doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chuck H 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 04:22 AM
I'm tossing around the idea of molesting my 28" 28ga Repro barrels. They're .034/.012 now. The only use I could imagine for them is some high pass shooting dove and maybe some South Dakota blocking of roosters.

I'm thinking maybe .020/.006 would make it an ok quail gun and still be able to block some roosters in SD and just make it a better all around gun.

Whaddya think?
Posted By: eightbore Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 05:05 AM
Are those Repro barrels plated like some say they are? I don't like to cut through plating so I bought a two barrel set. You can get a fortune for a 28" single barrel set. Sell it and buy a 26" gun with Q1 and Q2 barrels. My 28 gauge Arrizabalaga left barrel is choked .039, so the Repro barrels are not so bad in comparison. I don't know how the shot gets out.
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 06:22 AM
CHuck,
If Wild Pheasants are on the menu I wouldn't alter it. My best luck has always been tight chokes for those wild birds.

I installed brileys in my very nice (but retored) 12 ga 28" specialty grade just so I could use it more effectively on wild birds in SD.

I shoot several 28 ga alot at clay targets and with clays, the open chokes are okay, but for hunting I feel the tighter chokes are more effective.

just my opinion of course.

Jerry
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 11:23 AM
Chuck,

Could you get ahold of some spreaders for it? I don't know of anyone who loads them for a 28 right off, but if not some reloads would open it up some.

I opened the chokes on my MX-8, which has chromed bores, and there has been no problems in several years but, like Bill, I am still skeptical of it.

SRH
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 12:11 PM
Chuck my 28ga Repro is choked .040" and .020"

I concluded after patterning 28 gauges with three guns (SKB SxS with screw-ins, Franchi AL48 with screws, another Parker Repro Q1/Q1) was that chokes tighter than 15/1000th don't tighten the pattern. So I would leave your left choke alone and open the right to anywhere from cylinder to 10/1000th. Then you can hit close and far.

When I first started coming here someone posted that the Repros were regulated at the factory by adjusting the chokes. I don't remember who it was and I don't know if it is true. By regulated I mean making both barrels shoot to the same point. But if it is true and you run a piloted reamer up through the breech and open a choke you might change the regulation.

I shot decoyed doves with mine this Fall and it was a blast. Have taken it to hunt wild Bobs a few times and managed to hit some with it. Mine is straight grip, double trigger, with splinter forend and 28" barrels and it weighs 5lbs-5oz. I like it a lot.

If you open the chokes I would like to hear the results. I would like to open the right barrel of mine.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Chuck H Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. More to think about. If I found some extra barrels, I'd open them to .015/.000 for quail.

Right now, I gotta get going. Leaving for a put-n-take in half an hour. The owner is overstocked and he likes us. 2-fers today. We should have like 100 birds out for us. My two dogs and a good rental GSP for our 5 man group.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 12:33 PM
Wish I was going with y'all.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 28ga chokes - 02/23/13 02:21 PM
I'm having my 28" Repro 28ga barrels opened now. Did it once before, had them opened to 005/010. Main use for mine will be grouse and woodcock. However, I took that previous Repro on a preserve pheasant hunt, loaded up some 3/4 oz 7's just to see how they'd work. After missing the first bird, I ran 27 straight over the next 2 days. A couple required a 2nd barrel, but there were also a couple true doubles. That being said, I'd be very hesitant about using a 28ga on wild roosters unless I were willing to be very selective about my shots. Or maybe unless patterning showed me that 1 oz loads would work better than I think they do in a 28ga.

Chokes on both the 12ga and 20ga Repros seem pretty typical for what they're marked. Not sure why the Japanese choked the 28's like they were 12's.
Posted By: Tyler Re: 28ga chokes - 02/24/13 02:07 AM
The day I got the flyer about the $1999 close out I called all three dealers before I found one with 28" barrels, straight grip and double triggers. Had it restocked by a friend in Mobile, al with a longer piece of French walnut. I then sent the barrels to Mike Orlen and had them opened to improved cylinder and improved mod and had the forcing cones extended. I had it set that way for doves but it also does well on quail. I have been well pleased with my decisions. I still have the original stock and fore end if my children decide to sell it but I hope to be long gone if and when that happens.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: 28ga chokes - 02/24/13 02:23 AM
Chuck, why don't you decide what you want in the way of a pattern, test what you have, and then start adjusting a bit at a time. I'd also recommend the use of Dr. Jones's "Insights" program as by far the best way to analyze patterns. BTW, it does take ten patterns averaged to properly understand your barrel-load. There is just too much variability in shotgun patterns to do with fewer than ten.

DDA
Posted By: Replacement Re: 28ga chokes - 02/24/13 03:23 AM
I'd leave the Repro alone and just buy another 28 to mess with. I typically shoot doves with a Miroku 28ga with 30" barrels and M/F tubes in it. Works quite well, but I have not mic'd the tubes. As nice as my Repro is, it stays home because the Miroku works so well.
Posted By: Randall Re: 28ga chokes - 02/24/13 04:55 AM
I'd suggest leaving the .012 as is, but open the .034 to around .016 or so.

My favorite 28 has 28" barrels choked .016/.016. If I'm doing my part, it works well w/ 5/8 or 3/4 oz RST loads on both dove & quail.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com