doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Old Joe Question on stock drop - 07/07/12 02:13 PM
Conventional shot gun stocks have less drop at comb than heel. I have heard of parallel comb stocks with same drop at comb and heel.

How about stocks with more drop at comb than heel? Sonething like 1 3/4 at comb and 1 1/2 at heel? Are they common on trap guns and similar? Theoretically at least that would allow the stock to recoil away from the cheek. Is there a name for this type of set up? Thanks for replies.

Joe
Posted By: GF1 Re: Question on stock drop - 07/07/12 02:18 PM
I've heard it refered to as a reverse comb stock, as you allude.

As to why it's not more popular, I think it has to do with physique. This sort of stock, while it would definitely lessen any impact with the cheek, would simply not fit many folks. Not many people with shoulders higher than their cheek.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Question on stock drop - 07/07/12 03:36 PM
I remember that back in my youth, they had a late Parker GHE 16-gauge with the reverse comb in the Safari Room of the Sporting Goods department at Fredrick & Nelson department store in downtown Seattle. Lots of people looked at it, but it took a long time before anyone bought that odd stock. Nowadays they'd probably be fighting over it as a rare "collectible"!!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on stock drop - 07/07/12 06:49 PM
Most of the ones that slope toward the front have a MONTE CARLO comb. you see them on trap guns a lot, and on hard recoiling sporting rifles, like the old Weatherby magnums.

But they usually have an area between the rear of the comb and the heel where the comb abruptly drops back down and blends into the heel, allowing for a normal sized buttplate, otherwise the buttplate would be very tall and ungainly.

Is that what you are referring to, or one where the top of the comb is a straight line to the heel?

SRH
Posted By: Geo Re: Question on stock drop - 07/07/12 06:55 PM
For a number of years I shot a Winchester 101 "American Flyer"
Live Bird combo which had a reverse comb stock. I like a stock just a tad higher than most, and this one, combined with it's high ramped rib suited me to a tee. Had my gunsmith rework the stock to provide some additional cast-off.
Shot it very well at Trap, Skeet, Sporting and 5-Stand.
Compared to a standard 101, I felt it had considerably less felt recoil.

A number of other seasoned shooters shot it well & without difficulty ....and weren't even aware of the reverse comb.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com