doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good NEWER GUNS THAT HAVE APPRECIATED IN VALUE - 03/19/13 10:34 PM
this should be a fun exercise. can you name those sxs guns made since, say 1965, that have appreciated in value?

some that come to mine are: the browning bss, skb sxs's, parker repros and the beretta silver hawk...

any others?
No.
JR
Winchester 23s. Especially the Classic and Golden Quail series, and the Heavy and Light Ducks.
Parker Reproductions
I agree with the two posts above and would add Ithaca SKBs particularly in 20 gauge.
Jim
Purdey, Boss, H&H
Have the guns that appreciated guns kept pace with inflation?

OWD
Posted By: GaryW Re: NEWER GUNS THAT HAVE APPRECIATED IN VALUE - 03/20/13 12:33 AM
Just about anything in 16, 28, or .410
Originally Posted By: tudurgs
Purdey, Boss, H&H

If bought new....no they haven't/don't.
Posted By: Rebel Re: NEWER GUNS THAT HAVE APPRECIATED IN VALUE - 03/20/13 02:09 PM
Hunter Arms Hunter Specials-especially in 20 gauge and 410
Browning BSS for sure especially English stocked 20's.
I do not believe that guns are truly an investment vehicle. Almost all the profit made in gun transactions are made on the purchase (low price because of motivated or ignorant seller).

I long ago gave up on the idea that I could buy and sell profitably. I am unwilling to take advantage of people on the purchase or overstating the value on the sale.

As for whether a gun can be brought that will apreciate at a greater rate than inflation, or at the rate of inflation, I believe the only answer might be the introductory prices CSMC has given if all discounts apply. An RBL could be a canidate for a value or an Inverness 20ga OU. That said you had to lay out some money on earlier guns from them to be eligiable and that would probably eat your margins
LeFusil - Do you think that a best gun bought new 48 years ago can't be sold for more than the purchase price back then? I don't have a price list in front of me, but I'd take that bet
reb: bear in mind that hunter arms guns were made prior to ww2. and like most pre war guns they have gone up in value since the mid 60's.
old col: what you say is true. sxs guns are generally not good investments. and certainly not in the class as the collectible Colts and Winchesters.
All guns,in general, have gone up in price over the years and this of course is primarily due to inflation and the shrinking buying power of the dollar. The key here is to identify guns that have gone up in value. In other words do they command more now than if inflation was the only factor driving up the price?
Hence my example of the Ithaca SKBs which are well built guns and produced in Japan at extremely attractive prices back in the 1970s. They have stood the test of time and bring more today than inflation would solely warrant.
Jim
That's true Ed!! Because it sure would be nice to have an original Colt Paterson revolver sitting in my closet!!
58: unfortunately, the Paterson is not a good investment these days, if you are looking for short term appreciation. they peaked several years ago and hence have no where to go. a good Paterson is six figures...and very risky, with too many eggs in one basket. plus there are a lot of well done fakes out there...better to pass on the Paterson and put the money into several other colts and winchesters that are still on the rise...such as 1911's; but even they are starting to level off.
The market for older Colt revolvers has been flat for several years now. I see the same dealers with the same Colt percussion and SAAs at gun show after gun show. What has gone up in value/price recently that I've noticed are Colts in two different categories:

1. Older Colt autos: Prices have risen across the board especially for those examples in very good to excellent condition. This is not just confined to 45 autos but has affected other models like 1903s as well.

2. Out of production newer Colt DA revolvers. I think everyone came to the realization that Pythons,Diamondbacks,Cobras etc. were out of production for good. There's no way Colt could begin producing these models again with the hand finishing required and be able to market them at an affordable price.

Anyway that's my take.
Jim
Yup, a lot of old Colts on Julia's no sale list.
Ruger Gold Label
Beretta 626 Onyx
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com