doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doverham AA Brown Premium - 09/11/12 07:37 PM
I am looking for a pigeon gun for SCs and occasional waterfowling. I came across this Gallyon - 30" barrels choked F/F with 3" chambers, recent 1.75 oz (not a typo) proofs, 7.75 lbs, flat rib, third lockup, flat stock. Made in 1951, it appears to be in great shape and was owned by a well-known UK field writer (relevant to me only because it suggests the gun was likely well cared for). The gun is exactly what I am looking for - a well-built, no-nonsense gun that costs about the same as a new RBL 12, can be used at the range and in a blind without undue concern, and can digest modern waterfowl loads.

Here is the question - the seller (a "brand name" UK dealer) tells me that the action bears an AA Brown stamp indicating that the gun was made by them. This is plausible because I have come across at least a couple of similar AA Brown boxlocks. However, the gun is priced at a premium over comparable B'ham boxlock pigeon guns that I have been looking at (though none had proofs over 1 1/4 oz, which is a big benefit when trying to find nontox waterfowl loads). Assuming this gun was in fact made by AA Brown, is that alone worth paying a premium for?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/11/12 07:53 PM
In my opinion the maker is not worth paying a premium for the shotgun. After all, it remains a basic Birmingham made box lock. I would certainly be willing to pay a premium for condition though.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/11/12 09:15 PM
That is a $2000 gun, tops. Very plain. I would not give a dime over $1500 for it. Be careful.
JR
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/11/12 09:35 PM
I agree with John.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 12:38 AM
I don't have a clue as to the guns value.

That said most dealers, especially UK, that can prove a gun was made by A.A. Brown will ask more just because of that. A.A. Brown is a storied name in Birmingham gun making business, noted for exceptional workmanship.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 01:32 AM
Thank you for your responses. The suggested value equates to a W&S 700 - which has a bit more engraving but no third fastener or heavy proofs.

The handful of B'ham boxlock pigeon guns that I have seen for sale in the US are in the $2.5-3k range, which when dealer markup is added equates to what JR has suggested. None of those guns carried proofs over 1 1/4 oz. though.
Posted By: Salopian Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 05:36 AM
Doverham,
I had a look at that gun, it seems to be in a sound condition, the seller is a very reputable dealer, the price is right nowadays here in the UK, probably negotiable price for a cash sale, but by the time you have imported it into the US it would be far too dear. That is the basic problem with buying guns from the UK, import hassle.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 12:27 PM
Thanks for that feedback, Sal. The import issue is especially problematic for guns like this, where that extra cost ($700-800?) might represent 15-20% of the purchase price. Kind of a rounding error when you are buying a Boss or Woodward.

Gallyon promptly responded to my inquiry and confirmed that this gun was made by AA Brown in the early 1950s, when Brown was apparently making a lot of boxlock guns for the trade. The gun checks out with their records.
Posted By: SKB Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 12:44 PM
I can generally get guns into the States from the UK for less than 500$ in total costs each, if you are willing to wait for me to be able to get a large enough group together to make it cost effective. I usually bring in shipments twice a year or so.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 12:47 PM
Assembled by Brown and made by Webley & Scott....with a Webley screw grip action. I'd put it's value at $1500.00 to $1800.00 tops.

What makes you think the gun can digest modern waterfowl loads ?

I'd go with the RBL.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 01:20 PM
Big 12s have become a tough sell here in the states-IF they are Spanish or American. Pity the fool with a run of the mill 12 gauge model 21 for sale these days. I don't believe that is the case with English guns that fit the narrow pigeon gun/waterfowling gun description, and this one certainly does.
jOe's price is suspiciously close to what is asked for a new Benelli Super Black Eagle, a gun he owns and fondles a lot, but, doesn't talk much about, here. When you compare tangerines to tangerines, something built for a specific purpose, that you are going to use for a specific purpose, will always cost a bit more than a standard implement. That gun is built like a tank, I'd expect good, long service out of it, service that would chew up typical English boxlocks, built in typical game gun configuration.
I'd venture these guys are a little low on price, because they are only thinking in terms of resale, not long term specific use. I doubt you would find an English gun, configured as this one is, for less than $2500 on these shores, and they would be snapped up at that price, I'm guessing.
Good Luck, with whatever you decide to do, and I'd further advise against anything that says "Benelli" on the side-spotty reputation, you know.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 01:25 PM
You need to up those meds just a tad Teddy.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 03:46 PM
'au contraire, mon idiot-you need to realize that you just priced a heavy English fowler as if it were your own Stupid Black Eagle.
And, it 'taint. Resale is only important if you plan on reselling. The original poster said nothing to that end. He DID say he wanted a heavy, English boxlock.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 05:36 PM
Doverham,

If the Gallyon is the configuration you are looking for, it fits you & the condition is as good as it looks in the photos I don't think $2500 to $3500 delivered in the US is out of line. You can't buy anything else that comes close to the quality for a similar ammount of money and as you know, heavy proof English boxlocks in nice shape are not that easy to find (at least they haven't been for me).

I bought a similarly configured 12 bore 3 1/4 Ton 1 1/4 OZ proof Charles Boswell marketed Webley Screw grip actioned gun for my wife to use as a Vintage Clays SXS gun a few years back & we both couldn't be happier with the choice (not positive who actually built the gun but suspect either Wrights or AA Brown.
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 06:32 PM
Homless .It ain't no Webley .Brittany The Boswell guns were built by Webley ,as far as I know Malin bought a lot of barreled actions and they were finished in Canada ,Wrights by then had been taken over by Churchill and were only making Churchill guns .
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 09:47 PM
Good input - thanks all.

Hojo - the gun was reproofed in the past 10 years for 1.75 oz, so I think that should handle 1 3/8 Kent TM loads, which is all I would want to shoot.

SKB - thanks for the offer. That figure was a ballpark - I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Depending on that, I may take you up on your kind offer

Ted - you are correct, I have no plans to sell this. This gun appeals to me because it is purpose-built and covers my needs well. But we all know how that goes, so I am trying to get a sanity check. The boxlock true pigeon guns I have seen recently are being offered above the $2500 range, but none of them are built like this gun. Based on some of the comments here, it would seem that there may be some premium attached to who the trade gun maker is (assuming it can be verified).
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/12/12 10:12 PM
As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well. This is a gun that will certainly outlast you and your children. And you may be assured the Browns would not have put their name on it if it wasn't up to their high standards. I say "go for it" and to heck with what the resale or whatever might be--that isn't the point.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 04:27 AM
jOe positively IDs the gun as a Webley and it turns out he's full of poop. Hmm. Imagine that.
Myself, I'd not put any stock in the name on a boxlock, but, would put a bit on what it could do for me. Honest English fowlers and pigeon guns are not an easy commodity to price, stateside, boxlock or otherwise.
I still say it would sell for more than an lightly configured game gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 10:20 AM
I am probably the dumbest one posting on this thread but what makes ya'll think it is a pigeon gun? It has a safety and it is heavier than the average English pigeon gun. Seems more like a waterfowl gun to me.

I have a Gallyon 16 that is sculpted the same as this gun around the balls and top lever. Great gun.

Doverham does it say "AA Brown" on the gun somewhere or is the stamp some particular cartouche, like HAL did with the crossed pistols?

Thanks,

Mike
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well.

The screw grip action was proprietary to Webley.

I had a nice 3" 1970's William Powell SxS and wasn't at all impressed by it's patterns...this gun might pattern 3" shells quite well then again it might pattern like a 20 ga.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
As mentioned earlier it does appear to be a Scott actioned gun with their proprietary screw grip third fastener, which time has proven to be very strong and wears well.

The screw grip action was proprietary to Webley not Scott.

I had a nice 3" 1970's William Powell SxS and wasn't at all impressed by it's patterns...this gun might pattern 3" shells quite well then again it might pattern like a 20 ga.

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
I am probably the dumbest one posting on this thread but what makes ya'll think it is a pigeon gun?

Not to worry Mr. Snifflebean has you beat by a long shot laugh

I thought by the time this gun was built 3" ammo was outlawed for pigeon shooting competitions ?
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 01:01 PM
Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

Doverham does it say "AA Brown" on the gun somewhere or is the stamp some particular cartouche, like HAL did with the crossed pistols?

Mike - Gallyon has confirmed that AA Brown made the gun for them.

Fair point about waterfowler vs. pigeon gun.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 01:05 PM
Thank you Dover.

Not to belabor the point but I would expect a pigeon gun made in 1951 to have a single trigger. I don't know that though.

In my opinion the fact that it has double triggers is a plus. I have had many problems with single triggers on SxS guns. But I haven't shot in many pigeon shoots either. Exactly one now that I think about it. But I have thought about it a lot. grin

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/13/12 06:53 PM
Doverham,
The A.A.Brown stamp/trade mark is the Word; "ABAS"For further info;on the firm A.A.Brown & Son see my post on this forum today at 6.06 AM re;"Westley Richards question" origional posting,was by H.O.S.
Posted By: RedDot Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 09:35 AM
This is NOT a screw grip nut and it is NOT a Webley & Scott action.

Doverham if you want the gun you should buy it it's not a bad price. Call Charles at BSA. NY and he will give you a price for importing it.

If this gun were on that nut Small Bore's site it would be 7000 GBP.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 10:38 AM
The rib extension shows it's a Webley & Scott proprietary screw grip action.

"Not a Bad price"....I've not actual saw an exact price.
Posted By: RedDot Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 11:08 AM
Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.
Posted By: RedDot Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 11:11 AM
The seller is Francis Lovel and the price is 2995 GBP
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
Doverham,
The A.A.Brown stamp/trade mark is the Word; "ABAS"For further info;on the firm A.A.Brown & Son see my post on this forum today at 6.06 AM re;"Westley Richards question" origional posting,was by H.O.S.

Roy - thanks for this information. There is also a detailed history of the firm by Doug Tate on their website. AA Brown

On the waterfowl (excuse me, wildfowl) vs. pigeon gun question, Gallyon has confirmed that this was a wildfowl gun not a pigeon gun, which is consistent with Mike's question about the DTs and the heavy proofs. (Mike - I share your preference for DTs). Plus the gun was made in the aarly 50s - hadn't live pigeon shooting been banned in the UK by then?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: RedDot
Joe. Your looking in the wrong place (not the extension) look at the action and lever. It is NOT a Webley & Scott and it is NOT a screw grip nut. This gun is a Birmingham trade action. If I knew how to post pic's I would show you a Webley screw grip nut.

RedDot.

He doesn't listen very well. We tried to get that through to him a page or two ago.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 01:55 PM
Could someone please help RedDot post pictures of the Webley Screw Grip action. I for one would like to see some good pictures of a Webley Screw Grip compared to the for lack of the correct name "Trade Action w/extensinon & spindle actuated 3rd lock" that Wrights & others used for their heavy proof guns. I don't think Homeless is alone in confusing these actions.

I've been struggling with posting pictures myself.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 02:10 PM
The seller and I were able to come to a meeting of the minds on pricing, so I am now the newest custodian of this gun. Thanks all for the helpful input.

Its previous owner was John Gregson, who writes for SSM.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/14/12 03:04 PM
That's the best news I've heard this month. I'm sure it will perform at Journeyman level for the tasks you ask of it.

Congrats!

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/15/12 01:06 AM
Doverham,Pleased to hear that you have aquired the Gallyon/A.A.Brown wildfowl gun.I am sure it will fully meet your expectations.
In answer to your question, competition live bird shooting in the U.K.was banned in 1922.Pigeon shooting for sport and pest control continues today with the Wood Pigeon [Ring dove] being the primary quary bird for the vast majority of sportsmen.
During fall and winter months 100,s of thousands of these birds arrive in the U.K. from Europe, augmenting the local population to a level when serious damage to crops result.Daily bags in the 100,s are often achieved.This is not new sport,for example records show that in 1891 a T.G.Sowerby and two brothers shot 455 pigeons over decoys in a morning.
After 1922 Pigeon guns made by the British gun trade focused on non competitive live pigeon shooting in conjunction with clay pigeon shooting.
The typical Pigeon gun of the post war era was a 12 G SXS double, with 30 inch full choke barrels with file cut rib, chambered for 2 3/4 shells. These guns were nitro proof for 1 1/4 ozs loads.Corresponding weight of the gun ranged from 71/2 -7 3/4 pounds. The most popular action was box lock none ejector,with double triggers ,Purdey under bolts,Greener cross bolt and Side clips.
Makers catalogues of the era often also advertised this gun as a Wildfowl or Pigeon gun.The wildfowl versions were chambered for 3 inch shells & nitro proof for 11/2 ounce loads.The corresponding weight of the gun was increased to between 8.0 &9.0 pounds.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/15/12 02:00 PM
Note that 3" loads might be a bit unpleasant for all day use, but, that would be a fun old gun to use for sporting clays. I like the treatment applied to the the breech balls, it practically screams "kids, this is a big gun, it is not a toy"!
Let us know what you go through getting it here. I would advise finding an importer or at least an FFL who has imported a few guns.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/16/12 05:36 PM
Thats 3" inch standard not magnum .Although it was considered at its time to be 2&3/4" magnum equivolent .
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/16/12 11:02 PM
I'd bet either would be unpleasant in fairly short order-the gun is shy of 8lbs. I like my loads like my women, a bit more petite than usual...

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 12:29 AM
Roy - I have done some "wood pigeon" shooting over here, standing next to silos and shooting pigeons as a favor to farmers. Good sport (and practice for dove hunting) but a dozen or two birds was the best we ever did. It would have been fun to have this gun in hand for those days.

Ted - I totally agree. Kent TM 1 3/8 oz loads is all I need and want to shoot out of this gun. Having the heavier proofs on this gun will provide some mental comfort for shooting loads with those pressures.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

RedDot.

He doesn't listen very well. We tried to get that through to him a page or two ago.

Best,
Ted

You two don't know what you are looking at.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

RedDot.

Best,
Ted

You two don't know what you are looking at.

You can't count, either-since, three people have told you it wasn't what you thought it was.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Foster Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 03:57 PM
HomelessjOe. That gun is not a Webley screw grip nut action and that make 4 to 1.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 04:00 PM
Thanks, John.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 04:20 PM
hello homelessjOe,
i do not wish to kick a man when he is down but i do not see a screw grip or any webley action in the photos provided.i am always willing to learn so please correct and enhance my knowledge.
cheers

mrwmartin.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 04:39 PM
Quote:
I for one would like to see some good pictures of a Webley Screw Grip compared to the for lack of the correct name "Trade Action w/extensinon & spindle actuated 3rd lock" that Wrights & others used for their heavy proof guns.

Here is a picture posted on the WR Leeson site:

More helpfully, there is a very detailed discussion of the Webely Screw Grip posted on that site: http://wrleeson.co.uk/design.htm
Here is the nub of the discussion:
Quote:
An alternative design to the Greener 'cross bolt' or Westley Richards Dolls Head was the Webley Screw Grip top extension patented by T. W. Webley and T. Brain (P. Webley & Son) under patent No: 3053 in 1882. The design made use of either the more ornate and complex Dolls Head type or a straight or blade type extension. The later dispensed with the Dolls head leaving a simpler straight slot cut in the top edge of the standing breech. Although the blade design would have been less expensive to produce the Dolls head variant seems to have been the preference of W R Leeson.

The design is based on an external screw or thread mounted on the vertical spindle of the top lever inside the standing breech. On the upper part of the spindle, inside the standing breech is also a cam mechanism. When the top lever is operated to open the breech, the screw mechanism rotates inside the spindle assembly and places an upward lifting force on the underside of the top extension. In effect its acts as an assistance to the opening of the breech. When the breech is closed, as the sliding bolts lock into the barrel lumps, the top cam mechanism places a downward force on a stepped lug forming part of top extension. This has the effect of pushing the top extension, whether of the Dolls Head or indeed the Blade Head extension design down into the slot on the upper face of the standing breech. Once home, both the sliding bolts lock into position in the cut outs of the barrel lumps and the third bite mechanism locks home the top extension, ensuring a very strong bolting.

The Webley screw grip satisfies both aspects concerning breech burst and breech/barrel flexing. Barrel flex is overcome when the head itself is located into the slot cut in the standing breech of the action, the barrel being held secure between the fences, as can be seen in the picture above. The second feature is to lock the breech closed in combination with the sliding bolts. This was achieved by a modification to the top lever spindle incorporating a screw thread or cam type mechanism. When the breech was closed the spring mechanism of the top lever ensures the cam exerts downward force on the top extension. The combination of the two design aspects produced an exceptionally strong breech to action joint as well as an aesthetically pleasing feature.

This question was also discussed in some detail here a few years ago:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149435&page=1

I think to answer the question of whether a gun has the Webley Screw Grip, you need to check not only the barrel extension but also the spindle to confirm it has the camming mechanism.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 04:42 PM
Would someone please explain the difference between a "Webley" screw grip" as made by Webley or Webley & Scott compared to the generic trade gun action w/rib extension & 3rd bite as shown this thread. The only difference I can see is the "Webley Screw Grip" has visable threads on the spindle but I don't think the threads actually engage the rib extension. It looks to me like both actions use the same principal design of the top lever boss or the top of the spindle engaging an angled cut on the rib extension and locking it down. Does the "Webley Screw Grip" move the spindle up & down to engage the rib extension as the top lever is rotated?

I've read several articles re. the "Webley Screw Grip" but all have been vague on how it actually works.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Doverham

The very first picture shows the double stepped lug extension common on the Webley screw grip action....only a lugg head can't see it laugh

The Scott book plainly shows it with and without the dolls head extension...I believe the term "screw grip" means just that, the lever screw turns over the lower part of the lug or grips it.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/17/12 08:38 PM
hello again jOe,
Thanks for the reply.i accept the top extension style shown is often used on webleys but that alone does not prove screw grip.there is no webley horseshoe lever nor webley fences and remain unconvinced of a webley action.also, by the 1950 s webley had moved to the 700 series which did not(to my knowledge) incorporate screw grips.
i do have a thirst for learning re webleys and would be grateful to be given more facts and further education re same.
cheers

mrwmartin
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 03:02 AM
I'm still not getting my questioned answered so maybe I'm not clear on what I'm asking. I am asking about differences in the rib extension 3rd fastener w/o a dollshead between a Webley made action & those so called trade actions made or used by Wrights, AA Brown & possibly other makers. From what I can see the rib extension/top lever type 3rd fastener as shown in the pictures of the gun Doverham purchased is functionally the same as the 3rd fastener used on a Webley made screw grip action (the top lever or the spindle itself cams down on the rib extension when closed) & we are told this is a AA Brown built gun not a Webley or Webley & Scott. I'm sometimes hearing "Webley Screw Grip" as a generic term for all actions using this type of 3rd fastener system & I want to know what is correct. In Don Masters book
"The House of Churchill" page 281 he is discussing Wright's early post war production & refers to Wright's 4E pigeon gun as built for Thomas Brand &Son having a "straight extension & Boss bite". Pictures of Wright 4EP bbls show the same type rib extension as on Doverham's gun & I've got exactly the same type of rib extension & 3rd bite on a Charles Boswell. I previously reported this gun as being proofed 3 1/4 Ton 1 1/4 oz under the 1954 rules but it is actually 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz under the 1925 rules. Actual maker and date of mfg undetermined.

I realize Webley made guns have some other distinctive features but that is not what I'm talking about.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 03:24 AM
Doverham,

Thanks for the direction to the WR Leeson site. Best info I've seen on the Webley Screw Grip. I can see the difference in the construction vs. the "trade action" but functionally they appear the same except that the Webley Screw Grip is likely a lot stronger. Guess that's why they built double rifles on those actions & not (that I'm aware) the "trade" actions.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Doverham,

Thanks for the direction to the WR Leeson site.

http://wrleeson.co.uk/design.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and click next page and look at the second picture from the top on the left hand side of the page.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 01:28 PM
Homeless. Yes & go to page 3 on the WR Leeson site & look at the schematic. Notice any difference? Maybe both types are "Webley Screw Grips"? I don't know & that is what I'm trying to clarify.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 01:35 PM
Webley & Scott made actions and parts for most all English gun makers...was Brown any different than say Holland and Holland ?
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 03:25 PM
The following is excerpted from Doug Tate's history of the firm that is posted on AA Brown's website, which I think gets at HojO's question:

Quote:
During the austere period immediately after the war, when the steel tubes used to make shotgun barrels were unavailable, the Browns once again developed a strategy for survival. . . . .

The firm's record books for the 1950s and '60s are replete with guns made by A. A. Brown & Sons for other makers.

A recent visitor was shown entries for Holland & Holland, John Harper, and even Alex Martin "ribless" guns. Robin Brown explained that the Browns had made "many of the ribless guns for Alex Martin" and many of the XXVs sold by E. J. Churchill. . . . . Robin Brown explained how the Churchill firm would order guns of identical specifications from different makers Baker, Wrights or Brown that were engraved and finished except that the stock, though inletted and attached, remained in a rough and unfinished state. When a pair of guns was needed, Robert Churchill would select two likely candidates from the rack and have a stacker set about carving the wood to fit the customer. Robin's father, Sidney, said it was "pure hell" for the woodworker, but it meant finished guns could be ready in four or five weeks. On 9 January 1931, the Prince of Wales ordered a pair of Churchill "Premier" XXVs, and the guns were miraculously delivered five days later. Robin and Sidney Brown's explanation of how Churchill guns were made would account for the short delivery time.

Throughout the postwar period the Browns continued to build guns for the trade. Perhaps because they were industrious at a time when much of Britain wanted to rest after the exhausting task of defeating Hitler's Germany or perhaps because they had a mature highly skilled workforce dedicated to building the finest guns available they flourished where others had failed. When Joseph Asbury, which machined many of the actions for the trade went under, A. A. Brown acquired its machinery, giving Brown the capacity to machine its own actions from the raw forging. They also acquired the business and name of A. E. Bayliss & Co., a Birmingham Trade manufacturer who was pleased to pass his business over on his retirement. . . .

In the early 1960s, much of the gun quarter was redeveloped to make way for Birmingham's inner-ring road. It was a time of turmoil for the trade: Shooting was unfashionable, and apprentices were hard to find. Many well-known names R. B. Rodda & Co., Bentley & Playfair, and Clabrough & Johnstone disappeared rather than face the challenges of finding new premises, markets, and a work force. A. A. Brown's Sand Street premises became a multilevel parking structure, but the company found a new home within the Westley Richards firm out at Bournebrook. Westley Richards continued to build most of its own Anson and Deeley designed guns, particularly the hand-detachable lock model known to American collectors as the "droplock." However, for approximately fourteen years A. A. Brown built the Westley Richards best sidelock ejector gun together with a number of Connaught boxlocks using Brown's own thick walled replaceable hinge pin action which allowed for sleek rounded styling.
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/18/12 05:52 PM
Webley made actions with both dolls or club head extensions as well as with straight extensions . With later guns such as the 700 they still used the screw as a base for their lever work but abandoned the barrel extension ,effectively making the "grip nut" obsolete . They continued using this as to abandon it altogether would have meant a total redesign of their lever work and at the time the cost of retooling to do so was considered to great. All things considered it was one of the strongest lever systems built as is testimony of the many hundreds of double rifles they built ,mostly bearing the names of other makers .
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 05:58 PM
Lovel just confirmed that this gun does in fact have a Webley Screw Grip Action.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 08:49 PM
hello,
if lovell are correct i offer my apologies to homelessjOe for questioning his belief re screw grip on this gun.i am always pleased to learn and would be grateful for a clear explanation from jOe(as i previously requested) as to his method of identification.
cheers

mrwmartin
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 09:44 PM
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as you might say - when I have the gun, I will post a picture of the slot in the standing breach to confirm Lovel's statement.

This is largely beyond my ken, but I did notice that the top surface of the locking part of the extension is not flat but is angled up left to right. If the fastener cams, wouldn't it be better to have the bearing surface angled slightly up to increase the downward pressure as the cam moves across the extension? Or would an angled bearing surface be used regardless of the type of fastener used to hold the extension down?

Posted By: steve white Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 10:26 PM
Mr. Martin is not the only one who owes an apology, but he has certainly been the most cordial.
Posted By: justin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 10:38 PM
Mr. Marin, please refer to page five and the link to the wr leech site. It's a pretty good explanation
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/25/12 10:49 PM
hello justin,
thank you for the referal to the leech link,but i have previously read the article and i am still unable to determine from the picture above whether it is a webley screw grip or otherwise.
i have very little technical knowledge but am familiar with shooting guns with a webley screw grip and can identify them with confidence when in possession.
i am however stumped to identify from the picture above and that is what i would like explained.
many thanks

mrwmartin
Posted By: justin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 03:49 AM
Mr.Martin,read the entire Jungle Gun thread here on the board there are some great pictures of the breech face that show the threads that work the cam that closes down on the rib extension. I think that should do it. If not we'll work on it some more I'm sure someone else will chime in with help
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 06:41 PM
The gun shown in the picture on page 6 dose not ,repeat does not have a Webley screw grip lever .It has a standared Scott spindle with straight extention . Take it from me ,I have fitted Webley lever work so I do know one when I see one .
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 07:08 PM
Gunman,

Thank you! What is the correct term for this type of 3rd bite using the straight extension locking off the boss of the top lever? I have seen quite a few guns proofed for 2 3/4" & 3" cartridges using this type of 3rd bite marketed by different firms so I'm assuming this was an action commonly available to the trade. Who were the suppliers the actions or action forgings?
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 07:31 PM
justin,
thanks again for a further link but i have already read the article and as i said earlier i have also read the link to leeson.i have also said i am familiar with screw grip actions but i still cannot see the screw grip proof in the photograph provided.
i have also apologised to homelessjOe re the matter since lovell(sellers) claim this gun is a screw grip.i do not see it in the picture hence my request for an explanation.
cheers
mrwmartin
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 08:09 PM

Hopefully gunman can confirm this but this is what I believe is a Webley Screw Grip action top lever:

as compared to this top lever

I have made an inquiry with AA Brown to see what their records show with respect to the gun in question (the second photo).
Posted By: justin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 08:21 PM
Well mr Martin I may be the goat here. Since there are no pictures of the breech face and in the face of gunman's strong and well informed opinion I got to back off and hit the books on this.
Gunman,what should we be looking at for confirmation of the Webley patent? Is the Jungle Gun a Webley patent with a doll's head extension? And how come I can never get this shit right?
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 08:50 PM
justin.
i do not claim to be correct, i am only asking for assistance in identification from the photo. a fellow board member, roy hebbes, kindly sent me a copy of a marvelous screw grip article from a historical edition of shooting sportsman.it is a great read re screw grips.
cheers
doverham,
your top photo is indeed a webley horse shoe lever.
cheers

mrwmartin
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/26/12 09:01 PM
Doverham,The first illustration posted is the Webley Screw Grip[ie; the screwed bushing is separate from the operating lever and is usually marked,"patent" the bushing is machined to accept the lever].I would refer those interested to page 56 of ;"Volume 2, The British Shotgun," by Crudgington and Baker.Illustrated is T.Webley & T Bain patent 3053 of 1882," The Screw Grip".Reference is also made to Webley patent 1511 also of 1882 rib extension.The illustration that accompanies the patent drawing is a Leeson shotgun featuring a dolls head rib extension and third bite activated by the Webley Baine Screw grip.
Records indicate that Webley Screw grip action was made from1900-1946 and possibley as late as 1950. The action was sold in the white to many makers.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 03:59 AM
I think Lovel owes Doverham an apology, but, I can't see where anyone else owes one to anybody. 'Cepting, maybe, the guy who used the term "Lugg head".

Even after he was told he was looking in the wrong place.

By multiple people.

Again.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Small Bore Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 07:07 AM
Joe posted: 'Webley & Scott made actions and parts for most all English gun makers...was Brown any different than say Holland and Holland ?'

It is a good question. The answer is that Brown's used their own forgings and machined them in house. They did not use webley actions. Browns built many of the Holland & Holland 'Northwood' boxlocks and 'Badminton' sidelocks.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 12:35 PM
Robin Brown kindly (and very promptly) responded to my inquiry and confirmed that the gun in question (the second photo above) "is by A A Brown and does not have a screw grip, it is built on our own action with Scott spindle leverwork plus replaceable hinge pin." He also confirmed that AA Brown "never made a gun using a W&S action so there is not in existence a genuine A A Brown with screw grip."

So, in conclusion:

1. As Dig said, AA Brown did not use W&S actions for their boxlocks, so none of their boxlocks will have a Webley Screw Grip.
2. Webley Screw Grips are indicated by the shape of the top lever, not the barrel extension.

I will leave to others to sort out if any apologies are necessary, but should clarify that Lovel did not advertise this gun as a Webley Screw Grip and it was only after I purchased the gun in response to my inquiry that they told me it was a Webley Screw Grip.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 01:03 PM

Hopefully gunman can confirm this but this is what I believe is a Webley Screw Grip action top lever:

If you think this is a Webley screw grip action.....I've got an opening in my hunting club in Death Valley (only 100 pounds).
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 01:16 PM
Thank you Doverham, now we are getting somewhere.

Could someone please answer the following:

In reference to the gun Doverham purchased from Lovel & is now confirmed to be built by AA Brown, was this type of 3rd bite used exclusively by AA Brown or was it commonly used by other makers & suppliers of actions to the trade & what is the proper name for this style of 3rd bite?
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 01:19 PM
If you think this is a Webley screw grip action.....I've got an opening in my hunting club in Death Valley (only 100 pounds).

Actually, I said it has "a Webley Screw Grip action top lever."
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 01:23 PM
You're a prime candidate for my hunting club...bring extra clothes when you come to hunt.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 01:51 PM
That observation was passed on to me by a respected Birmingham gunmaker who is a current Guardian of the Birmingham Proof House. I think others here with familiarity with these actions have also confirmed that is the signature top lever shape for a Webley Screw Grip - not sure there is an argument to be had on this point.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 02:20 PM
Doverham,

Don't mind Joe. He failed both Reading Comprehension 101 & Dale Carnegie Training. Probably why he is homeless!
Posted By: justin Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 04:32 PM
I am certainly sorry I stuck my nose in this,except I did learn a lot about the Webley patent.
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 06:08 PM
Doverham ,it certainly looks like a screw grip nut ,but not benefiting from the extension,as with the later Webley 600 and 700 range .Whether it is a Webley action or not I could not say from the picture . There were a couple variations on the theme ,I recall a Danial Frasier that had what looked like a grip nut but was in fact a boss that keyed into the action rather than a screw thread . The gun shown does not have a typical Webley top strap being longer than the norm for a Webley .
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/27/12 11:40 PM

plus replaceable hinge pin.

Not from what I'm seeing.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 02:02 AM
The other side

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 02:40 AM

plus replaceable hinge pin.

Not from what I'm seeing.

Strike two.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 12:00 PM
Looks like a fake screw to me.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 12:19 PM
jOe - thank you for your thoughtful and no doubt well-intended opinion on this point. But given a choice, I will stick with what the maker has told me based on a review of their records as opposed to your review of a computer image.

No offense intended, of course . . . .
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 03:40 PM
Doverham,

A gentlemanly reply to Joe's post.

It appears that "Webley Screw Grip" is an often misused
term for any action having 3rd bite using a straight extension locking off the top lever or spindle)& we have determined what features define a true Webley Screw Grip. There are plenty of misused terms in gun descriptions being thrown about (like POW grip) by people who should know better so it's nothing to get upset about as we are all trying to learn something here.

To conclude a very useful thread could someone please comment on the following questions I've asked before.

1. What is the correct term for the type of 3rd bite used on the Gallyon marketed AA Brown built gun featured in this thread?

2. Who besides AA Brown used this type of 3rd bite for their heavy proof guns? Pictures of the 3EP & 4EP guns built by Wrights for the trade appear to use the same type of 3rd bite & the entire action appears to be the same or similar except fot the shaping of the fences. Were these actions commonly available to those who built guns for the trade such as Browns, Wrights & Midland or were they produced individually from commonly available forgings?

I find the Birmingham gun trade both interesting and confusing.
Posted By: gunman Re: AA Brown Premium - 09/28/12 06:29 PM
I do not believe I have ever heard it called any thing else other than a third bite . Many makers used this method and as many of the smaller firms bought their actions from machinists such a Joseph Asbury ,the famous "JA" seen on so many gun actions and barrels it was a fairly standard feature on guns with a Scott spindle . An adaptation for guns with cam lever where the the lever had an extended finger as it would with across bolt but much heavier engaging in a slot. There was also a variation like the "hidden" third bite that employed a smaller extension with a sliding wedge also engaging in a slot in the extension this being operated by a peg connecting it to the top lever .
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 12:46 AM
So, after a very long stay with a stocker, I finally got this gun back. I had the fore-end converted from SFE to SBTFE, and am very happy with how it came out. It is much longer but not too bulky. The metal tip was replaced with horn. The pistol grip was replaced with Woodward style grip with a grip cap. The leather pad may be the best I have seen.

It was an adventure getting this project done, but I am very happy with the final result (proof is in the eating - it shoots very well). Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 01:11 AM
Holy smokes!!! What a great job. Was it restocked here or in England?

Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 01:17 AM
Thanks - I had it restocked over here, by a board member who shall remain unidentified - that was part of our "deal"
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 01:22 AM
As there is only a few that can do that level of work, I know who restocked it or should I say I think I know.

Is it still destined for some goose blind or is it your dedicated sporting clays gun? smile
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 02:27 AM
Love that Woodward style grip. Very nice!
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Is it still destined for some goose blind or is it your dedicated sporting clays gun? smile

It weighs 8 lbs, choked Mod and Full with 3" chambers and 30" barrels, so it well set up for both. I have shot a decent amount of SC with it so far and really liked it for that task. I used it for a faux driven pheasant shoot at a friend's club and but have not had a chance to chase any waterfowl with it. maybe next season?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/15/16 01:06 PM
Very, very nicely done. I haven't hunted ducks in nearly 30 years, and never had conditions to do so that would be nice enough to use a gun as beautiful as that. There was always a Lab or Chessie trying to stand on, knock down or lift a leg on a gun, if you know what I mean. Boat rash happens to things inside a boat, too.
Do enjoy. That stock is beautiful.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/16/16 06:51 AM
That has come out well. A A Brown did (and still do) very fine work. The new work seems to match that quality well and do it justice, though I have to add that the forend is probably not to UK taste ;-)
Well done and enjoy you long awaited project.
Posted By: Doverham Re: AA Brown Premium - 01/16/16 08:01 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Interesting thing about the fore-end. Gallyon's records indicate that two fore-ends were made - one a SBTFE that went missing at some point along the way. I suspect this one is a little "beefier" than the original, though.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com