doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JK in Florida RBL refund - 02/20/07 07:18 PM
Howdy folks. Has anyone out there asked for a refund on their never-delivered RBL? Did you get a refund, or a refund with interest? I'm sure CSMC is doing the best they can, but I paid in full and waited a year and a half...
Posted By: improved modified Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 07:59 PM
Got a refund in 3 days.
Posted By: Brad6260 Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 08:29 PM
JK,

Last week I decided enough is enough and called Carol at CSMC and asked that my deposit money placed Sept. of "05" be refunded.

I got the impression that delivery of my RBL could easily exceed another six months.
She was very pleasant and told me I would see the refund within a few days.

I have guns to derive enjoyment from them so I finally decided that even if the gun eventually arrived and was good quality it would always represent something other than the pleasure I expect from owning a gun.

Best of luck with your quest.

Brad
Posted By: Grouse Doc Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 08:39 PM
JK,
Your use of the term "never-received" has a very different connotation than "not-yet-received". Stop whinning and cancel your order if you're not willing to wait any longer. You knew it would be a wait for this particular gun. From what I have see, it appears worth the wait. Nonetheless, I've listened to way too many cry-babies over the past few months lamenting how long it has taken to get this gun to have much sympathy for you. Just do it. Tony isn't going to cheat you!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 09:03 PM
JK,
I asked for my deposit back about a month or so ago. It came in a couple weeks. They refunded an extra $43 and change. Must have been what they computed as interest. They didn't have to do that, but it was a nice gesture.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 09:13 PM
Grouse Doc, I didn't get the impression that Brad was whinning, just making a comment. With only one post on this board I would think you would like to establish yourself as a man, who is pleasant to correspond with. Of course, it's your decision as to how you are preceived. Ken
Posted By: ViniferaVizslas Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 09:16 PM
I think if you ask for a refund the gun becomes a "never-delivered RBL". I'm waiting. It doesn't bother me. I don't really think of it save when I'm on one of these gun sites.
Posted By: Dave M. Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 09:58 PM
I don't think Brad or JK in Florida are whinning.
But I agree with Grouse Doc. If you want your money back, call Carol and get it. I think the only reason JK posted was so people would talk him out of it. He wants to be reassured that waiting is the right thing to do. If I wanted to get my money back, I'd call and ask for it. Just like Brad did.
Brad, How come you didn't check with me before getting your refund. :-)
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 10:51 PM
Grouse Doc, has been a long time lurker, and has had it with this shoddy RBL stuff.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: RBL refund - 02/20/07 11:31 PM
I have three on order and will wait. Now if three other guns came along with what I could compare as simular value then I might change my mind. But I ordered them so that my sons and I could each have one to enjoy. I am a patient man, but like most could find other interest before they ever get delivered. If I thought that there was any problem I would request my money but I am not worried. Just tired of waiting like all the rest.

In fact I would like to see what they have in mind to bring out after the RBL. Maybe a double for sproting clays. Might have to transfeer that money into the next RBL type offering and start waiting again.
Posted By: twopiper Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 12:04 AM
Guys, check out Todds post on shooting sportsman board in the general section.
Posted By: Judge Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 12:20 AM
GrouseDoc: JK asked a fair question and you slammed him for no apparent reason. Yes, you can go on why he should have more patience, but he was not "whining".
Posted By: Ray Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 01:05 AM
Judge, I agree with you. The man asked a question nicely, and got slammed. JK's question was directed to persons who requested a refund. The people who have asked for a refund are able to answer his question, those who have not, can't.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 01:33 AM
Sounds like the line is getting a few guns shorter.
bill
Posted By: jerry6stl Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 01:35 AM

It just so happened that I talked to Carol today about my RBL delivery.

My order date is 12-05 and she opined that I would likely receive it sometime this April. Just maybe, I might have it time for FLATWATER. She said they are delivering 11-05 orders now.

I can wait....

JERRY
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Grouse Doc, has been a long time lurker, and has had it with this shoddy RBL stuff.

C'mon Lowell, even you know were the on/off button on the computer is, and this thread isn't exactly a "pop-up" on every member's computer.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 02:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Grouse Doc
JK,
Your use of the term "never-received" has a very different connotation than "not-yet-received". Stop whinning and cancel your order if you're not willing to wait any longer. You knew it would be a wait for this particular gun. From what I have see, it appears worth the wait. Nonetheless, I've listened to way too many cry-babies over the past few months lamenting how long it has taken to get this gun to have much sympathy for you. Just do it. Tony isn't going to cheat you!

Wow, that was harsh. More fiber in your diet maybe?
Posted By: QTRHRS Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 03:10 AM
JK,

I certainly understand your getting tired of the wait but before you cancel, I would caution you that mine came today and IMHO it was worth the wait.
Posted By: JK in Florida Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 02:13 PM
Thanks, folks. Sure appreciate your input and perspective. Like I mentioned in my first post, I'm sure CSMC is doing the best they can--and from what I've read on this board, they're making a lot of happy customers. I requested my refund last week (order paid in full 10-5-05), but not because I was worried about getting cheated. Thanks again.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 04:01 PM
I wanted one, I had the money about twenty or thirty times since the gun was first advertised. If I had that money as "extra money" that I would never need or use, I would have sent it in and forgotten about the order until UPS knocked on the door. I notice that some call monthly to check on the progress of their gun. They obviously are in the same boat I am; it was not "extra money". They should have done what I did. I spent it somewhere else. I still want one. Maybe Tony will help me out.
Posted By: dogon Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 04:22 PM
JK, You probably did what was best for you. I was very frustrated with the delivery process myself and thought about cancelling and getting a refund.

I now have my RBL and I'm glad I stuck it out. What I now have is a very nice all American made 20ga SxS that IMO is a great value for the price paid.

All I can say for those that have RBL's ordered,stick it out, more than like'ly you'll be glad you did. We all knew that there would be a waiting period when we ordered.
Posted By: Halvey Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 04:54 PM
Seems to me you are getting a pretty nice gun for the money. So you wait. Big deal.

I suppose you could always go out and get a new American SxS though at your local Cabela's.
Posted By: Kosinar Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 05:33 PM
I ordered December 29, 06 and I am ready for waiting. No problem with that. I am just little disapointed that I still do not have any confirmation that I ordered the gun. I do not have order number or receipt for 3,475 i paid for it. I understand that manufacturing of the gun takes time but this should not be a problem. I called 3 times with question about order number or receipt and I was told that they are little behind. Did you guys received anyting in form of order number or order confirmation? I hate to be a pest and keep calling them but I am concerned that I have nothing as proof of placing the order.
Posted By: GD Yankee Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 08:42 PM
I sent them a request to change my order to a straight grip and they sent me a copy of my invoice. I ordered mine Dec '06 and haven't heard a word from them since I requested the change. Still hanging in there.

Dave
Posted By: dogon Re: RBL refund - 02/21/07 09:04 PM
I did get an invoice with-in two weeks after my initial order. I did two changes and both times I recieved new invoices from CSMC.
Posted By: Woody Wilson Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 02:42 AM
Cancelled my RBL last month because I got terminally tired of the lies. I received my refund in four days sans any interest. Fact is, she laughed when I mentioned interest. I ordered my gun PIF on 11.12.05 and was told I would receive it in the summer. Then, they told me it would ship in the fall. In the fall they said before Xmas. After Xmas they said the first of the year. In February they said "spring", which probably meant May. That was enough for me. I salivated for over a year waiting for this "Messiah" gun and finally pulled the plug, not because I didn't want to wait, but because this company was treating me like excrement. It had nothing to do with patience. I thought CSM's arrogance was astounding, and these Galazan cheerleaders who berate us for "whining" and cancelling on principle miss the point entirely. Customer service is a rare, if not extinct, commodity in the US. The attitude of CSM was "who cares if you cancel, there's another buyer waiting in que to replace you". I will never give my business to CSM again because I think they never appreciated my hard-earned $3,100 start with. I was supposed to feel privileged to stand in line for 14 months to buy one of Tony's guns...that's BS! He asked for payment in full, which he got. The least we could expect for our money (investment, actually) was a straight answer. I'm happy for those who stuck it out and got a dividend for their patience. But for some us, standing in line to be treated like anonymous suckers, was simply too demeaning.
Posted By: Randall Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 03:10 AM
FYI - Griffin and Howe has one:

http://www.griffinhowe.com/

then click 'Gun Room' then 'Used Gun List'

and scroll to

Connecticut Shotgun Mfg. Co. - RBL

$3850
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 08:06 AM
I have nothing against CSMC or Tony.....I was always treated very well in my communications with them. I guess it just takes more to satisy some people. I cancelled mine but it was just because I'd lost interest and moved on to other projects. I may even buy a used RBL someday......I think the one above is a bargin and its instant gratification!!
Posted By: eightbore Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 12:10 PM
The Griffin and Howe gun is a pretty nice one with some degree of upgraded wood, scratch on the cheek it looks like. However, it is the poster gun for the case color option. A case color gun could be used in the field for thirty years and still look better than this gun. I guess it's all "what you like".
Posted By: max Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 01:26 PM

eightbore, I agree, the engraving kills it for me on the G & H RBL. Apparently, the original owner lost interest in the gun in short order.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 01:30 PM
Nothing a flat bastard and some Gunline tools couldn't fix. Shame that's what it'd take on a $4k gun. That was where I was with my order, $4k. I had a dilemma. I'd seen some poor examples and didn't want to roll the dice. Obviously the quality varied enough to have some good ones and some not so good ones. IMO, Tony didn't know some of the bad ones got out. The pressure to get guns out pushed his company to release lower quality beyond what he would have allowed personally. I cancelled.
Posted By: Hansli Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 02:42 PM
I have to admit I've never really understood the whole thing. Any of it.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
IMO, Tony didn't know some of the bad ones got out. The pressure to get guns out pushed his company to release lower quality beyond what he would have allowed personally. I cancelled.

Chuck - Your comment above seems generous in appraising Tony Galazan's intentions and damning of his management skills. How CSMC responds to pressure to get guns out is his responsibility, as is the quality of the guns shipped. If he didn't personally approve shipment of visibly questionable quality guns he did a poor job conveying his quality expectations to his team.

Me, I'm still patiently waiting for the dice to roll.

Jay
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 06:00 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11657

Another for those tired of waiting.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: RBL refund - 02/27/07 06:03 PM
I just looked at the G&H gun...wow. The engraving on and around the breech balls looks unfinished. Compare those pics to the ones in the original launch brochure on the CSMC site, and how can you reconcile the difference?

Funny, the absolute showstopper for me...the reason I didn't consider buying one for even a minute...was the stock dimensions. Weren't they originally advertised with the "average Joe" specs of 1 1/2 x 2 3/8" ? Too low for me, and while I restock all my guns, buying one and doing it would have erased any "bargain." I figured I could buy one used someday and have the right amount in it when I restocked.

The G&H ad shows

Drop @ comb: 1 3/8 "
Drop @ heel: 2 1/8 "

Those specs are perfect for me. Are any of them coming through this high, or is that a mistake? The difference between those 2 sets of numbers is the difference between shootable/non-shootable for me.
Posted By: homer Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 02:09 PM
Oh No! If mine comes in with fences like that its going straight back!! That lil squiggle is hideous.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 03:04 PM
Anyone else think the Cabalas rbl lacks in figure for supposedly "exhibition" wood?
Posted By: ViniferaVizslas Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 03:49 PM
The G&H gun is definitely an early one. Before they got the engraving right. It looks nothing like current production guns. The screws on the current guns match the rest of the pattern. Guns like that were why I changed to CC, then I changed back. I would have returned that gun with a nasty note.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 05:37 PM
I still want one. Do you think Tony will put me on the list?
Posted By: builder Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 05:40 PM
I he is making money, considering the number of cancelltions, I wouldimagine he would. Or you can buy one from the number of people selling theirs and have some control over what the wood will look like.
Posted By: Tom28ga Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 07:11 PM
I ordered my gun in late Nov., 2005 and PIF. Yes, its been a long wait, but, I waited 2yrs. for my first Ithaca Classic Double. It was well worth it and I have every confidence that history will repeat itself.
My RBL is in production and I expect a March delivery. Once your order hits the floor, it takes between 4-8 weeks to complete.
I have never seen a startup production process that hasn't had some glitches along the way. Early estimates on delivery are seldom, if ever correct or even close for that matter. Those who expected otherwise were deceiving themselves.
I do agree that CSMC should have been more forthcoming with production information and given better estimates when they became available.
Buying a gun of this value for the asking price was a "no brainer" for me and the wait, although substantial, was built into the equation...or should have been.
Posted By: Stever Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 08:09 PM
I ordered mine late in December 05, but got a January 06 date on my invoice...Hoping for an April, but probably not before May delivery. I ordered my RBL as I got "double fever" and ordered it with the beavertail forend, straight stock, single trigger and French Gray. The months of waiting were expected and I have - I think anyway, "matured" a bit in my views on SxS's as I read the forums. I decided to purchase an inexpensive SxS with double triggers (ostensibly, my "rainy day pheasant gun") to learn whether I could use them, like them, etc. BTW, I have really enjoyed shooting the little DeHaan 12 ga SO. It is a pretty nice little gun, actually. Anyway, my order has changed three times due to this maturation: I now have on order a straight stock, splinter forearm, case colored, double triggers RBL. Quite different from my initial order! I am glad I had to wait a bit, but I am ready NOW for my RBL! Still glad I ordered it, but wish it were here!
Posted By: Stever Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 08:10 PM
Oh, darn, forgot to mention I "upped" my wood choice from basic 2X to 3X in hopes of insuring at least some figure!
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 09:54 PM
Forget about the gun delivery.......how long does it take them to reply to an e-mail?
Posted By: BPGuy Re: RBL refund - 02/28/07 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: JK in Florida
Howdy folks. Has anyone out there asked for a refund on their never-delivered RBL? Did you get a refund, or a refund with interest? I'm sure CSMC is doing the best they can, but I paid in full and waited a year and a half...

Yes. I cancelled mine in early November '06. I didn't hear anything for about a week, so I contacted them again. Within about 2-3 days after the 2nd contact, I received a credit on my credit card for the full amount plus a little interest (I didn't do the math to find out exactly how much it was).

I cancelled because I was tired of CSMC's refusal to communicate anything (estimated delivery date, how many guns they're producing per week/month, how many orders in front of mine, etc.); I had the chance to inspect one in person, and the engraving was MUCH lower quality than they'd shown in their ads (VERY disappointing); I was tired of waiting; I had the opportunity to buy another gun with a better warranty, hand engraving and better wood, and still put a few $$ back into my pocket.

Do I like the RBL, and would I like to have one? Yes. Do I regret cancelling? Not for a second. Should you cancel? Only you can decide.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com