doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Beagle Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/18/12 11:30 PM
On vacation in Portland. Anyone know of any good gunshops in the area? Good time to visit Maine, due to record catch, lobsters are cheap now, selling @ less per pound than baloney.
L.L. Bean in Freeport has a few used doubles.

Cabela's in Scarborough has some, but fewer and fewer all the time.

The Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, ME, has a lot. They're about 45 minutes south.

Wildwood in China, ME, has a bunch. They're about an hour north.

OWD
Posted By: Beagle Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 02:13 AM
Thanks for the information. Going to Bean tomorrow, will try to work in a visit to Kittery. I have enjoyed reading Dogs and Doubles, looking forward to new posts.
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 04:58 AM
If you continue north on Route 1 from Freeport you will find a gun shop about 3 miles or so on the right. It's called C&R Trading post. Not exactly known for doubles but you never know what you'll find. If you're heading north at all on the Maine Turnpike there is a shop off the Gray exit called Howell's. He's got some doubles. Turn left when you leave the turnpike and it's on the left about half a mile down Rt 202.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 01:05 PM
If you go out 302 to Raymond, you'll hit a small place on the right called "Tailfeathers Outdoor Store", just past a light at the bottom of the hill. It's a basic one-man roadside/lakeside bait, tackle, hunting gear, dog and dog training and guns and ammo store, run by a local who is a pretty good birddog trainer and avid woodcock hunter. You can admire the nice partridge he has mounted - huge. You never know what he'll have in stock because he gets consignments all the time.

About a mile before you get to Tailfeathers on the left side of 302 is a place called "Gulf of Maine Gunsmithing". It's a bit of a bunker set back off the road behind his anti-Obama sign du jour. It seems to me more a place to get black guns and handguns but he might have some doubles in stock.

If you're going to Wildwood it's probably a good idea to call ahead, because it is sorta out in the country (can be a bit hard to find the turn the first time you go) and calling makes sure the guy will be there. I heard he has an 8 gauge Parker in stock.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 01:11 PM
Prices got so low, the lobstermen were tying up rather than go out. They were paying for the privilege of working - and that's about as hard a job as there is. Supposedly, it'll take a couple weeks for the processing plant backlog to work itself out.

But last I heard live lobsters were retailing 3.99/lb at the dock in Portland.

If you want a pretty drive, head up the coast to Camden and Rockland - very scenic. If you make it all the way to Castine, so much the better.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 02:07 PM
Coles in Harpswell has some of pretty, custom Berettas and Zolis on hand, but that may not be what you had in mind. It is about 50 mins N of Portland - if you are going to Freeport, you are about halfway.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/19/12 02:15 PM
The drive out to Harpswell is both easy and pretty. Go to Brunswick and the Bowdoin College campus, hang a right, and follow the center of the peninsula. There are places along the way from Brunswick to Coles (or even past it) where one can get some good seafood and enjoy the scenery.

The turnoff for Coles is another one you really have to be looking for to see it. They're on the left as you head down the peninsula.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Gunshops in Portland, Maine? - 07/20/12 12:22 AM
Don't know if you are interested in decoys or bird carvings, but if so, find you way to the Wendell Gilley Museum in Southwest Harbor.

http://www.wendellgilleymuseum.org/
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com