doublegunshop.com - home
I was doing some cleaning of gun safe,have 2 doubles looking to find some info on:
#1- WC Scott Excellentia Triplex,believe to be Kell engraving,has gold star burst on top of barrel and engraving similar to Premier.Ser #40520, recently viewed an excellentia triplex and had less engraving,I did find site that had the model with Kell engraving and this matches the gun I have. The only bad thing is one trigger is broken off,and rib starting to lift in center of barrels.everything still functions.not sure how to post pictures.#2- Ithaca Hammerless 12gauge,30"barrels,Nice Damascus Barrels,rather good shape. Ser # 31872,once again not sure how to post picutres,would appreciate any help on these two.
Not sure what sort of information you're hoping for, but the Scott sounds like it could be well worth getting fixed. The Ithaca has an early serial number; its probably a Crass model made before 1900. Welcome to the forum...Geo
Duckone, welcome to the board. I think you'll find a lot of helpful people here. However, we're not going to be able to help much without good photos and description of each. You might read these instructions on posting photos--really pretty simple once you've done it once. Click on this link:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148935#Post148935
Anyone...Please give a reference to where there is mention of Kell actually engraving a Excellentia or Premier.

Dustin
Is that Scott a 10g or a 12g?

How long are the bbls?

Thanks.

OWD
duckone how much for the scott?
Judging from the outward appearance one can only guess as to the innards....
joe: now you should know better than that. innards rarely reflect the condition of the outward appearance...after all, if that were the case we would all be dead by 50...

by the way, how are you? hope all is well with you and yours.
duckone: your scott is a luverly old gun with lots a charisma...

it would he fun to sell this one.

if you decide to sell it, i do take consignments. my fee would be 10 % of the selling price. also, i have the services of a wonderful old gunsmith who can fix/replace the trigger and re lay the rib for a reasonable amount.

ed good on gunsamerica

ed1 on gunbroker
barrells are 30"
She's a 12 gauge.
During my google searches,I came across Excellentia's that had minimal engraving,finally came across two which matched the engraving on mine,both of which referenced the Kell engraving,still searching for actual documentation of model,one of the guns was on gunsinternational,I belive the other was Bass Pro Springfiled gun shop,now that our liberal office manager killed my lunch time searches of gun sites,by not allowing us construction types to surf guns,gambling etc,on company copmputer(pretty sad for an electricalcontracting firm)I'm forced to search in the evenings.
Thank you for the input,got them posted.
Haven't given much thought as to selling price,what would you offer. To give you history of gun,My uncle now deceased,avid waterfowler here in the peoples republic of maryland,susquehanna flats/chesapeake bay area,had the gun. I'm 51 years old,had hunted with my uncle and father many times when I was in my teens ,but had never heard anything about this particular gun.My uncle was all ways with his Winchester Super x pump.I received the scott roughly 20 years ago,what got me interested again was that his son recently gave me the old Ithaca and his trusty SuperX,I did take the Super X out this year and busted several geese and ducks.The scott which my aunt gave me spent several years in there attic I'm sure in excessive heat.Thus causing rib to start to lift in center of barrels(30"),checkering is there but not really pronounced,if you need more pictures send me an email,and I'll get you more,and use macro lense on camera for more detailed shots if.I did snap a few primers in her several years ago,but haven't done any recently.
Thanks I'll keep you in mind if I go that route
Thanks,was curious about its history,I know in the area I live Chesapeake Bay/Susquehanna Flats lots of hunters from philly on down came to the area,don't know if documentation was kept or shoudl I say survied to this day,but finding some rather interesting info as Im digging.Have been reading several forums on here,always interesting,getting quite the education on doubles.
What's the inside of the barrels look like? Pits? Private message sent duckone
duckone,
Records show that the Scott Excellentia Triplex was in production from 1884-1890.In 1884 Harry Kell was 14 years old joining his fathers business.The most likely engraver of your gun was:
James Charles Scott a member of the Scott Family, who following art studies,focused his outstanding talents on engraving Scott Guns.In 1887 James became head of the family business.
For further info on the Scott family see Douglas Tates book,"The Birmingham Gun Makers." Incuded in the book are some excellent pictures of a "Scott Excellentia Triplex", which I believe at one time resided in my collection.
Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
duckone,
Records show that the Scott Excellentia Triplex was in production from 1884-1890.In 1884 Harry Kell was 14 years old joining his fathers business.The most likely engraver of your gun was:
James Charles Scott a member of the Scott Family, who following art studies,focused his outstanding talents on engraving Scott Guns.In 1887 James became head of the family business.
For further info on the Scott family see Douglas Tates book,"The Birmingham Gun Makers." Incuded in the book are some excellent pictures of a "Scott Excellentia Triplex", which I believe at one time resided in my collection.

Thank you Roy, great info.
great,thanks,I'm going to see about ordering it and another I found on line about scotts.rather interested in this Kell engraving,have you heard anything about Holland and Holland possibly having info on guns produced by scott,serial number wise?I'm going to have to start printng out some info I find while surfing net,getting old cant remember where I was on some sites Thanks once again.If i ever get caught up at work.i'll post pictures of Ithica,hopefully this weekend.
Originally Posted By: duckone
Haven't given much thought as to selling price,what would you offer.

Not an offer...from what I can see I would expect the gun to sell for $300 to $900 bucks....depending on bore condition.
Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
duckone,

Roy,

Comparing the engraving of the Excellentia B on page 115 of Tate's "Birmingham Gunmakers" to the engraving of the Lefever "Thousand Dollar Grade" on page 226 of Elliot's book "Uncle Dan Lefever, Master Gunmaker" shows a remarkable similarity. Elliot mentions that the late Lanny Sampson felt the engraver of the Lefever was Alb Brown who taught at the Fine Arts School in Birmingham and also engraved for W & C Scott.

The geese on the left sideplates look almost identical. If not the same engraver, at least the style is the same.

Jeff
Fullandfuller, you'll find those same animals on high end Remington 1894s like the E Grades.
I personally believe that the engraver responsible for the wild life scenes on Excellentias, Premiers, etc was probably James Charles Scott, or at least someone apprenticed to him. I've read accounts that J.C. Scott was a avid naturalist and had a passion for engraving fowl.

I think Albert Brown (A.A. Brown & son) would've been too young to engrave guns in the 1880's, his father Joe Brown might have had a hand in some of these guns, I believe Joe was the instructor at the engraving school. Both Joe and Albert had a talent for carving deep relief oak and ivy fences.

Dustin
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com