doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ballistix999 1879 Purdey Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 08:35 PM
Hi folks, this was a real on the fence one for me. I really liked this gun however I needed to sell another to fund it's purchase (rather than keep hitting my families next egg). Out of shear fluke, or gods will, a chap that wanted a gun I had for sale at my gun dealer had just left having decided not to buy it. I chased after him once I had realised (having crossed paths in the shop) that I should make him see sense. Anyway, bargained in the car park and the chap bought it from me after I reduced my price. This allowed me to feel better about investing in the Purdey.

As you can see it needs a lot of work. It is however original steel barrels (early) with 28-31 tho in the barrels...so really good. However, it needs re-stocking and for me this is no small consideration. I've managed to secure a complete restock for an amazing price. I paid a good price for the wood, although I am still not sure whether the wood is good enough, I think the figure under that will be nice and I'll ask for it to be darkend a lot. So I've bitten the bullet. This is an heirloom for my son. I want this to stay in my family. I'm going to go the whole hog, re-picked and I'm going to ask Ray St Ledger to do his magic. I gear my CCH days are coming to close.

Here it is guys. If you are going to tell me I've made a horrible mistake please don't post smile. Because it was a close call for me. My projects are getting far and few between now but for some strange reason I wanted this. The stock on it was a replacement, no drops, just horrid. I know I'm nuts...just don't tell me smile

T

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 08:58 PM
Tony, with your skills and those of others you'll solicit I think this Purdey will become the debutante of the ball, in all its glory. Well done and I can't wait to see pictures of the work in progress. I'm green with envy.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 09:30 PM
Tony,
A really neat gun! I especially like that the area underneath the locks is all wood, very cool. Speaking of wood, who knows what the present stock might look like were it freshened up, however the stock blank you have there I'm sure will look better. What a beautiful heirloom to leave to your son!
Steve
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 09:54 PM
Tony ,I was wondering if you finally got it...fantastic!!!
The blank is beautiful IMO,I wish I was closer, I would love to to see the project in the flesh

Good luck with it!!!
Tony,

I am storing a similar Purdey. It is SN 8854. It belongs to Toby Barclay of Heritage Guns. It is part of his US inventory.
By chance, is your gun close in SN to 8854? The guns could be twins. You can view the gun on his website.

http://heritageguns.co.uk/

Joe
Hey joe it's 10584 I think so a bit later. Will take a look at tobys site. Newf you are welcome here anytime.
T
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 10:22 PM
Tony, you were absolutely correct in seizing the opportunity.

Had you not, just think of how much you'd be kicking yourself now for letting it slip away.

The blank looks terrific. Everything else on the gun is right, and NO buggered screws. Barrel width is right on. This is going to be one beautiful gun.
Hi Joe, VERY similar gun. Mine is a bit later I think, but later enough to have original chopper steels. It's going to be an interesting project for sure.

T
Hope so Marc...I want to shoot it so need to get on with it! smile

T
Hi Tony,

I know you do your own work but I am happy to finish the barrels for you f.o.c if it helps speed the job along.

all the best

Paul
Thanks Paul, that's very kind. It's a juggling act. My stocker will need the whole thing of course and it's not my usual man who didnt want the hassle of a bar-in-wood. So this is someone recommended to me..but he'll take 5-6 weeks which is an age for me. I'll do the barrels, blacking barrels and furniture and finish the stock and then have my checkering mate Mike work his magic.

Thank you for the kind offer...you never know I might come back to you.
Cheers
T
Posted By: Sam Ogle Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/11/12 10:48 PM
Before you decide the old wood isn't good enough, be sure to clean it up.
I just have been cleaning an old J.P.Sauer & Sohn stock from about 1854, and underneath all that old gunk and grime....HOLY SMOKE!
AAAA Walnut. I have a respected wood man who said before I cleaned it up: "Sam, it's too far gone to refinish." I took it back to him, and he said "Oh, gee, keep this stock, and I will help you with it." Yes, yes, I know "Pictures" Not yet, boys, she doesn't have her clothes on yet.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/12/12 12:49 AM
If you are what passes for nuts I wish we all were a little more nuts. I say go for it. Charge full speed ahead and do not look back.

You have done a lot to bring back doubles which were near the point of no return. Restoration often is not economically feasible when you are in the trade. Much nicer to have others absorb the cost or do the work.

I am sure others will consider doing the same based on the results that you have gotten. Maybe not full restocking and full metal refinish in all cases but trying to bring a sound gun back to life is a goal all of us can get behind.
Posted By: Cameron Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/12/12 01:01 AM
Tony,

A beautiful firearm that your son will cherish, I'm sure! Now, get it done for all us here to drool over.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: 1879 Purde Bar In Wood - New Project - 02/12/12 02:07 AM
Good man Tony
That will be a "Pisser" when she'd done man.
So the fabled St Ray will be putting her in his oven, eh?
I have a Greener Hammer that he did, the colours are just awesome...it was done in the 70-'s, & when I bought it about 6 years ago, so the colours had worn in a bit ( which I like)...they are just super,& a very lovely even coverage.
Can't wait to see his work , & of course yours mate
Keep us posted
Cheers
Franc

Franc
Cheers Franc. As you know I do CCH but I wanted ray to do this one. I'll do as much as I can!

My only fear is that Ray might have a queue...

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com