doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ballistix999 Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 06:08 PM
Excitedely picked up, like a smay ball unable to contain himself walking into a sweet shop, I’ve been waiting for this. Anyway, the stocker, Colin, had done the most unbelievable job. Sharp edges, perfect lines, drops in perfect place. I am so happy. Clearly it’s very light at the momentn however, I’ve just added the first Alkanet roo coat and it’s already darkening up. The photos of the action on the stock are not from my camera (forgot it) so they are not up to the usual standard.

Over the next few days I’ll be getting that colour right before the oiling starts.

...and a few more..

Posted By: CJO Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 06:56 PM
Obviously this chap's done this once or twice before....Kudos to your stocker......superb job!!

Best

CJ
Posted By: PA24 Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 07:00 PM
Outstanding Tony.........you're probably like a kid with two peters about now........ smile

Super job mate,
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 07:55 PM
Hi Tony,
How do you mix up your alkenet root stain? Up until recently I've used a stain I made by soaking ground alkenet root in alcohol. Recently I soaked some ground alkanet root in some modified (dryer added) linseed oil "Original Finish" I purchased from Track of the Wolf, gunsmith supply. I haven't tried it yet but the oil has taken on a nice dark red color.
Steve
PS the stock work is superb, absolutely beautiful!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 10:36 PM
That stocker iss GOOD! Real good....
It's mixed with linseed based oil and left to marinate for at least 2 years before it is used. The stuff Lee gave me is 8 years old! Here are 3 pictures of the stock after the first coat of Alkanet Oil!

Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/03/12 10:55 PM
Interesting Tony, the alkanet root I have has been ground into a powder comparable to finely ground coffee. Is your oil made from marinating whole pieces of root in the oil or is the root ground like mine? If not I'd suspect that by grinding the root and exponentially increasing the surface area of the root one could shorten the marinating time significantly.
Steve
BTW I purchased my alkanet root from a "natural food suppliment" supplier.
Posted By: Flintfan Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/04/12 01:07 AM
It always amazes me when I see inletting done to this level. I have been building guns my whole life, and I think I have reached a fair level of competence and neatness in my work. When I see work at this level though, everything I have done looks like it has been done by a butcher.

What I wouldn't give to watch over the shoulder of one of these masters for just one day.
Posted By: Philbert Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/04/12 01:48 AM
Absolutely fabulous, Tony. It looks like the wood just grew around the furniture. Your stocker is truly gifted. The fiddle back (if that's the right description) really "popped" with the first coat of oil. It's going to be gorgeous when finished.

Phil
Very very nice. The inletting work is just jaw-dropping.

And I can see the wood is going to darken up and pop the contrast very nicely. It's going to look amazing when its done.
Looking good Tony. Keep putting that oil on every day. You cannot over -do it. Rubbing in the finishing oil will lighten it later. The longer you keep putting on the red oil, the darker the figure will become, the lighter wood will remain lighter but contrast will get better.

Just use linseed oil and get some alkanet root dried in rough chips or whatever form you can Spice world sells it on the internet. Fill a jar almost to the top with root, pour on oil to cover, put the top on and leave it for as long as you can. Shake or turn it every few days to begin with. The oil will go blood red.
Indescribable....beautiful. Kudos to you and the stock maker.
Posted By: gunman Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/04/12 05:58 PM
Tony to save time there are a number of good ready made oils available Mike Smart dose a good one. Dont have his number but Jeff T or Mike D will know it .
Do you scrape off the black marks left after the final inletting, or do you have a solvent that removes the marks ?
Gunman, thanks, Lee Butler and his team have set me up with their stuff so I'm trying it all.

Daryll nope. Leave all that no need to fiddle and start scratching the wood.

Here are some pictures first after 3 coats and me putting some more on!

Man! That's gonna be what the old timers in this country would call "a Humdinger!"
Posted By: keith Re: Purdey Bar in Wood - Stock Back! - PICS - 04/05/12 01:30 AM
Tony, it looks great. And it is much appreciated that you not only show us what you do, but that you also tell us how you do it.
This is what good inletting looks like..........

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

C.
Tony, that is cool!!

In this neck of the woods, we would call that a "moaner"!!!

CB
Hi fellas, here we are 6 coats in...onwards and upwards!

Very nice! I've always here that a bar-in-wood stock is one of the harder stocking jobs (as if there was an easy one) but your stocker certainly had no trouble with it. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Thanks for posting!

Adam
That looks lovely!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com