doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Researcher BO WOOP???? - 12/22/12 11:46 PM
What is up with this? Just got my 2013 CSMC calender in the mail today. The gun pictured for August 2013 is an "RBL BO-WOOP, HEAVY WEIGHT, WATERFALL SPECIAL ORDER GUN." It has a straight grip and has stock cheeks that are checkered and is engraved sorta like an XE-Grade Ansley H. Fox. It is not just a typo in the text, the gun is actually marked BO WOOP on both sides of the receiver!!!
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/22/12 11:53 PM
I saw that. I guess they decided to cash in on the "AH Fox Gun Company" and the Nash Buckingham connection and the Bo Woop cache. Seems kind of like heresy.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/22/12 11:58 PM
Dave,

Is it actually misspelled like that? Bo Woop instead of Bo Whoop? and Waterfall instead of Waterfowl?

I don't get it. Why the RBL, why not just build a replica of 31088 in the Fox gun?

SRH
Posted By: mike campbell Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 12:18 AM
I kinda like the joke, myself.
Posted By: Researcher Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 12:27 AM
Maybe I got a rare and collectable mint mistake calander!! But, that is how it is BO-WOOP and WATERFALL.
Posted By: tw Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 12:32 AM
Spell chequers can do that to ya. I'd say you have a classic way to do the coming year, a waterfall for sure .. and collectable. Hahaha;-)
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
Maybe I got a rare and collectable mint mistake calander!! But, that is how it is BO-WOOP and WATERFALL.

Unbelievable. Must be a joke.

SRH
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 01:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Dave,

Is it actually misspelled like that? Bo Woop instead of Bo Whoop? and Waterfall instead of Waterfowl?

I don't get it. Why the RBL, why not just build a replica of 31088 in the Fox gun?

SRH
"Aaah waterfall, Aaaah waterfall, and now to appropraite the numbah" Lawrence Welk--
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 01:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher

Unbelievable. Must be a joke.

SRH
Or else time for "Makin' Whoopie"--
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Dave,

SRH
"Aaah waterfall, Aaaah waterfall, and now to appropraite the numbah" Lawrence Welk--

Did you get into Granny Welk's Cheritol Foxy? grin
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 05:37 AM
The guy that built my CSMC 21 & a couple of others I know about has probably moved over to doing their calendars.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 07:25 AM
I want to see the picture!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 11:43 AM
Me, too!

SRH
Posted By: Silvers Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 12:40 PM
Here's a RBL Bo Whoop type gun (not the one on the calendar).

Special ordered 12 gauge, 32-inch, straight grip to hard buttplate, double triggers, "thick wrist" and longer comb on the buttstock than typical for 12 ga RBL's. Has the same wrist circumference and comb nose profile as done occasionally on original A H Fox straight grip guns. This RBL weighs 8-4 just as ordered. Stock is darker than shown in this sunlighted pic. Silvers

Posted By: L. Brown Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 01:06 PM
You could call that grip "Hillary's ankle". smile
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
You could call that grip "Hillary's ankle". smile
I suppose you could, but why?
Posted By: Franchi Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 01:40 PM
Larry:

That was great! Lol

Bill can now say,"My baby got back." To some others, he could say, "Junk in the trunk!?

In any case, she has grown into a lot of woman!

Stay well,

Franchi
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/23/12 02:08 PM
I like the "Hillary's ankle" quip. You can't blame Bill for taking an occasional trip off of the reservation.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/24/12 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
I like the "Hillary's ankle" quip. You can't blame Bill for taking an occasional trip off of the reservation.

As I recall, there were a few political folks who tried to blame ol' Bill pretty harshly.
Posted By: GF1 Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/24/12 06:25 PM
Or Royal British Leg (RBL)...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/24/12 06:58 PM
Frank,
How long are the chambers in "the beast"?
Posted By: Silvers Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/24/12 07:26 PM
Chuck, chambers are 3-inch and the gun is made to shoot steel and/or any other known non-tox. This RBL is a go-to gun for waterfowling when limited to 5 kilos of bismuth or Nice shotshells (airline restriction). Get off the plane and buy whatever's in stock at the nearest sport shop. Actually she's not a beast at all. 8-4 is quite light as compared to most Super-Fox waterfowlers... most are way heavier than that.

For a couple of gents who emailed that they've never heard of a "thick wrist" A H Fox, here's an original 12 ga straight-grip early XE Grade that's got the special thick wrist and heavier comb. Shipped in 1918. The RBL was ordered to be comparable. Frank

Posted By: Virginian Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/24/12 09:16 PM
Silvers,
I REALLY admire your taste. Two very nice guns you have there. Even if I did love the "Hillary's ankle" joke too.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/25/12 04:15 AM
We called 'em cankles, calf sized ankles.
Posted By: eightbore Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/25/12 02:39 PM
Frank, Tony made at least one heavy 12 gauge RBL with a high solid rib. Would your gun be one of those?
Posted By: Silvers Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/25/12 06:11 PM
Bill, no this RBL doesn't have a high rib. My understanding is that it's one of two made with that special stock. The other one was ordered by a fellow Fox comrade.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/26/12 02:49 PM
A 1918 Fox, of course, would have been made before the appearance of the Super Fox. A bit hard to tell from the photos in McIntosh's book, and while he stresses that the Supers were heavy guns, he doesn't mention that they all had overly thick wrists. They wouldn't look or feel right with a very thin wrist, but it would be interesting to measure some and compare to the above XE and RBL.
Posted By: Silvers Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/26/12 06:02 PM
Less than 7% of 12 gauge Super-Foxes were made with straight grips, and of those, the number ordered with the thick wrist feature is unknown.... probably no more than a very very few. The RBL referenced here was ordered with a buttstock to be comparable with the 1918 XE, not to be comparable with a typical 12 ga straight grip Super-Fox (which has a wrist circumference about 7/16" less than this unusual XE Grade Fox gun). JFI to readers, McIntosh is only one reference on these guns, the Fox Collectors Association has much current information on them available to members. Frank Silvers

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/index.html

Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/26/12 06:14 PM
"Roger That" on the information available from hard-core Foxists like Silvers and other members of the AH Fox Collectors Association! While I love reading the prose of McIntosh, even it he were still with us, I'd go to Silvers and his Fox friends for the most accurate information.

While I am extolling the merits of the AHFCA, let me finish by reporting that its annual membership fee includes one free (order?) card look-up with a photocopy of that card emailed to the requester. The information on the card is comparable to that which would be included in a Parker Association letter. Being a Fox Association member is a great deal!

PS: I am a member of the Fox Association and Parker Gun Collectors Association. Both are great groups of like minded gun collectors, shooters, and hunters.
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/26/12 06:18 PM
I own the second 32" RBL straight grip (RBL Super Fox)Franks refers to above, the wrist on mine measures 4 7/8" and my Super Foxes measure 4 5/8".
My gun also weights 8lbs 4oz with one 4oz weight in the CSMC system removed, my 32" Super weights 8lbs 9oz The RBL barrels weigh 4lbs 2oz, the Super weights 4lbs 6oz. The RBL has a higher MOI (more weight out at the end of the barrels due to the screw in chokes in my opinion). If I could have had my way I would have made the wrist thinner and eliminated the screw in chokes, the gun would have handled better in my opinion.

That being said it is my go to duck gun, I have shot it for three years and killed a boat load of ducks and geese. I use the gun for sporting clays and have 5000 rounds through it to date.
I am trying my best to wear it out!
Posted By: HighWall Re: BO WOOP???? - 12/26/12 10:10 PM
Might be shaped like a Super Fox outside. Seems to me though, that the heart and soul of Bo Whoop, is what was done INSIDE the barrels. Too bad that is not replicated.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com