doublegunshop.com - home
EDIT: Title changed to reflect that the action has been identified and now it is a picture thread. wink

German BLnE
12ga
Nitro Proofed Krupp barrels.
No date stamp among proofs.

More pictures later, rushing off to a dinner party.

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/22/12 08:41 PM
Looks a bit like a trigger plate action- the safety bar looks a bit like German born but American based (Saginaw, MI) designer Emil Flues work- but that's just a SWAG- very fine workmanship!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/22/12 09:17 PM
Note the cocking indicators far back on the top tang. Meffert's Treff action had a similar but removable block which housed the strikers. Can you pleasure us with an image of the top tang?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/22/12 11:02 PM
Tell me more about the Treff.
Pictures to follow.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/23/12 01:59 AM
A coupler pics and Raimey seems to have nailed it.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/23/12 12:16 PM
Utah:

I assume you are still in Penn? I'll have to run thru my notes, but one will find Mefferts with stamps like Treff DRGM 71381, Hubertus Gewehr 32200, and combinations. I realize yours is a double but I have see more examples adapted to drillings. I haven't found the DRGM just yet but I assume it applies to the metal block that houses what I guess would be called coil hammers. Then the selected coil hammer engages a striker, etc. Some refer to it as a breech battery which is attached to the top tang with the for sure turned screws as seen in your example. Note the cocking dogs activate a common one piece cocker, which is held in readiness with that little spring. The design is supposed to have well regulated, light & crip triggers but as evident by your example & others I've seen someone wanted to get into the mechanism for some reason. Maybe the springs on the coil hammers was broken. I do know that on drillings sometimes the motion of the selector will release the striker on the lower tube. So all has to be in correct working order. If the DRGM 71381 applies to it, the design would originate from the mid to late 1890s and sources give the design was abandoned circa 1929 but I've seen examples dated as late as 1931. Your double dates from post 1912 to 1923. Can you snap an image of the area from the flats forward to the forend lug? The Crossed Cannons Krupp stamp is common on Meffert offerings if Heinrich Ehrhardt's steel stamp isn't present.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/23/12 01:49 PM
Raimey,

Nothing forward of the flats except the s/n and the numeral '5' next to the forend lug.

I'll clean the screws up a bit after I finish stripping and cleaning the action.

I disassembled the gun as I could hear something 'moving' in the action. It was the lever for the safety reset which has no spring retaining it in position. Mechanically, all works as it should.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/24/12 01:59 AM
Having it this far apart, it made sense to strip it further for a good clean, polish and lube.

Raimey, the fire pins are not identical, so likely a replacement led to the buggered screw.

Since I was taking it apart, I took pictures to share. If I strip it further (unlikely) I'll take more pics.

And finally, what looks to be 90-100 year old pencil markings.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/24/12 12:10 PM
Nice detail there Utah. I'm attempting to assemble a Meffert serial number sequence so the number on the buttplate is stamped elsewhere? Yeah, as I said watch that small spring on the saddle as well as the 2 cocking indicators. Approx. what is the trigger pull weight and how's the scear-nose interface? I'll keep searching for the DRGM but little info seems available unless Axel's Shotgun Charlie has some filed. Since you have gone to all this effort, I'll pull the block on a drilling I have.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/25/12 04:31 AM
Raimey,

I didn't check pull weight before I pulled it all apart. I'll let you know when I get it back together. (It wasn't heavy enough for me to note it.)

The sear-nose interface is quite pronounced. Pushing on the lever to release the striker with a thumb takes a good bit of effort. More of a 'hook'.

The pivot points on the trigger blades and sear lever obviously assist with the pull weight.

Obviously I pulled it further apart.... laugh

Parts are cleaned of 100 years of gunk. Starting reassembly. The only parts I did not take out were the top lever and locking mechanism. I didn't want to bugger the screw.
Posted By: RCC Re: Identify a SxS Mechanism - 08/25/12 10:42 AM
Such an impressive thread. You two do educate many of us who are buffoons when it comes to the inner workings of a gun.

Utah, there are some photos of a Meffert I bought last Sunday, posted on the thank you thread to Raimey in the German gun forum, if you have not seen them.
RCC,

I don't hang out here as much as I used to. Recently I posted about a Mauser rifle and was then directed to the single barrel sub-forum I didn't know existed.

Now I post about SxS and am directed to the German sub-forum I didn't know existed. cool

I have this forum bookmarked and skip right past the rest. laugh

Beautiful Meffert you picked up. I let another one similar to current one being discussed get away as the pictures were not good enough to make me feel comfortable.
Utah:
Lovely effort on the dissassembly & images. How about one of the muzzle? M-4 recently made me aware of a Westley bolt gun in 0.318" and you crossed my mind.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Will do on the picture of the muzzles. Will be later this afternoon as I am off to an auction in a few minutes.
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Utah:
Lovely effort on the dissassembly & images. How about one of the muzzle? M-4 recently made me aware of a Westley bolt gun in 0.318" and you crossed my mind.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

What are you looking for at the muzzle? I know the barrel length seemed odd to me, but it looks uncut, chokes are full and ungodly full.
The 318 Rimless Nitro is an interesting cartridge!
Should be a fun gun and ammo easily made smile
Where will you get your .330 bullets?

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Hornady_330_205_Grn_Spire_Point_Bullets_it-159658.aspx?CAT=4142

Mike
Appeared someone got a decent buy on the .318 WR but with the crummy pic's and in ability for inspection it went for more than I was willing to gamble. From what could be seen it looked good with just some blueing wear on the bbl and looks to have sold for about $3500 to get it into the hands of the new owner. Sorry about the thread diversion but had to answer.

m-4
Not a diversion there M-4 as I put the tangent out there. I guess one might find a German bolt gun in 0.276" Westley Richards, 0.276" Rigby/7x57 Mauser, before a discovery of one in 0.318" Westley Richards. Anyway, I was looking for a menacing or crosshatched muzzle but here Immanuel Meffert held to less adornment. The tubes look nice & meaty. The tube length most definitely should be an integer number in cm like 68, 69, 70cm, etc. Have you posted the length already and I missed it?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
I only thought I posted the length.... blush

29 1/2"

6 lb 12 oz
To keep with the cm integer value length, it should be 75cm or just a little over 29 1/2".

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Muzzles of two Imm. Merffert Drillings, both from the 1920', both have Hammers, one is 16x16x 9.3x72 the other is 12x12x 8mm(.318)x58 Mauser. [img]http://<a href="http://[/img]

Trying to show picture of hatch/scratch at the muzzles of both guns, can't get the hang of picture posting, sorry.

Thanks to Joe Wood, he talkedmed throught the process, I was able to post the picture.

The FAQ instructions could use a revision, a seriuos one.
Jerry, you are right--the photo FAC needs a major overhaul and I promise to do it this winter. Oh, great pics!

Finally got a chance to grab some images. If anyone wants to see the individual components, I'd be happy to oblige.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Thank you sir. Just logging back in after a few weeks. Very cool to see another.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com