. C Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 07:34 PM
Hi Treblig, I'm not certain but is that dots like old newspaper pictures ? Forgive me if l've got it wrong though. On the engraving forum, he said its all lines and no dots.
I can't work out how to post a link yet, new phone, far too technical for me smile
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 07:55 PM
Hi El Garro, is that on a Boss over and under? I couldn't honestly tell from the pictures being that those Boss over and unders are so slender. They must be 'Magic' to hunt with and handle in the field.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 08:07 PM
Superb. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. That Coggan chap can really scratch! (Sorry, modern idiom!)
Posted By: Marc Ret Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 08:10 PM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll209/Philcog/BOTTOMDETAILforum_zpscf0221e1.jpg

Cheers,
Marcus
Posted By: Buzz Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 08:17 PM
Wow!!
Posted By: Nick. C Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 08:23 PM
Yes, it's an O/U . Called the 2012, comes with interchangeable 20 and 12 bore/gauge barrels. A bit out of my price range I'd bet though.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/02/13 08:26 PM
Thanks for the link Marcus. It's stunning isn't it. I found some more of his work on the net. It's all top class.
Posted By: SamW Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/03/13 12:40 AM
It is cut with very fine lines. Phil does not use dots.
Posted By: BPGuy Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/04/13 02:23 AM
Posted By: A10ACN Re: the Boss and Co commemorative gun - 07/06/13 12:29 PM
Lord.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com