doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ballistix999 Manton and Co - 03/23/12 04:55 PM
A good friend of mine picked me up to go to Holts on Tuesday evening. I managed to hobble around the place but in truth shouldn’t have gone.

However, I was caught by a little 28 bore Manton and Co. Manton and Co was setup by Josephs son in India. However a company called Wallis, who also purchased the Samual Nock's business (Nigel Brown), purchased Manton and Co and I am assuming that the gun would have been made in London or more likely Birmingham. Others more knowledgable will put me straight I hope!

Sadly, because of this, I can't date it. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

This is quite an emotional gun for me. I want to finish it for Will because it's natural progression from his .410. Which he shoots so well. I'm so proud. It's off to my mate Ed Monday for him to work his magic. I've taken a punt on this..It could fail proof...but if it doens't it it'll be magic!

Tony

Posted By: trw999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:03 PM
Nice wee gun there Tony and Will looks chuffed to bits with it too!

It'll be wonderful when you have worked your magic on it.

Tim
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:15 PM
It looks nice and Will should have a great time with it, but what gauge is it?
Steve
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:35 PM
Whoops! 28 Bore. smile I've amended my post..
Posted By: dave michno Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:54 PM
Tony - Lovely little 28 - bore. Looks like it will be in good hands, God Bless,
Dave
Posted By: skeettx Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:54 PM
Sweet. Handsome piece
Thanks for sharing
Mike
Posted By: Buzz Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 05:58 PM
Tony: It appears your son is thrilled with his new 28 bore! Very pretty shotgun.
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 06:56 PM
The young fella look's pretty proud dad ,fine job!!!
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 08:47 PM
1. What are the ramifications in England of a gun "failing proof"?

2. Does that mean it can't be legally sold?

3. Does a seller have to refund the purchase price?

4. What if it was purchased at auction?

5. Can the owner legally shoot/hunt with an out-of-proof shotgun?

6. Would a hunt club or public shooting range prohibit its use?

JERRY
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 10:18 PM
Cool gun, Tony, with TONS of potential. I look at it and see how it will look once you're done with it - beautiful! And yeah, your son is obviously pleased with his new gun. You're right, it'll be a natural progression from his .410 and he'll be able to hang with this gun for quite awhile - it's a REAL gauge, you know? Not so dodgy as a .410 (don't beat me Chuck H!)
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: jerry66stl

JERRY

and what are the actual physical characteristics of a gun which "fails proof" after the proof test?
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 10:46 PM
Hi, great questions. Answers as I believe them...

You can't sell or use it legally.

Correct. It is illegal to seel such a gun. Gun Dealers can hold them though.

Almost certainly. But not sure on legal ramifications. Dig or Toby, someone else is sure to give you a proper answer.

It is illegal to sell a gun at auction out of proof.

If you own it yes. At your own risk. Guns fall out of proof through normal use.

How would they know? smile
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Manton and Co - 03/23/12 11:47 PM
3. If anybody sells a gun out of proof in the UK, they commit an offence. The gun is clearly not 'fit for use' and would therefore fall foul of Trading Standards laws. any dealer would certainly be better off quietly refunding the money, a private individual may be harder to deal with but ultimately could be threatened with the law for having committed an offence by selling an out of prof gun.

However, if you submit a gun to proof and it fails, you wear the cost.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Manton and Co - 03/24/12 03:25 PM
What a nice looking gun! Is there a reason I don't see or missed that it may not pass proof? I think it is a beautiful gun.
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/24/12 03:48 PM
It's a black powder only atm. But the barrels are steel. The risk is that it has some pits so I've taken a real punt with it. All down to my barrel man Monday! Whos is a wizard!
T
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 06:21 AM
Hey, Dig, do Birmingham proof house re-proof using Black Powder ifn you ask for it so it stays like that and doesn't risk full proof? I wonder..
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 06:14 PM
Kirby Foote has listed for sale a 28 ga English hammer double with text to the effect that finding English hammer 28s is about as common as finding fresh horse-leavings under the back end of a wooden hobbyhorse.

Looks like you found a good one here, Tony - did that rarity angle have any weight in your decision to buy this gun?
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 06:42 PM
AND looks to have a nice piece of wood, in proper straight-grip format. Heel and toe plates too Tony?

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Kirby Foote has listed for sale a 28 ga English hammer double with text to the effect that finding English hammer 28s is about as common as finding fresh horse-leavings under the back end of a wooden hobbyhorse.

Looks like you found a good one here, Tony - did that rarity angle have any weight in your decision to buy this gun?
Posted By: gunman Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 08:22 PM
Birmingham and London proof will reproof for black powder .They will only reproof if the gun was originaly black powder .
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 08:57 PM
Hammerguy, yes I think the wood under there is nice. It's got something you know. The barrels are clearly the risk. It's one I have to take...otherwise I might consider sleeving it.

Gunman thanks for the confirmation. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of difference pressure wise.
Posted By: PA24 Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
I'm guessing there isn't a lot of difference pressure wise.

Tony, there is quite a "difference" between black and smokeless in the pressure arena if that is what you mean in the above post..?.......the proof house can give you hard numbers for the pressure spike, black vs smokeless 28 ga.......
Posted By: HammerGuy Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 09:45 PM
Are the barrels thin? Is that what has you worried?
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/25/12 11:06 PM
Thanks Doug. I think the pressures just happen at different points up the barrels..I'll take advice. The other problem is that I don't think you can buy 28 guage black powder shells over here you have to load em. Will check! Unless any UK guys know of a source.

HammerGuy, no just pits, but that could be enough. Tomorrow is acid test with Ed my barrel man...will report back good or bad news tomorrow for sure!
Posted By: PA24 Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Thanks Doug. The other problem is that I don't think you can buy 28 guage black powder shells over here you have to load em. Will check! Unless any UK guys know of a source.

Tony, I knew we could get you into reloading one way or another..... smile

Cheers,
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 01:36 AM
Tony, the pits will have to go for the gun to pass View.
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 02:31 AM
Got it Dig. It's gonna be a close one smile
Posted By: Salopian Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 04:24 AM
28guage blackpowder reloads? I reload them. smile smile
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 05:28 AM
Really? Well that's the other options...see if Ed can clean em up and then if it remains in proof just shoot it! Hmm...cheers mate..

T
Posted By: John Foster Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 11:13 AM
Ballistix. My advise is don't go black powder for your son. Let him shoot nitro. Don't worry about the proof if it fails I can sleeve it for you. Let me look at it before you put it into proof. If you want to sleeve it I have 28 bore tubes in stock from 26" to 32"
Regards
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 01:47 PM
John, that's brilliant! I've just left Ed Caine and after a lot of discussion we are going to go for proof. There appears to be quite a lote of thickness chamber end where the pits are. We'll also go out to 2 3/4. I've spoken to Sam at the proof house and he's waiting to do it Wednesday! How is that for service. If it fails I'll definately take you up on the sleeving. Thank you.

Regards,
Tony
Posted By: gunman Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 07:50 PM
A gun can be submitted for reproof with some pitting . Provided the bores are clean and bored to a size . It is down to the viewer to make a judgment on whether to accept it for proof and then it will depend on the results of firing.
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/26/12 08:02 PM
Yes, Ed said the same thing today gunman.
Cheers
T
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/28/12 05:06 PM
Hello guys. Well as you know I've had the little gun taken out to 2 3/4 chambers, honend, smoothed and pits taken out after discussion with my brilliant man Ed Caine over at Price Street. I am very very pleased to announce that Sam from the Birmingham proof house called me today to say that the little guns barrels flew through proof. It was quite emotional and VERY exciting for me. Just so very pleased. I can't wait to get started on her tomorrow now!

Just wanted you guys to know we got her through.
Regards,
Tony
Posted By: craigd Re: Manton and Co - 03/28/12 05:28 PM
Terrific update Tony.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Manton and Co - 03/28/12 05:31 PM
Great News!
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Manton and Co - 03/29/12 10:15 AM
Good to hear!
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/29/12 12:49 PM
Got her! Amazing. No pits 26/27 tho in barrels and really thick in the breeh!! VERY happy...now a quick fire and to work!
T
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: Manton and Co - 03/30/12 08:55 AM
Off to shoot her to make sure all is OK and then the strip down begins!
T
Posted By: PA24 Re: Manton and Co - 03/30/12 12:08 PM
Let us know how it shot and what you shot through it Tony........thanks.....

Cheers,
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com