doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 05:08 AM
Hi all, I have a question regarding DT. I have the chance at getting a nice V. Sarasqueta BLE, but the problem is some knob in the past switched triggers. The front trigger is set up to fire the left bbl first and the rear trigger the right bbl!

So...as I'm all thumbs with things mechanical, how difficult would/will it be to reverse the triggers so they fire in proper order?

I don't thnk it would be hard, but what say the experts?

Thanks as always!

Greg
I am not familiar with this gun in particular but in all the British guns I have worked on, it will only be a matter of how much reregulation was done on the trigger blades when the blades were swopped.
Blades on most well made guns dislike being placed in the wrong side. They tend to bind as they were filed up to fit on one side or t'other and interchangeability was not considered.
Then you have the issue of sear clearance: you don't want the blades holding the sear partly (or completely) out of bent!
Finally you have the set on the triggers themselves. These are set so that they are both neatly in the middle of the t'guard and one behind the other. On a right handed gun, the rear (left barrel) trigger is set over to the right so it is easily accessable to the right index finger while the front (right barrel) trigger is straight-ish or slightly to the left.
Then there is the twist in the trigger itself, set to avoid a sharp edge rubbing on your trigger finger.
All in all, nothing much to it.
Are you sure it wasn't ordered this way, e.g., for a left-handed shooter?
Posted By: Buzz Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 10:05 AM
Sounds like a lot of trouble to me Greg. Have you measured the barrels? Is the left barrel more open than the right? If I were you, I'd forget about this one and go English. A better investment and more down your alley anyway. Just MHO.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 11:36 AM
The suggestion about checking the barrel chokes is a good one. V. Sarasqueta made some superb shotgunsand this one might just be worth futzing with.

Or, if the triggers are set properly as is, using as is.

A nicely-made V.S. swings with the best of them.
Not a hard task to just shoot the rear trigger first.
Posted By: SKB Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 12:28 PM
I have switched them on several guns for clients. All have been simply a matter of swapping them.
Posted By: gjw Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 12:55 PM
Hi all, this one is set up for a right handed shooter, the blades are turned for a right handed guy. The rear blade is even sticking out a bit from the trigger guard.

The gun is choked left Full (.036) and right Lt Mod (.016)

This one is in very good shape and the price is good. The weight on her is 6lbs 7oz and is a 12ga. To be hoonest this one is for number 2 son.

Thanks so much for all the info and suggestions!!!

You folks are the best!

Greg
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 01:41 PM
Greg--Just have the L barrel opened to something like skeet or IC and you're good to go. Probably a better choice than M/F anyhow if you're gunning pheasants over good dogs.
If the triggers are still set for RH then I would suspect that nothing has been done to them. However, it is aways important to check that there is slight movement in the triggers with the gun cocked (AND UNLOADED!) and safety off. If not, there may be no clearance between the sears and t'blades and the sears may be being held partly out of full engagement with their bents.
This may have been regulated in either direction when the swop was made, by file or bending, and you must check it when the triggers are returned to their original location.
I would suggest that leaving the rear trigger sticking out from the t'guard is not sensible. Not only may it catch on clothing but triggers can snap like carrots is they meet with an immoveable force!
Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
If the triggers are still set for RH then I would suspect that nothing has been done to them. However, it is aways important to check that there is slight movement in the triggers with the gun cocked (AND UNLOADED!) and safety off. If not, there may be no clearance between the sears and t'blades and the sears may be being held partly out of full engagement with their bents.
This may have been regulated in either direction when the swop was made, by file or bending, and you must check it when the triggers are returned to their original location.
I would suggest that leaving the rear trigger sticking out from the t'guard is not sensible. Not only may it catch on clothing but triggers can snap like carrots is they meet with an immoveable force!
Boy Howdy- words of wisdom here- the rearmost trigger sticking out is an accident waiting for an Invite from Murphy's Laws-- here's the test I use when checking out a prospective double for purchase-and as I only buy 12 gauges with std double triggers (either extractor or ejectors OK)- here's what I do-whether sidelock or boxlock--unbreech the gun and put in snap caps or dummy shells with a bit of masking tape over the primer pocket--close the gun, bring it to my shoulder and release the safert, then re-set it- then, one trigger at a time first, I put finger pressure on the front blade, then remove my index finger and slide the safety Off- if the hammer drops from this- there is a sear bent and trigger clearance problem- I also do this with the rear trigger, then try both-- I would NOT attempt to swap the triggers myself, a job for a expert gunsmith who specializes in double guns-IMO
Posted By: gjw Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - Pics - 08/17/12 03:22 PM
Hi all and thanks again! The gun in question will be used by by son when he shoots Clays (Trap) for his 4H Club. It's not high volumn shooting by any means, 50 rds every 3 weeks or so, so I'd like to keep the chokes as is.

I'm trying to teach him to use DT, all the SxS's he has now are SST. So I don't want to start him out wrong. He could use one of mine, but a boy needs his own gun. Plus he really likes it!

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the triggers, as they say a picture is worth......

Thanks again!

Greg

Posted By: james-l Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 03:36 PM
I would be willing to bet that the triggers have been swapped from original, note that the rear trigger would be in correct position if it was set to fire left barrel. I would just swap them.
SKB converted my leftie lefever G-grade by swapping out the mechanism. It works just fine for me now and its been several years...Geo
Hello GJW,

I tend to agree with the swapping opinions. I think they were assembled wrong.

JC
Posted By: gjw Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: james-l
I would be willing to bet that the triggers have been swapped from original, note that the rear trigger would be in correct position if it was set to fire left barrel. I would just swap them.

Hi Jim, that's what I've been saying all along. Guess when you put things into words, it can be a bit hard to understand, especially when I write.

Thanks again!

Greg
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 06:53 PM
There is a possibility that this gun was ordered by a sportsman intent on shooting driven grouse or partridge.In this sport the first shot is most likely taken far out and the second close in.
Most of us that shoot with SXS doubles instinctively fire the right front trigger first particularly when in a "hot corner"! This is of course is the wrong sequence when shooting driven grouse [partridge in spain?]!
Alex Martin, many years sold a friend of mine a grouse gun in which the front trigger fired the left full choke barrel thus '
"instinct" was eliminated as a factor for the individual and the firing sequence was correct for the sport envisaged.
On the other hand I have encountered several guns by English makers in which some amateur gunsmith had simply mixed up the triggers and assembled them incorrectly.
I think most everyone is over thinking the problem. Recently acquired a nice older Fox that was set up the same as this gun. After firing the gun and having it double I determined that some oaf had simply reversed the triggers from their original. Drove out one pin, put the triggers in their proper position and all is now right with the world.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
I think most everyone is over thinking the problem. Recently acquired a nice older Fox that was set up the same as this gun. After firing the gun and having it double I determined that some oaf had simply reversed the triggers from their original. Drove out one pin, put the triggers in their proper position and all is now right with the world.
You might be right. It would be nice if Greg could buy the gun contingent on correct orientation and functional triggers.
Posted By: gjw Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: buzz
Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
You might be right. It would be nice if Greg could buy the gun contingent on correct orientation and functional triggers.

I agree, I think the simple answer is that someone switched the triggers, plain and simple.

I'm talking to the seller right now to see what we can do to resolve this. I think it will end up alright.

Thanks again all!

Greg
Posted By: JayCee Re: Technical Question On Double Triggers - 08/17/12 10:27 PM
"If you hear hooves think horses not zebras".

The triggers were switched.

JC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com