doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Small Bore Disassembling a boxlock - 06/17/12 03:33 PM
http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/disassembling-boxlocks

I just took a load of photos of the removal process for the lock work in an A&D boxlock. I thought some may find it interesting to see. Click the link to see the photo sequence.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/17/12 04:27 PM
Dig:
While it is laudable that you've taken these photos, I fear there is just enough visual information in them to get an amateur into trouble. And a nice boxlock such as the one you illustrate, bashed up in the wrong places.

I pray that the novice DYI crowd will wait for your detailed explanation of the techniques... and a photo of the dismounting tool before they joyfully attack the nearest A&D gun.
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/17/12 04:37 PM
I agree - it is not intended to get the bodgers bashing their boxlocks apart!! I just thought it would be interesting to show the process unfold.

Listen to Kensal people and please put the hammer away immediately!
Posted By: wburns Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 02:52 AM
I bashed the crap out of mine today after seeing that!

Seriously, great illustration of the process.
Posted By: sxsman1 Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 09:36 AM
Thank You Dig, I like this and any more you would be willing to post later.
My guns aren't as nice as that one (low grade American boxlocks) but they are basicly the same mechanically.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 10:47 AM
Nice job Dig.

Don't worry about what people will do with the information. This isn't how to build WMD or a national security breach. wink
Posted By: popplecop Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 12:25 PM
Thanks, very informative.
Posted By: Bilious Bob Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 01:06 PM
Hoooowee!
Good ta see our staff of gun savvy perfesional experts is back from a tuff weekend of NASCAR an Lite beer!

And dem gun pics is mighty tempty. I do believe I'm gonna head fer ma Craftsman toolbox, grab ma vice rips and go ta town on ol Bestsy!

thanx fer the back-up guys!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 04:01 PM
Dr B BS,
Don't firgit the 24 Hr LeMans. It was telecast live for the entire race. I watched bits of the first day and some of the night and then the finish. Incredible speeds and dominated by hybrids.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/18/12 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Bilious Bob
Hoooowee!
Good ta see our staff of gun savvy perfesional experts is back from a tuff weekend of NASCAR an Lite beer!

And dem gun pics is mighty tempty. I do believe I'm gonna head fer ma Craftsman toolbox, grab ma vice rips and go ta town on ol Bestsy!

thanx fer the back-up guys!
You might want to borrow my Jack Rowe Video on working on fine Limey Guns- he and Larry Potterfield put that baby out in 2009--and it's the Bible for double guns-- If you use Vise-Grips and Craftsman tools on your matched set of Churchill SLE XXV bird guns, you probably take off your hemmorhoids with a blow-torch--Good luck!!
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/19/12 08:41 PM
Excellent, thanks for posting.
One question,I note you have drifted the pegs from right to left,but the last one has been done from left to right.
I always thought they had to go one way,however I have found most of the British boxlocks I have taken apart did not seem to have any taper on the pins so I'm guesing its not critical?

Cheers,

GDU
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/19/12 09:53 PM
I too had picked up somewhere that pins should go in and out of the left side. In fact, I've made pins with taper on purpose to tighten in the frame as they went in.
Posted By: James M Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/19/12 10:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I too had picked up somewhere that pins should go in and out of the left side. In fact, I've made pins with taper on purpose to tighten in the frame as they went in.

This(left to right) seems to have become the "standard" over the years but I have no idea how and when it evolved.
Jim
Posted By: gunman Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/20/12 06:39 PM
Right in , left out . Easy way to remember .As long as you remember which is left and right when the gun is upside down and back to front in the vice .
Posted By: gunman Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/20/12 06:41 PM
Actualy you will find that with most boxlocks it dose not realy matter .
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 06/20/12 07:09 PM
[quote=gunman]Right in , left out ..../quote]

confused

Gunman,
Did your statement mean "in TO the right, out TO the left"??? Otherwise, I don't follow why that would make sense mechanically. Can you explain?
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 07/16/12 07:16 PM
Gunman. Good speech with the left, right and upside down thing. I never cease to amaze myself with my own stupidity when working on things downside up. My favourite has to be fitting triggers, turning the plate the right way around then wondering how the hell I've managed to put the front trigger on the left... Again.
It gets me every time. It's getting to the point where I'm gonna have to write instructions on the workshop wall.

I suppose there's a lot of truth in the saying...

The man that never made a mistake finishes work at 5 everyday !
Posted By: ed good Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 07/16/12 07:50 PM
torch? did someone say torch?

just the thought makes me salivate...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 07/16/12 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
torch? did someone say torch?

just the thought makes me salivate...
As in drool maybe? But unfortunately, not enough spit to extinguish the old neutral flame of 60000 F at the cone- and God only knows how many guns you have warped and damaged with your "Flammengraffer Gunsmithy" process- you should sell that torch set and the tanks and regulators and retire-
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 07/19/12 05:24 PM
Just checked out the vintageguns website. Read the article 'not just another boring boxlock' ... Fantastic piece of work. How do you find time to learn and write all this stuff, never mind work , eat and sleep too ?
Bloody marvellous. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Disassembling a boxlock - 07/19/12 09:54 PM
Something you may notice is that Dig leaves his axles in the frame wall no matter which way drifted "out". Something in my ill-conceived gun-bodging tells me this is important. Anyone else think so? If so, why? Don't rush; I know the answer--at least for me. Cup-headed drifts are also good. Should be called pushpins but pins always need turnscrews. Piece of work, our cousins!

jack
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com