doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AmarilloMike American wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 03:37 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/sports...ds.html?src=twr

Under the picture showing the Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal winners the caption has the phrase "and Danka Bartekova of Slovakia earned the bronze medal in a shootout." I assume they meant shoot-off.

And Ms. Rhode was using a double gun, albeit an over and under. Notice the position of her forehand and how long that stock is.
Mike, thanks
Posted By: rabbit Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 03:50 PM
Yup, she's way back there. Olympic Road Race (cycling) yesterday. Vinokourov, the Kazak, came first. No Americans top three.
Posted By: kopkai Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 05:10 PM
Can anyone identify the O/U that she is using? Is it a Baretta?
Posted By: kopkai Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 05:15 PM
Opps! I meant a Beretta. She is probably wearing a Barette!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 05:18 PM
Individual medals for Ms. Rhode in 5 consecutive Olympics, which is an American record. And she's certainly young enough to keep the streak going. Bravo!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 05:22 PM
Kim Rhode shoots a Perazzi, has since she was a little kid. I thought that medalling in five consecutive Olympics in an individual sport was an Olympic record, not an American record.
Kim shoots Perazzi guns.

SRH
Posted By: Salopian Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 06:23 PM
I was led to believe that Team USA were to be Krieghoff sponsored at the 2012 London Olympics????
They are sponsoring certain shooters, like Corey Cogdell, but I don't know if they are helping sponsor the team as a whole, or not. Even if they are, it wouldn't make any sense to require a shooter to use a different gun than that which they have been using their whole career.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 08:16 PM
Anyone get any "coverage" of the skeet final? I got the pair at 7 and a single shot (option?) midfield--maybe 4. [later: found a replay on computer, looks like the big pink slab indicates she took two shots at 8 so guess she wasn't strait] That Perazzi stock does look like a lot to bring out and up from the stripe, particularly as Ms. Rhode doesn't appear to be long of limb. This is first time I can remember getting actual coverage of the Olympic cycling road race (if Jim Legg could know, he'd have a fit!). NBC apparently is getting the hang of coverage for the "niche" sports. Big improvement over Tim McCarver selling Coke for two weeks in the Nagano studio.

jack
Posted By: rabbit Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 09:02 PM
Just noticed Rhode give a little uptick to the barrels before the appearance of the bird. How much movement can you get away with? Apparently this much anyway as no call.

jack
They do a nice job with their coverage of the Tour de France, over on the newly-renamed NBC Sports Network f/k/a Versus f/k/a Outdoor Life Channel. Seeing as how the Tour wound up a week ago, they just sent the whole crew across the Channel with a month's worth of teamwork under their belt. Still, the English country roads were nice to see.

They seem to have done a nice job on the water polo - they had one or two of the folks who call NHL hockey cover it, and they sounded giddy from excitement: "it's barbaric inside the 5 meter!"

Back to skeet - they did show her winning shot and noted she shot 99/100 to win, but it was without context.
I doubt she took the option shot at Station 8. This is not NSSA skeet.
I refereed Kim when she won the gold in Trap Doubles in Atlanta when she was 17 years old. She likes a long stock and has always used a Perazzi. MX 12, I think.
Pretty to watch, a natural shooter, who shoots 2 flats per day in practice.
Well see how she does in Women`s Trap`!
Posted By: rabbit Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/29/12 09:17 PM
Yeh,on the replay, I saw her shoot two at 8. Is the bunker under 8 the trap bunker?

jack
She also shoot a hydrocoil, make sense when you think of the shells she shoots. Had a friend in IN who's daughter was on the Olympic team. UPS dilivered flats of shells every week.

bill
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 12:25 AM
Rabbit, straight or not straight, all shooters shoot one high house and one low house at station eight. There is no "option". Yes, the "bunker" under station eight is the location of the fifteen traps that throw the single trap birds. Some of those traps also throw the doubles trap birds.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 12:27 AM
By the way, apparently the five consecutive medals is a USA record, not an Olympic record as I earlier misspoke.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 12:28 AM
Quote:
She averages 500 to 1,000 rounds a day, seven days a week.

That is a LOT of trigger time.
Posted By: dogon Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 01:06 AM
Watch her shooting today.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/browse/index.html#sx=sports&cx=shooting
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 01:56 AM
Dogon, is it me or my computer? I open the site you pasted and I get to watch the BMW commercial and then the video screen goes blank. Is there something else I am supposed to open? If I can get that site to work, it would be GREAT for all events to see. Thanks and I hope I am having a senior moment.
Originally Posted By: Doverham
Quote:

750 rounds per day, 7 days a week works out to 273,000 rounds per year. If she can buy shells for $4.50 per box and shoot skeet for $6 per round that works out to $115,000 per year. She is independently wealthy or she has a sponsor somewhere.
Originally Posted By: Dave Katt
Dogon, is it me or my computer? I open the site you pasted and I get to watch the BMW commercial and then the video screen goes blank. Is there something else I am supposed to open? If I can get that site to work, it would be GREAT for all events to see. Thanks and I hope I am having a senior moment.

Dave, I just waited and the video started after the short BMW commercial. Very good video.

SRH
Posted By: 775 Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 03:35 AM
A sponser or twelve MIGHT be involved......:)

Very good for her!
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: American wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 04:10 AM
This is an old article but it mentions that Winchester delivers pallets to her and has even developed loads for her.

http://www.eliteshooters.com/articles/kimrhode.html
Posted By: Chuck H Re: American wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 04:38 AM
When I first saw her, she shot a Beretta gas gun (pre 390) 20g. She shot that gun for years.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 07:15 AM
Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Quote:

750 rounds per day, 7 days a week works out to 273,000 rounds per year. If she can buy shells for $4.50 per box and shoot skeet for $6 per round that works out to $115,000 per year. She is independently wealthy or she has a sponsor somewhere.

Don't know if you'ld call him a sponser or a patron,,
Jim Mitchell owner of Oak Tree Gun Club has set up not only an International Skeet field for Kim, but also a bunker trap field.
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 12:32 PM
If you have an iDevice, you can downlaod the APP and connect the iDevice to your digital TV to watch a myriad of sports.
I watched the Skeet match and 10m Air Pistol that way.
Far better than waiting for NBC TV to show anything when it wants.
Ms Rhode is great, have been watching her for a number of years.
Shw could probably win with an 870!-Dick
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 02:06 PM
Good for Kim, she makes me so proud I could just s--t. Maybe when it's all over, Jay Leno will have her on his show, since she is a "gear head" in addition to being a shooter. We could get a sponsor also,if we could shoot like she can. I suspect that in the long run,she brings more to the sponsors than they pay out. Again, good for you Kim!
Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 03:28 PM
It is quite common for US Team members to get help with expenses if they are not also military team members. When a shooter is made a member of the US Team, sometimes a gun company will make a concession on the price of a gun or guns. Sometimes ammo companies will ship ammunition to the shooter. There is nothing unusual about this. It's been going on forever.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 03:42 PM
Chuck, she may have shot a Beretta auto for years, but the photo spread on the NBC site shows her shooting Perazzis when she appears to be about twelve years old. I guess we could ask her what guns she shot other than Perazzis and when.
Some top sporting clay shooters get several new guns given to them each year by their sponsor. I have a friend who is given 2 or 3 K-80s each year. He is free to sell them, use them or do whatever he wants with them.

Shells are sometimes free, too. And thousands a year in expense money to enter shoots and for lodging and meals.

As was said above, it doesn't really cost the sponsoring company, it pays them. But, the shooters have to produce wins to earn these percs.

SRH
Kim was on one of the Outdoor Channel shows for awhile and quit to practice for the 2008 Olympics. Some shot, and to see her shoot and to watch when she opens the gun and catches the empties.

I believe her only contribution, which is the greatest, is her practice time. I'm sure shells and gear are supplied by various sponsers.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 09:47 PM
Quote:
750 rounds per day, 7 days a week works out to 273,000 rounds per year.

Perazzis can take a pounding better than most, but after a couple years, there can't be too many original parts left on that gun (other than the stock perhaps).

I have had a few 250-300 round days and was happy to call it a day. I guess 750 +/- rounds may be typical for a dove shoot in SA, but even then most don't shoot that volume for more than 3-4 days. I wonder what it does to her physically to take that kind of recoil on a daily basis for years and years?
They had her on Today this morning - a nice piece like they're doing for all the medal winners. She came across really well.

She wouldn't admit to crying during the anthem when the host tried to back her into it....
Posted By: Genelang Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 10:55 PM
She was shooting a Perazzi in Atlanta in 1996. It was stolen, and she was given another (or bought another). She said it took some getting used to but continued to shoot it even after her original gun was recovered.

She set an Olympic record, 99/100.
Posted By: btdtst Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/30/12 11:04 PM
I was amazed and happy that the USA Today paper actually devoted more than a half page covering Kim's accomplishment. Plus, beneath that coverage was a very good article about shooters in general. I was stunned by their meaningful and unbiased reporting.
Quote:
750 rounds per day, 7 days a week works out to 273,000 rounds per year.

Perazzis can take a pounding better than most, but after a couple years, there can't be too many original parts left on that gun (other than the stock perhaps).

I have had a few 250-300 round days and was happy to call it a day. I guess 750 +/- rounds may be typical for a dove shoot in SA, but even then most don't shoot that volume for more than 3-4 days. I wonder what it does to her physically to take that kind of recoil on a daily basis for years and years?

I was told that the Army uses Perazzis on their shooting teams and that they have documented well over a million rounds through an individual gun.

The pounding that Kim's body takes is even more astounding to me than the gun. I have shot 1625 shells in a day, 1000 of those in three hours, 7/8 oz. loads. Although I experienced no ill effects from the recoil, except a slight headache, I can't even imagine the cumulative effect of doing it days, weeks and months on end. Four days at a time is aplenty for me.

SRH
Posted By: Claybird Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 01:13 PM
A couple of points:

Kim is a great woman and a great shooter.

There is no option in International Skeet.

Yesterday, watching Fox & Friends, they had a long segment on the Olympics, showing many / most of the medal winners (and losers), but not one word about Kim's extraordinary achievement!
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 01:23 PM
Makes me wonder---Where were all the girls like Kim when I was young and good looking? A woman like that would be worth the cost of ammunition to keep her happy.
Posted By: Birdog Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 03:11 PM
The way that lady breaks targets put's the proverbial wrench into gun fit theory. laugh smile
Her MX2000 is stocked to her liking that is for sure.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 04:16 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150969892168093.421611.595918092&type=1

Here are some photos - I just got home from the event. The winner had a very aggressive style and never looked like dropping a shot. Shoot off for Bronze was exciting. The Silver medalist dropped just one target in the final. But he was playing catch-up. Very impressive shooting. Of course, they waited until it started raining before they began the final!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 04:48 PM
Diggory, will you be attending the trap events this weekend? At the skeet finals at Atlanta in 1996, we experienced heavy rain all day. The vendors sold yellow ponchos and my wife Linda got the last one available. The shooters didn't mind the rain, but the spectators were a bit bothered.
Posted By: CBL1 Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 07/31/12 10:01 PM
I am at the Olympic Trap qualification this Sunday and am really looking forward to it. Simply being part of the atmosphere and seeing the site will be splendid.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/01/12 01:27 PM
My first coach (informal) for International Skeet, back in 1972, at the Gulf Coast Open at then Remuda Ranch, now Port of the Islands, in the Everglades, was a woman from Canada (can't now remember her name)who held, at that time, the womans' world record for IS. A wonderful woman and a great shot.

In my opinion it is a shame the ISO has now made the game so difficult only shooters who practice almost every day have a chance.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/01/12 06:57 PM
Quote:
In my opinion it is a shame the ISO has now made the game so difficult only shooters who practice almost every day have a chance.

Isn't that the case for all competitive clay disciplines? Even in the "easier" games like ATA Trap and NSSA Skeet, the top shooters practice at that frequency.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/02/12 12:26 AM
Her "sponsor" is USA Shooting.
Went to the barbershop today and, in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, they had a very nice article on Kim.
Posted By: Birdog Re: American wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/04/12 03:59 PM
Some very impressive shooting by Jessica Rossi of Italy - 75/75 in trap. She finished with 99. Came into the final with a new world record and two points ahead of her nearest rival and went on to stretch that lead to six targets over the final, setting a new final world record in the process.

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/e...=9012012080412

http://www.london2012.com/shooting/event/women-trap/phase=shw401100/index.html
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/05/12 05:37 PM
Kim has always shot a Perazzi. She shot an MX-12 with 29 inch barrels, a field dimension stock and a flat rib for many years. It was stolen out of her car in California after the 96 Olympics in Sep. 2008.
Perazzi made her a new gun (MX-2000)after the first one was stolen. Within the year or so her original gun was recovered. Apparently, she is still shooting the new one. It was what she shot to win this time.
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Amererican wins Gold in Olympic Skeet - 08/05/12 05:41 PM
[/quote]

[/quote]

She has won 5 Olympic medals over the course of 5 Olympics and innumerable world and national level championships. Gee, ya think she has a sponsor?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com