doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dave M. Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 02:05 AM
If I go to another state, for a shoot for example. And a person at this shoot wants to buy my gun. Can I sell it to him without going through an FFL. It would be a person to person sale, but I wouldn't be in my state of residents.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 03:05 AM
I would think you would have be in your home state. I'm sure sales like that happen all the time though. They're called gun shows.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 03:32 AM
The correct way would be to go to an FFL there, in the buyer's state. Same as any other interstate sale, to have the transfer of ownership and background check, if applicable, legally done(by the FFL holder).
Posted By: M D Christian Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 01:16 PM
I agree with Jim Legg, it must go thru a FFL holder, The exception would be a pre 1898 gun.. MDC
Posted By: RMC Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 01:36 PM
Thought there was something about adjacent states that allows for purchase and sales of long guns between them. Randy
Posted By: Halvey Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 01:55 PM
How about checking the ATF website?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17
Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a gun from a private person who resides in another State, the gun will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State.

So, if you are both non FFLs, you need to go through an FFL. But, you can buy a long gun from a FFL in another state if state laws (both of them) allow it.

As far as the gunshow comment...if a FFL is selling at a gunshow, he calls in the 4473, its not going to go through. Of course if they are both non FFLs, the law, as stated above is the law. Why risk it to save a few bucks in a transfer fee?
Posted By: Dave M. Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 02:25 PM
Thanks Guys, I thought the only time a person to person transfer was legal, was between two adults from the same state. Long gun that is.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Another FFL Question - 01/31/07 05:58 PM
This last statement is correct. The answer to your first post question is NO.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com