doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 02:10 AM
For some of the old timers. There was a time when a post market second set of barrels could be ordered. These barrels were made and fitted in Belgium. I think in the 1950s. Any one remember these offerings?? Who offered them?? I recently bought an Ithaca with a second set of Belgium barrels. Barrels and frame are stamped with Belgium proof marks. Barrels are marked "Made in Belgium." I have seen other makes in similar circumstances. I recall the offerings but can't recall the details. Any one remember?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 02:16 AM
Walt, I was just a young pup back then but as I recall a Sporting goods dealer in Chicago was one of the people who you could go through. Stopeger rings a bell but I do not think that was the right name. A few here are older than I am and should be able to give you the right answer. There were adds in American Rifleman for these barrels. Also there were the ACME marked barrels that were a little later. You see a few Parkers with ACME barrels.
Posted By: LLemke Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 02:26 AM
I have a good friend with a W.C. Scott (?) damascus, that has a set of fluid steel barrels made by Franz Sodia of Austria. It happens to be a 10 ga.

Lenard
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 02:59 AM
Do de name Herb Klein strike a familiar note?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 03:36 AM
Continental Arms was one outfit that offered them.Hardin and Knight in Florida had guns rebarreled in Italy in eary 70s.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 04:09 AM
I have a set of Italian bbls made by one of the Bernadelli's (not Vincencio) of Bohler Steel, sent through Hardin & Knight & fitted to an FE Lefever. It was sent in I believe 1970. While in Italy some custom laws changed & their delivery ran about 3 times as long as promised. In correspondance with them they informed me that as soon as all guns they had in process was completed, due to these changes the service would be discontinued.
PS I seem to recall an Atlas Arms which provided bbls for Parkers & L C Smiths, was thinking they were Spanish made, but could be wrong.
Posted By: james-l Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 04:12 AM
Atlas arms in Chicago supplied and fitted barrels for Parkers and L C Smith guns in the 1960s. Don't remember if they had others makes available.

Jim A.
Posted By: Researcher Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 05:55 AM
A buddy bought a 12-gauge DH-Grade Parker Bros. with straight grip and skeleton butt in 1967 fitted with a set of Italian proofed steel barrels. The gun is serial number 88224, and S.F. Cal Apr. 8, 1899, was scratched in one barrel channel on the forearm. We've been on the lookout for the original barrels for said gun ever since. Anyone with a Parker serialization book that can tell me how it started life?
Posted By: R.R. Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 08:55 AM
Dave, the book says grade 3,"D",12 ga., Titanic steel barrels, no extra options, capped pistol grip, 30" barrels.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 01:02 PM
As I recall the Italian maker Hardin & Knight, used for a reduction in price of about $20.00, would strip the old bbls & use original ribs, lugs etc for the new set. I kept my set intact, but who ever had this one done may not have. Does it look like original Parker ribs?
Posted By: Researcher Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 06:06 PM
The Italian barrels on old 88224 were completely new. I'm sure no part of them came from Meriden. Likewise, I am as sure as I can be that the straight grip stock, trigger guard, and skeleton butt are original to the gun. I see from the Parker Story that the first DH-Grade with Titanic Steel barrels was 86736.
Posted By: Greg Tag Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/11/07 08:09 PM
Friends:

From a report on a rebarrelled Parker.

Re: 12 gauge, GH Grade Parker on a No.2 frame, serial number 86664

The action flat is marked with the expected Parker patent numbers, the serial number, a “G” grade mark, a “2” indicating frame size, and the post 1924 standard Belgian proof mark “Lion over P.V.” which indicates proof for “nitro powders” and the “perron” mark indicating completion of final black powder proof. There is also a Belgian inspectors mark “Star over Y”, indicating inspection by Leon Chesnoy, according to available Belgian government records.

The excellent condition 26” fluid steel barrels are serial numbered to the gun, but are non-factory, and no identification markings are evident on the exposed portions. They are evidently of skillful workmanship. The current fluid steel barrels bear standard Belgian post 1924 proof marks, including the “Lion over P.V.” mark, the “Horseshoe” chamber /gauge mark denoting 12 gauge and 70mm (2-3/4”) chambers. There is also the proof year date code, a lower case Greek letter “gamma”, indicating the proof year as 1950. The barrel inspectors mark is “Star over V”, indicating inspection by Isador Macon. The name “ARMAF DAGUN” appears on each barrel flat, as well. Reportedly, Armaf was a well-known 1950’s era Belgian gunsmithing firm which did a large trade in rebarrelling quality American double barrel shotguns.

What happened to ARMAF? Does the trade in rebarrelling like that even exist today?

Regards

GKT
Posted By: tanky Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/12/07 03:00 AM
Are there any outfits that can make a set of Parker barrels today? I have a nice DH grade 12Ga with a #3 frame. The original set of damascus barrels have been cut short and excessively honed out. I thought I might make a heavy duck gun out of it that can handle hard shot.
Posted By: doublegunhq Re: After Market Belgium Barrels - 02/12/07 03:16 AM
There was a D grade on GB not too long ago with TWO sets of aftermarket bbls made in Italy, you might be able to snag that. The seller was stinkpot and the gun didn't sell, so I presume he still has it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com