doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 6878mm Henri Peiper - 08/03/12 01:04 AM
What sort of quality are guns made by this fellow
I am a little put off by it, belgian, BUT it looks to be as good as lower grade English stuff??
I realise that he probably made different grades of guns

Cheers
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Henri Peiper - 08/03/12 04:29 PM
Peiper made almost all grades of shotguns from classic "just another Belgian clunker" farmers guns to some very nice doubles. I don't know whether anything approaching "Best" quality was ever sold under the Peiper name; perhaps others can comment on that.

If the price is right, I'd say you should focus on condition more than grade; at least in the US, Peipers don't bring much money in any grade, but in good shape they can be good shooters. Usual caveats about chamber length and barrel material/wall thickness apply, of course.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Henri Peiper - 08/03/12 04:56 PM
I have four, a sidelock Damascus barreled 12 gauge from about 1886, and three box locks of varying grades post 1905. I would agree Pieper most probably never made a "best" gun, but they made some nice ones. I'll post a couple pics when I get home tonight.

My three fluid steel barreled guns are all chopper lump and vary between a field grade and 100% coverage engraving.

Echoing Mike I would advise "buy the gun, not the maker". Pieper will never command much for brand value but I think I got some pretty nice guns for not very much money.

Pieper was an early pioneer of relative large scale and vertically integrated manufacturing as well as having a number of patents to his name, most importantly his system of joining the barrels, a system used to this day most notably by Beretta. He was also a founding partner of FN.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Henri Peiper - 08/03/12 06:26 PM
Yep, you are correct. All Belgian guns are junk. The entire output spanning over 400 years. Everyone knows if it was not made in London, it is not worth owning!

Seriously, you can't believe that nonsense....

American companies purchased 150,000 sets of damascus barrels from Belgium in 1906. Baker and others testified before congress, begging them to increase the tariff on Belgian guns so they could compete.

Canvasback nailed it. Pieper produced a lot of guns. Judge the gun. Some have survived better than others.

Pete
Posted By: steve voss Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 01:05 AM
I only own one Pieper, a Bayard hammergun. It's not a best, but it's very nice and my everyday shooter.

Don't overlook them.

Posted By: canvasback Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 02:51 AM
Steve, I like that hammer gun!

I'm home now and Pete has beat me to the punch by posting a photo of my better quality boxlock Pieper. Here are two more, same sliding lockup connected to the top lever as the better Pieper, both are 16 gauge, almost identical but for the engraving. In fact, they are just four serial numbers apart.

Posted By: canvasback Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 02:59 AM
Pete, is that skeleton butt plate from the sidelock pictured above it? Don't remember seeing that picture before.

Looks like the little bit of engraving on it is thematically matched to the rest of the engraving on the gun.

I mention it because my better boxlock, which has very similar vine engraving, has a skeleton butt plate but the engraving on it has nothing to do with the rest of it. Although I do think it is original to the gun.

James
Posted By: von Falkenhorst Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 03:10 AM
With the exception of the United States, the whole world holds Belgian guns in high esteem. Sophisticated Americans take advantage of the old canard about "Belgian clunkers" and acquire fine Liege smoothbores at modest prices.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst
Posted By: King Brown Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 10:43 AM
The captain of the first US Olympic trap team, Charlie Billings, chose a 26-inch mid grade 12ga Francotte for his grouse gun. He wasn't shy of cash. I have it now. Paid $800.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 08:36 PM
Thanks to Marc for finding this image. It actually shows a rather late Pieper patent.

Our sauer expert found the patent for this gun:

German patent No. 73747, which was filed in German patent office on April 21, 1893 by Henri Pieper, Liege, Belgium.

Pete
Posted By: PeteM Re: Henri Peiper - 08/04/12 10:43 PM
James,

I believe it is. Not sure who originally posted those images.

Pete
Posted By: eightbore Re: Henri Peiper - 08/05/12 09:17 PM
My only Peiper is a 12 gauge hammer gun. It is one wonderful gun in great condition except for a couple of "embellishments" that should be corrected. A friend who monitors this site owns a small covey of Peipers, one a ten gauge that I would love to own. Oddly, I helped him purchase it in a weak moment.
Posted By: 6878mm Re: Henri Peiper - 08/06/12 09:47 PM
Anybody got any idea where I can source hammers for this Peiper, I have looked at Dyson`s in the UK
I cannot figure how to measure the throw, anybody help there??
Posted By: reb87 Re: Henri Peiper - 08/09/12 05:20 PM
I have a few, they are well made, somewhere between savage and Parker quality. I remember one in dgj that had Damascus barrels with the pattern including the name"peiper" over and over , pretty neat.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Henri Peiper - 08/09/12 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: reb87
I have a few, they are well made, somewhere between savage and Parker quality. I remember one in dgj that had Damascus barrels with the pattern including the name"peiper" over and over , pretty neat.

There is a gun enthusiast who recently (last year) bought an old Pieper hammer gun for not very much money. Barrels had been blued but he thought they were Damascus. A little bit of effort after the purchase revealed that they too had the name Pieper woven into the Damascus pattern.
Posted By: ASavageFox Re: Henri Peiper - 09/18/12 07:40 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

There is a gun enthusiast who recently (last year) bought an old Pieper hammer gun for not very much money. Barrels had been blued but he thought they were Damascus. A little bit of effort after the purchase revealed that they too had the name Pieper woven into the Damascus pattern.
Originally Posted By: canvasback

sounds interesting...wonder how many are out there....

laugh smile
Posted By: canvasback Re: Henri Peiper - 09/18/12 11:37 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder who it might be? LOL
Posted By: CJO Re: Henri Peiper - 09/18/12 09:18 PM
Belgian gus are junk?.....Ha! put that in your "Peiper" and smoke it

CJ
Posted By: PeteM Re: Henri Peiper - 09/18/12 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: CJO

Pete
Posted By: ASavageFox Re: Henri Peiper - 09/20/12 04:27 AM
Originally Posted By: CJO

CJ

its Pieper... come on man, its right there on the barrels!! smile Yeah, bunch of junk here... better see if I can find someone to take it off my hands!

Terrible selection of wood of this POS Belgian gun also!!

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Henri Peiper - 09/20/12 12:34 PM
Those Belgium Brownings were nice.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com